This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fredxx View Post
    the "nasal inhaler" - if it is a steroid based one like Otravine, be careful with using it more than a few days at a time. It is great for dealing with a cold, but can cause a "steroid bounce" of worse symptoms when you stop, and if you don't stop it can cause damage.

the Sinupulse is a good alternative if you can afford it
    Nah! It's just Vicks. I may consider the Sinupulse but I hate the thought of anything going up my nose! Haven't checked it out in a while so maybe you don't stick something up your nose at all! QM

Comment

Sinupulse

The only thing that goes up your nose is salted water; up one nostril,and down the other. You wouldn't do it for fun but its only mildly unpleasant. The benefits are outstanding. If you can afford one, buy one!
      ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier and ClimateLine
      ResMed Mirage Liberty and Quattro Air masks
      Sinupulse

Comment

Originally posted by Berneta View Post
        I have cats and anything air dried could get cat hair or dander on it. Berneta
        Hi Berneta, just reading old posts (life is soooo exciting) and i'm curious, what is "cat dander"? To go for a dander is a walk here, i know it aint that, so im curious as to what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
          Hi Berneta, just reading old posts (life is soooo exciting) and i'm curious, what is "cat dander"? To go for a dander is a walk here, i know it aint that, so im curious as to what it is?
          Cat dander consists of microscopic pieces of dry cat skin which becomes airborne, landing on bedding, curtains, carpeting, and other surfaces, including humans' skin and clothing. Cat dander particles are tiny, about 1/10th the size of dust mites.

I am intruiged to know if anyone uses the simple neti pots, and how much benefit they get from them?

Comment

Originally posted by QuietMan View Post
            On the cold issue, it seems to me that I am a lot more nasal and blocked up since starting the mask. I bought a nasal inhaler and, more recently, oil of Marjoram for the humidifier(it was toss up between eucalyptus and it).
            Happy New Year everyone.
            Update: I have had a cold for about 3 weeks, just clearing up really..(work colleague and Mistletoe! I blame her.) Anyway, the only relief I have had is in bed with the CPAP, to my surprise. It must be the air pressure. Also, I have started using the wife's Olbas oil instead of Marjoram and Eucalyptus. Doesn't smell nice but It's very effective.

As regards the mask, it is now second nature to adjust the mask or, more likely, my sleeping position. I cracked the frame of the silicon skirt retainer in two places and it still works ok. The straps have got a bit curly at the ends of the velcro. I have to listen for leaking air andf find if I sleep in certain positions, it remains tight. Checked stats recently and AHI still < 2. I am thinking of ringing the rental company to get a new mask now. I actually struggle to sleep without the mask on the rare occasion when I demask in the morning sometimes.

Life is much better with the CPAP. No snoring, very infrequent nighttime urination, very little doziness during the day and evening. Happy days. QM
            (perhaps this is in the wrong thread?)

Comment

Bloomin' 'eck...

I run a sink full of soapy water and bung the mask plastics in it and leave. I tend to make sure the soap gets all around the cushion and that there are no obvious marks then rinse and dry.

The strap is a different story as I'm diabetic and if my sugars rise at night I sweat profusely. That makes the strap smell and I hate it. So I tend to use a medicated shampoo to wash it and leave it for a few hours to completely dry.

I'm not sure it's necessary or desirable to use medical strength wipes as sometimes the chemicals affect latex and plastics. It's the same with diabetic needles and test prickers. You just don't need harsh chemicals when normal soap and water works fine. I've only had one problem with a mask cushion where it developed a sort of rough surface and brought on a localised rash on my cheeks. No idea why but a replacement was obtained.
              Mart -- Happy CPAP User since 2005.
              Resmed S9 Escape + H5i + Climateline and Quattro FX.
              EPR On and Pressure 12cm.

Comment

Regarding colds: I find a few drops of Olbas Oil on a tissue placed near (not over) the CPAP air intake works wonders. Don't overdo it though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
                  Regarding colds: I find a few drops of Olbas Oil on a tissue placed near (not over) the CPAP air intake works wonders. Don't overdo it though.

As Chris has stated, don't overdo it......prolonged exposure to strong inhalants like olbas oil can lead to the lining of the nose being damaged..Use when you need to and refrain when not really necessary.
                  Peter
                  CPAP : Resmed S9 Escape
                  MASK : Resmed Swift FX

Comment

Originally posted by acebass View Post
                    As Chris has stated, don't overdo it......prolonged exposure to strong inhalants like olbas oil can lead to the lining of the nose being damaged..Use when you need to and refrain when not really necessary.
                    I've used albas oil for years and never suffered any ill effects, maybe some people are more susceptible than others. Haven't used it for a while but when I did I put a few drops on a hanky and placed it on my pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Armageddon View Post
                      I've used albas oil for years and never suffered any ill effects, maybe some people are more susceptible than others. Haven't used it for a while but when I did I put a few drops on a hanky and placed it on my pillow.

The advice I gave was not my own, although I do follow it....It was mentioned by the Doctors at SATADay a couple of years ago when someone mentioned using Olbas regularly...
                      Peter
                      CPAP : Resmed S9 Escape
                      MASK : Resmed Swift FX

Comment

I don't know about actual damage, but I do know that it is much more effective when used sparingly.

Which is why I like the tissue by the CPAP inlet method. It clears my head pretty quickly, and once I am breathing right, it's easy to just knock the tissue away, so I am not breathing it all night. I find that once I am breathing through my mask, it tends to stay clear, even without more olbas. Should the congestion come back, I just put the tissue back again.

Comment

It is the steroid based inhaler (such as Otravine) which tends to give the worst damage if used too much

Comment

Working...
                          X