This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask Cleaning by the Book!

O.K. I've had a chance to dig out the manuals on my masks, this is what they say. I must admit that I did not bother to read these when I received my masks. As the Clinic Staff had said use baby wipes and wash with shampoo.!

Resmed Ultra Mirage

Cleaning the mask in the home
    Notes:-
    Wash your hands before cleaning the mask.
    Wash the headgear before first time use, as the dye may run. It is important to always hand wash the headgear.
    The headgear may be washed without being disassembled.

Daily/After each Use
    Hand wash the mask components in warm (approx. 30C), soapy water for one minute. Use pure soap. Rinse the components well with drinking quality water and allow them to air dry out of direct sunlight.
    To clean the valve membrane, immerse it in soapy water and gently rub the membrane to remove any foreign matter. Rinse the membrane and allow it to air dry out of direct sunlight.
    Inspect the valve membrane for wear and deterioration. If the valve membrane is damaged, distorted or torn, replace it with a new valve membrane. Ensure that the membrane is clean and dry before reinserting it into the valve.
    Puffins note:- Valve is inside the mask were the elbow joins the mask.

Weekly
    Hand wash the headgear in warm (approx. 30C), soapy water. Use pure soap. Rinse well and allow it to air dry out of direct sunlight.
    Caution Do not use bleach, chlorine, alcohol or aromatic-based solutions, moisturising or antibacterial soaps or scented oils to clean any of the mask components. These solutions may cause damage and reduce the life of the produce.
    Do not expose any parts of the mask system or tubing to direct sunlight as it may cause the product to deteriorate.
    The headgear is sensitive to heat and must not be ironed.
    If any visible deterioration of the mask component is apparent (cracking, crazing, tears, etc.) the mask components should be discarded and replaced.

Respironics Comfortfull 2

Important! Hand wash Mask before use.

Cleaning Instructions
    For Home Use: Begin by removing or disconnecting the headgear from the mask. Clean the headgear at least once each week or more often if needed. Fasten the hook tabs on the straps so that they don't catch other garments in the laundry.

Mask and Cushion
    Thoroughly clean the mask each day, immediately after each use, using the hand wash instructions. In addition to hand washing, the mask may be thoroughly cleaned in the dishwasher once a week.

Hand Wash Instructions
    Step 1
    Hand wash the mask in warm water with a mild dish washing detergent.Do not use bleach, alcohol, cleaning solutions containing alcohol or any strong household cleaners. Do not use cleaners containing conditioners or moisturisers.
    Step 2
    Rinse thoroughly. Air dry. Make sure the mask is dry before use. Inspect the mask after cleaning. Replace the mask if any parts are damaged or deteriorated.

Dishwasher Instructions
    With normal use and proper care, the mask has an expected useful life of six months. Depending on frequency of use, care, and cleaning, useful life expectancy may be up to one year.
    Step 1
    Wash the mask in the top shelf of the dishwasher. Note: Place the cushion with the rigid side down to avoid deformation of the cushion. Do not wash the headgear in the dishwasher.
    Step 2
    Make sure the mask is dry before use. Air dry if necessary. Inspect the mask after cleaning. Replace the mask if any parts are damaged or deteriorated.
    Caution! Use liquid dish washing detergent only.

Headgear with Swivel Clip Mask Accessories
    Step 1
    Hand or machine wash the headgear and attached swivel clips with a standard laundry detergent and warm water. Rinse thoroughly. Do not use bleach.
    Step 2
    Line dry or machine dry at medium heat setting.
    Note: Slight readjustment of the straps may be needed after repeated washings.
    Last edited by puffin; 2nd January 2008, 23:50.
    Regards and Good Luck, Barry
    Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Thanks Puffin, made it 'sticky' for all to read right at the top of the Masks section.
    Cheers, Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe, there seemed to be some confussion about cleaning masks. Med. Techs. saying one thing, companies saying something else! I was not given any manuals when I first picked up my kit. So I've blindly been following my Med. Techs distructables.
      Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Comment

I have been using Boots antiseptic wipes (the sort you use on cuts and graises) to clean my mask and tank for the last 4 years or so and still have the first mask I was given, and use it as a spare.

These wipe are available in a self dispencing tube/tub that keeps them moist. I have not had a single problem with sore spots in all that time.

Note these are not the antibacterial wipes sold to clean tables or clean kids faces etc. The correct ones are sold with the first aid dressings and plasters.

Peter

Comment

Hi flyinpete
          I've been using Costco own brand Kirkland baby wipes on a daily basis and washing once a week with a teatree shampoo for at least 6months with no ill effects. I suspect makers are being careful to avoid blame if something fails on the mask!

Comment

I tried some of Boots anti bacterial wipes and the silicon mask went cloudy after a few weeks. Stil works, but I only use the anticeptic one now.

Peter

Comment

Just been give another mask to try, which is No. 7 if you include my prize mask. Here are the cleaning instructions.

FISHER & PAYKEL
              FLEXIFIT 431 FULL FACE MASK

Cleaning Instructions
              To ensure continuing safety and comfort for your FlexiFit 431 Full Face Mask:

Before first use:
              1) Hand wash the head gear in pure soap dissolved in lukewarm water. Do not soak for longer than 15 minutes, then rinse in fresh water and allow to dry out of direct sunlight. It is not necessary to remove the clip from the mask when washing.

After each use:
              1) Disassemble the silicone Seal, Elbow, Non-re breathing Valve, and the headgear from the mask base.
              2) Wash the Silicone Seal, Elbow, Valve and Mask Base in pure soap dissolved in lukewarm water. Do not soak for longer than 15 minutes, then rinse in fresh water.
              3) Leave all parts to dry, away from direct sun light before reassembling.

Every 7 days:
              1) Hand wash the Headgear in pure soap dissolved in lukewarm water. Do not soak for longer than 15 Minutes, then rinse in fresh water and allow to air dry out of direct sunlight. It is not necessary to remove the clip from the headgear when washing.

Caution:
              > Do not soak the mask for longer than 15 minutes.
              > Do not wash the mask in the dishwasher.
              > Do not clean the mask with products containing alcohol, chlorine, antibacterial agents or bleach.
              > Do not store in direct sunlight.
              > The above actions may deteriorate or damage the mask and shorten it's life. If your mask weakens or cracks, seek replacement immediately.

Comment

hi all
                I have found the best thing to use is steradent tablets for false teeth, just fill the basin with fairly hot water dismatle all the bits and leave them to soak for a 1/2 an hour then let it all air dry before re-assemling, spotless and the spearminty aroma isn't to offputting either
                Anneliz, Resmed S8 with humidifier
                Resmed Quattro mask

Comment

Dr Bronners magic soap is excellent. I use it on the mask and my face. You can also use it as shampoo and toothpaste! I think I'll stick with Colgate.

Comment

Just found this.

http://www.resmed.com/en-uk/assets/d...de-row-eng.pdf

Comment

I still prefer the steredent leaves all parts spotless, I have reduced the soak time to 15mins but it still works a treat
                      Anneliz, Resmed S8 with humidifier
                      Resmed Quattro mask

Comment

Wish I had the time to do all this cleaning that seems to be required but the truth is I wash the mask and tube once a week in good old fairy liquid, rinse in warm water and air dry. Seems to work fine.

As yet I don't have problems with spots, rashes or anything else and the hospital have informed me that I will get two masks a year.

Comment

Care of Nose Pillows and Head Gear

I think every one is right--its seems there are endles instructions on how to care for these precious items. My instructions for the Nose Pillow and head straps are this:
                          Use distilled water only in the humidifer tank. Everyday wash the Humidifier Tank and Nose Pillows and hose in Mild Soapy warm water (I use baby shampoo) I bought a pastic bucket just for the washing. Take apart any pieces that are connected and wash each piece well. Rise 3 times in running warm tap water and air dry. The head straps should be washed once a week (more often if you need to) Hang to dry. Never use the dishwasher or water hotter than your hands can stand. Once a week soak all parts in Warm 1/2 gal of water to which is added 1/2 cup vinegar for 1/2 hour. Rinse til the vinegar smell is gone, and hang to dry. Use a thin long soft brush on parts that may have hard water residue buildup. Clean the CPAP and Humidifier with a damp paper towel. NEVER use harsh chemicals on any plastic parts as they may cause damage. The instuctions say "Air Dry"--but I can't do that. I have cats and anything air dried could get cat hair or dander on it. I dry everything (but the head straps) with a roll of paper towels that I keep in my case at all times, to keep it from away from the open air. I suppose air drying is dependant on how clean your air might be. So far that has worked for me. I think the vinegar clears hard water deposits and kills some germs. Different strokes for different folks! Berneta

Comment

Mask Assembly

Comment

Life's too short...

... to clean it more than once a week!

Perhaps I'm lucky that I live in a soft water area.
                              ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier and ClimateLine
                              ResMed Mirage Liberty and Quattro Air masks
                              Sinupulse

Comment

Working...
                              X