Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A night without CPAP -not recommended...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A night without CPAP -not recommended...

Last night I had an unintentional half night without cpap. I woke at about 3:15 this morning to find that my mask straps had come undone and was no on my face. A very rude awakening, like the old days with untreated apnoea.

I had my oximiter running last night, which is the first time I've had it running on a night where I've had a nasty event, and this is the first full on apnoea event I've had for over two years, I'd forgotten what it was like.

However hard CPAP may be to get used to and however inconvenient it can be, it beats the terror of waking up in a full andrenaline fuelled panic (I thought I was having a heart attack!) and the disorientation of coming from a deep sleep to a full awake in one big snorting jump.

Sats dropped to 80. Pulse spiked in the 130s. Getting back to sleep took an hour.
    Attached Files

That really does underline what it is all about, it is tough to adapt to CPAP but the benfits can't be overstated.

Comment

Thank goodness for CPAP.

As treatments go, it's pretty outstanding. It may be uncomfortable, but it more-or-less does the job, and there are no long-term side effects.

Comment

I would not be without CPAP, because the alternative does not bear thinking about. I have had 12 hour airline flights and powercuts, and it has taken me days to recover.

CPAP is my friend, my crutch, my guardian angel - I am not religious.

Comment

It is remarkable indeed how on night 1 people can hate the little thing, and then come day 21 in to the therapy, they rather trade in their husband/wife as oppose to the CPAP. The results certainly are worth the effort. Health wise, socially, professionally, it's almost endless.

Comment

James.............em..............are we thinking of opening a spousal swap shop because there is a new lightweight travel cpap machi..................ouch !!

Comment

No more nightmares since starting CPAP and thats nearly 4 years ago.
              I have not missed a night or so I thought.
              Last edited by silvercarper; 26 January 2013, 18:51.
              Resmed S9 Autoset
              Resmed H5i humidifier with Climateline
              Resmed Quatro Fx and F&P Forma masks

Comment

Can always rely on you for good ideas Martin.

Well done Silvercarper for 4 years straight on the blower. And you are quire right, fixing OSA fixes many other sleep issues, like what they call behavioural disorders like sleep terrors, sleep talking, walking etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=James @ Intus;20851]Can always rely on you for good ideas Martin.

If you think that was a good idea you should check my bruise.

Curiously my nightmare/dream events are about the same as pre cpap. My sleep time is about the same though much better quality. Isnt there something about dreams happening in regular cycles so maybe my dreams happened in between the gasping/snorting sessions. Any ideas anyone?

Comment

My experience is that I started dreaming again once my CPAP was stabilised. For ages I'd not made it into a deep enough sleep to dream.

Comment

In my case, it was all dreaming, all of the time, and very vivid dreams, too. I felt exhausted from all the dreaming when I woke up, as though I'd been busy all night. I would literally start dreaming before I was properly asleep. I'd be in a dozing state, still aware of being awake and of things going on around me, but it would be overlaid with dreams. And it felt as though the dreaming never stopped all night long. I still dream a lot now, but it is early days yet, and at least I don't start dreaming before I'm properly asleep anymore.

Certain nightmares seem to correspond with apnea events, too. For instance, I dreamed I was standing outside, waiting for someone, and then the ground beside me just lifted up and folded over me, locking me into the black earth where I couldn't breathe. I woke up having stopped breathing. As a child, I had a lot of dreams about suffocating, drowning or looking at my own corpse, and when I consciously woke up from these, I had stopped breathing and needed to battle to start it up again.

I'm hoping that the treatment will mean an end to those sorts of nightmares: I certainly seem to be having a lot fewer of them since I started it. When I do have them, I wake up with the mask nearly lifting off my face with the pressure of air (I'm still using a temporary APAP machine), so evidently, I have had an apnoea recently.

It's odd how broken and inadequate sleep can result in no dreams but also in too many dreams!

Comment

4 weeks without cpap

I got quite nasty chest infection just before Christmas and the regular coughing made it impossible to wear a mask. I ended up having two courses of antibiotics and the side-effects of the second lot (Doxycycline) were not nice.

The only way I could cope was by getting every spare pillow in the house to create a big ramp in bed so that I was trying to sleep at about a 45 degree angle. Worked reasonably well actually!

Being asthmatic made it quite and uncomfortable time and its also taken a while for my chest to recover. I only managed to start playing table tennis again yesterday and I had to take regular breaks. Since this is a big part of my 'get fit' campaign I've missed it quite badly. Still, I have lost 3/4 of a stone since I started playing back in September (just another 4 stone or so to go!)
                        ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier and ClimateLine
                        ResMed Mirage Liberty and Quattro Air masks
                        Sinupulse

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
                          Curiously my nightmare/dream events are about the same as pre cpap. My sleep time is about the same though much better quality. Isnt there something about dreams happening in regular cycles so maybe my dreams happened in between the gasping/snorting sessions. Any ideas anyone?
                          Some people have OSA throughout the night, in any sleep phase. Quite a few people have REM-related OSA. Because in REM everything goes floppy and you lie there as a sack of sand, the throat is even more floppy too.

So those with REM related OSA may see dream content go up and their dream-sleep-phase - REM - goes up being restored with CPAP. The others, which sounds like you perhaps, may not see a distinct difference.

Comment

Sigh, now I'm a slightly floppy sack of sand.........ok.........can't really argue that one, reasonably accurate.
                            Grumpy don't know if it helps but one time my machine bailed on me, the sitting up was good but those plastic things that expand your nostrils helped to, assuming you are a nose breather that is.
                            Do table tennis tables still fold up in the middle so you can play solitaire on them.

Comment

Aspasia...........wow.......I really hope your improved breathing knocks those dreams on the head. Glad I missed on those. Maybe it will be gentle sping winds and alpine rivers (occasional rainout will cause those ones)

Comment

Working...
                              X