No announcement yet.

CPAP and losing weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck its as well i'm cute as all get out. Not sure what that means but I think it's good. And the Cpap (Gail) is way much better than the snoring. She makes a nice gentle whoosh, my snoring was an audible interpretation of a congested jet engine trying to digest a small hippo, or so I am led to believe.

Comment

Dang just thought of one, I used a funghi-cide because I'm a fun guy (funghi).......why do these always come a bit too late.

Comment

Some things are better never than late.
        Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
        Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

'Tis not often something makes me laugh out loud but that did
          What's the betting I don't remember it when the chance to use it arises?
          APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
          Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers Fan View Post

True , alas, but I can't help myself..it's either reflex or reflux

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers Fan View Post
              Same could be said for my weight loss

I lost the weight I'd lost and found some that I lost earlier and put it all back on

Comment

Originally posted by Barely Awake View Post
                Diagnosed 7 years ago I didn't start losing weight on CPAP until I restructured my diet (to counter diabetes) coinciding with a new mask and an APAP machine both of which suit me very well. As I don't exercise at all, not even walking, I put the weight loss down purely to my diet changes at first, but I then noticed from my sleep diary that weight loss varied with sleep. Anecdotal I know, but roughly speaking a week of good sleep will see me lose a pound even if I have strayed from the diet, whereas sticking to the diet on a bad week for sleep will see me stay the same or put a pound or even two back on.

Anyone else noticed this, or am I imagining it?
                Hello there,

You are absolutely right, treating your OSA can in fact help you to achieve your weight loss goals. When you have untreated sleep apnoea, your body is not getting a great quality of sleep, which can cause you to gain weight as your metabolism slows down. When you treat your OSA with CPAP therapy, you get a better quality of sleep so your metabolism goes back to normal, helping you achieve your weight loss goals more quickly.

There is a great article that you can read that explains how OSA can affect your weight, and contribute back pain if left untreated. Read the full article here and let us know what you think.
                intus.pro/osa-backpain

Looking forward to hearing your response.

Ellen

Comment

HI Haven't been here for a few years. Saw the thread title...
                  Yes I can believe it makes a difference to be awake, in losing weight. Over about 30months I went from BMI 42 to 26. Sometimes it wouldn't shift. I didn't find exercise helpful beyond doing something to get a bit puffy every day. That much was deffo worth it though. A brisk 15 minute walk does it. Knee arthritis was the incentive to lose weight - yes walking is a bit easier now..
                  Had a sleep test at the lowest weight point and there was some improvement in SA, but not massive.
                  I got through the night OK without the machine from about BMI 37 downwards, but I still notice if I go without it for long. All too often I fall asleep in a chair at midnight and wake up at 5 am.
                  Even at 1200 cals/day I stopped losing weight and got very bored, so as expected have put some back on.
                  Tip - if the weight loss plateaus, switch to Atkins for a couple of weeks then go back as you were, for me it kickstarted the loss again.

Biggest advantage of the APAP I use (Cpaps blow me up) is that it drowns out my wife's snoring.

Comment

My sons lost a lot of weight through Slimming World. The amount they ate at meals was amazing and they still lost a lot of weight.
                    It is down to what you eat, not the amount apparently. I found they were eating things that a dietitian tells you not to eat.
                    I found it a bit confusing, but it appears to work and they didn't go hungry.
                    If you are finding it hard, give them a go. Loosing weight helps most people, but not all. It will help with walking etc, but sometimes there are other reasons why some still have Sleep Apnoea after loosing weight.
                    I know a couple of people that are very thin and have sleep apnoea. Well done on the weight loss, it will help with a lot of medical conditions.
                    You should not try sleeping without the machine, it the pressure appears to high get the Sleep Lad to adjust it. If you feel tired after a few days it would suggest you are still suffering from Sleep Apnoea.
                    Good luck with loosing more weight and well done on what you have lost.
                    S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Originally posted by Dopey Plumber View Post
                      HI Haven't been here for a few years. Saw the thread title...
                      Yes I can believe it makes a difference to be awake, in losing weight. Over about 30months I went from BMI 42 to 26. Sometimes it wouldn't shift. I didn't find exercise helpful beyond doing something to get a bit puffy every day. That much was deffo worth it though. A brisk 15 minute walk does it. Knee arthritis was the incentive to lose weight - yes walking is a bit easier now..
                      Had a sleep test at the lowest weight point and there was some improvement in SA, but not massive.
                      I got through the night OK without the machine from about BMI 37 downwards, but I still notice if I go without it for long. All too often I fall asleep in a chair at midnight and wake up at 5 am.
                      Even at 1200 cals/day I stopped losing weight and got very bored, so as expected have put some back on.
                      Tip - if the weight loss plateaus, switch to Atkins for a couple of weeks then go back as you were, for me it kickstarted the loss again.

Biggest advantage of the APAP I use (Cpaps blow me up) is that it drowns out my wife's snoring.
                      Well done for losing weight, you're definitely heading in the right direction to do all you can to relieve some of your OSA symptoms. Excess weight, especially if it is around your throat/chin area can cause your sleep apnoea to be worsened as it causes further obstructions to your airways so eating healthier and going for a 30-45 min walk several days a week can really help relieve your symptoms. This can take several months to take an impact on your body weight, but by the sounds of it, you've done a really great job so far! I'm not sure if you've heard of our Healthy Tips website but it gives you some great tips and advice for treating OSA through a healthy nutritious diet and frequent exercise. Click the link below to check it out, you might find it of interest.

I would suggest that you use your CPAP machine every single night as it is a long-term therapy solution and not a cure. So the nights when you go without the CPAP machine are actually pushing you back and will only bring back symptoms that you are trying to treat and get rid of. It's great to hear that your therapy is not only improving your life but your partner's also.

Like I said, check out our Healthy Tips website below and let us know if there are any topics you would like us to cover in a later post. We hope you find it useful!
                      Bringing you lots of inspiration, great health advice and life changing top tips. We've got all you need to ensure you are gaining a better health and improved quality of life.

Comment

I was advised by my consultant about adjusting pressures and investigating the effects of not using the machine.
                        I wouldn't advise anyone what to do, or suggest that they take advice from a Web forum - from people without a full picture.

"It's great to hear that your therapy is . . . . .improving your partner's (life). " ?? It's made no difference for her.

Comment

And I put weight ON with Slimming World, as did many others. If you look at the statistical distribution of daily requirements across the population, the commercial diets are way too generous for some.

Comment

Working...
                          X