Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remove their mask without remembering it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remove their mask without remembering it?

Just in the past couple of nights, I've woken up without my mask on. The CPAP machine seems to be off.

Does this happen to anyone else and have you found a way to wake you up to put the mask back on?

I have a Philips System One REMstar Auto CPAP System.

Chris

I sometimes have a tendency to take my mask off during the night - unfortunately this only ever seems to coincide with times when I have had a drink or two

Comment

Off With the Mask

HI Chris, When I first got my CPAP I used to wake without the mask on sometimes--the machine would still be on. Apparently I got uncomfortable while I was new to the mask and just took it off in my sleep. A chin strap helped. I had to really wake up all the way to take that off too. I don't know if drinking is a factor in this--as I don't drink. But one thing is for sure--it takes time to get used to wearing your mask and you may wake several times to find it off. Eventually you will get used to it and not take it off. But if you get a cold or stopped nose that may be a factor in taking the mask off. IF we don't get enough air--off goes the mask. Don't be too worried about this--just give yourself some time to get used to the mask, or to find out if you have a cold stopping your nose. xx Berneta

Comment

I still seem to be removing it, but with the addition of Remzzzs liners, I've brought my AHI from 17 to 3.1! Just wish they weren't so costly, but they make such a difference. Chris

Comment

I do it all the time. In fact I think my sub conscious has learned how to do it. Checking the stats on my machine - it is usually about 30 minutes after falling asleep. This is about 7 nights out of 10. If I wake up again during the night Iwill put it back on - and then I don't take it off when I am asleep...
          DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
          Sleepweaver

Comment

We've had a few people tell us they use hair clips to attach the headgear to their hair. It may not stop you trying to take the mask off, but at least you'll know as soon as it happens!
            Tom @ Intus

You can now follow Intus on Twitter!

Comment

I seem to be taking mine off every night. It isn't that I don't remember as such, but am very much half-asleep so that I don't know what I'm doing (vague recollection of thinking 'I'll just take it off for a moment').

Next thing I know, it's the next day.

This seems to happen almost every night and I've been using CPAP for about 4 weeks now. There was only one night I had it on for the entire night, and that was in week 2.

I am putting this down to not being used to it - would this be normal behaviour, and if so, how long does it normally take to acclimatise?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by swindonstu View Post
                I seem to be taking mine off every night. It isn't that I don't remember as such, but am very much half-asleep so that I don't know what I'm doing (vague recollection of thinking 'I'll just take it off for a moment').

Next thing I know, it's the next day.

This seems to happen almost every night and I've been using CPAP for about 4 weeks now. There was only one night I had it on for the entire night, and that was in week 2.

I am putting this down to not being used to it - would this be normal behaviour, and if so, how long does it normally take to acclimatise?

Thanks.
                Yes this is one of the top 5 complaints for newbies, it can last a few weeks then your body begins to adjust and it will still be there when you wake. Its like someone touching your nose when your asleep you will try and splat it although your asleep. It will pass, most of us on here have been through it at some point

Comment

An update: I was really lucky, I researched the masks that would best suit me and started using Remzzzs liners that stopped all leaks immediately. I think the combination of a good fitting mask and the liners stopped me taking my mask off in the night (without knowing it). I might have done it once or twice since in the last 4 months.

Comment

I'm more amazed that occasionally I don't remember coming home but still wake up with my mask on and straps well adjusted. I'm sure gail (nickname for machine, as in gale force wind) is using subliminal programming on me !!

Comment

Well, I've been using a CPAP for two, or is it three now, years and I still wake up sometimes and have removed my mask while half asleep. So it's nt just newbies. Shrug.

Comment

My habits in this area include pulling the oximeter sensor off my finger, and attempting to throw the hose over my shoulder.

Comment

Hi, I'm a new member and a new Cpap user. I only started using it three nights ago and this morning woke to find my mask at the side of the bed and the machine off. About half of the water s gone out of the machine so it must of been right in the middle of the night. I had no recollection of taking it off.
                          I am really relieved that this is a common problem when getting used to using the machine. Is there an average "bedding in time" or is it different for everyone?
                          Sleeping with the mask on is much harder than I imagined, it takes me ages to go to sleep as I find when I put the mask on I start to breath manually, thinking about every breath rather than just breathing naturally. Did anyone else find they did this?

Comment

Hi Nicktheman, and welcome to the madhouse...umm...colony of hoseheads

Everyone's experience is individual, with some taking to it like a duck to water straight away, and others taking a while. most people seems to take a couple of weeks to get sorted initially though. Patience and perseverance is the key.

The question of thinking about breathing when you put the mask on - many people have reported getting past this type of thing by wearing the mask earlier in the evening, watching tv etc (probably not eating dinner though...). the theory is that if you can get your brain used to it when you are awake, your sub-conscious will accept it better when you sleep. you do want it set up and running when you do that, and yes, you will feel stupid, but trust me, a couple of evenings of stupid is well worth it when you start to feel less exhausted.

Comment

This is a great idea, I usually do a couple of hours Xbox before I go to bed so I will wear it then. Thanks for the advice and the welcome, much appreciated. I am going to have a good read of the rest of the threads on here now. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X