Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are children more likely to get sleep apnea if a parent has it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are children more likely to get sleep apnea if a parent has it?

hi,
    my hubby has severe sleep apnea, we have a 5 year old, 3 year old and another on the way. just wondered if anyone knows if they're likely to get it too?
    thanks

Life style plays a big part in OSA and so do genes.

If hubby is fat and the only one in a few generations to have OSA and the children are fit and slim, probably they won't have it.

If hubby is fit and slim and one of several members of his family to have OSA, watch the kids carefully for symptoms.

Obesity and OSA go together a lot. There may be genetic reasons for having OSA, too.

TF
    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

No, there is no evidence that you can pass this onto your children. Screening for kids has improved 10 fold since the early days of removing tossils, they now beleive that they can screen for sleep abnormalaties through childrens urine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparticus View Post
        No, there is no evidence that you can pass this onto your children. Screening for kids has improved 10 fold since the early days of removing tossils, they now beleive that they can screen for sleep abnormalaties through childrens urine.
        That reminds of the guy that used to take a pee every morning at 6am on the dot every day without fail.
        Problems was:

he never woke up till 7am
        APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
        Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

Children

CHILDREN are a product of genes and environment and life style. No one can say for sure that your children might get OSA. I come from a very large family (11 children) and I am the only one who has OSA. WE all were raised alike, some of us are overweight and some not. At this point no one can say "such and such" causes OSA. But as TF says-- there are some factors that are showing some evidence that various conditions do have a bearing on whether or not we might get OSA. But as yet there is no absolute proof as to what those factors might be. Good Luck and keep a watchful eye on the children. xx Berneta

Comment

Thanks, its a relief 2 hear theres a good chance they dont have/wont get it. My husband could lose a bit of weight but isnt huge or anything, myself and our 2 eldest r slim built. Am debating wether 2 buy a baby monitor with breathing sensorat, but have read mixed reviews on them. Will keep reading 2 hopefuly find the nest. Thankyou!!!!

Comment

All of us here lived for years before we were diagnosed - and I expect the same would be true in your family. You don't need to fret at a ahigh level - being aware and watching for symptoms should be enough.

The obvious one is whether they are tired out every day and fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

TF

Comment

I was told that it can be passed on through family genes by my Doctor 2 weeks ago because my 16 year old daughter is also getting tested for sleep apnea on the 10th of August has she to has been showing signs of it. So i will also ask when she also gets tested if this is right. Seems like people get told different things about medical stuff and TBH it is scary and its also scared my child when my Doctor told us this. She also getting tested has she due to have an operation need to see if she has sleep apnea before they can do the operation.

Comment

Hi sheffgall

OSA can be hereditary but is not necessarily passed generation to generation, according to reports and summaries of studies I've read.

Again, weight and lifestyle may effect a genetic disposition - allegedly.

TF

Comment

Working...
                  X