In denial - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In denial - what to do?

A not close family friend has some familiar symptoms - tired all the time, falls asleep in front of the telly and after eating, snores to the point of stopping breathing. This has also come on during a period when his weight has spiralled way above 20 stone.

He drives in connection with his job and is rumoured to have had two accidents in this period, the worrying thing of course is that if true it might be connected with sleepiness. Even more worrying they have small children and they travel with him at times.

His wife has been told all about my exact same symptoms prior to being diagnosed and that the similarity is close enough to suggest her husband needs a sleep study. He has visited the doctor, result being he is being tested for everything but OSA. It seems he either hasn't told them about the snoring or they haven't focused upon it.

One can't do any more than point out the similarities and the dangers?

Can't someone just tell him to say the words 'Sleep aponea' to his GP?
    Surely it is better to go in 'all guns blazing' than to go out to the 'last post'?
    If he is that worried about being forceful get him to take in a print out of the Epworth scale with his answers written on it?
    I don't believe that being 'nice' helps when you are talking about potential deaths and not just his but anyone elses who happens along when he falls asleep driving.

Sorry
    Lorraine
    APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
    Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

A Friend!

If its a family friend and your that concerned then why not send his doctor a letter? State that you are a sufferer and that you think he has the same. The doc will either listen or at least take on board what your saying then he can come up with the diagnosis at his next visit. At least the doctor will be informed and he can take it from there. You could even remain anon. Just a thought

Comment

Most GPs dont know enough about OSA, mine tested me for everything-twice. After 6 months saw a locum and he guessed straight away, by that time I was in a sorry state.

Comment

As his next accident could be a fatal, might it be worth while sending an (anonymous) letter to the DVLA. They will investigate.

Comment

That's a bit harsh, at least give the guy a chance to get it sorted. He is not at fault if he doesn't even know if he has OSA or not.
            I do know that it can takes ages to get a diagnosis, at least he is trying to do the right thing.
            APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
            Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

ElleCee, I was actually supporting your previous post, but being a bit more forceful. If he is OSA he should not be driving, end of. And I don't want to be around if he gets the "last post", in case he takes me with him.

Comment

God preserve us from busy-bodies and moralisers!

This chap in denial has not been diagnosed as having OSA. He has a right to privacy and confidentiality. The Law requires us to report our diagnosed OSA not what our friends with OSA suspect.

There are how many - thousands? - of people with untreated OSA, diagnosed and un-diagnosed, driving around our roads and streets. There are just plain tired-out drivers, let alone drunk and drug using drivers. There are drivers whose tyres are bald, whose brakes are not good. There are drivers using mobile phones.

If we all stick to ensuring our own house is in order perhaps life would be more pleasant for everyone.

TF
                Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
                Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Originally posted by Kipper View Post
                  ElleCee, I was actually supporting your previous post, but being a bit more forceful. If he is OSA he should not be driving, end of. And I don't want to be around if he gets the "last post", in case he takes me with him.
                  A few years before I was diagnosed (it took seven years for me to get diagnosed), I mentioned to a doctor at a hospital that I felt tired all the time, and that I was on the verge of falling asleep.
                  He simply said that if I drove then I should stop driving, as I was a danger to other people. At no time did he mention OSA!
                  Please do not blame the sufferers, blame the so called health professionals!

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers Fan View Post
                    God preserve us from busy-bodies and moralisers!

This chap in denial has not been diagnosed as having OSA. He has a right to privacy and confidentiality. The Law requires us to report our diagnosed OSA not what our friends with OSA suspect.

There are how many - thousands? - of people with untreated OSA, diagnosed and un-diagnosed, driving around our roads and streets. There are just plain tired-out drivers, let alone drunk and drug using drivers. There are drivers whose tyres are bald, whose brakes are not good. There are drivers using mobile phones.

If we all stick to ensuring our own house is in order perhaps life would be more pleasant for everyone.

TF
                    Unlike me I know but I have to applaud this post. Are we now going to start grassing anyone who snores. Get a grip people Im sure a word in this persons ear and some information given for his gp he will be fine.

Nice post TF

Comment

As I postured in the first post:

"One can't do any more than point out the similarities and the dangers?"

I've done all I can and just hope the cause (whatever that may be) is diagnosed and treated.

Comment

Originally posted by Barely Awake View Post
                        As I postured in the first post:

"One can't do any more than point out the similarities and the dangers?"

I've done all I can and just hope the cause (whatever that may be) is diagnosed and treated.
                        But if he has visited the doctor, then why did he go, apart from having his snoring/tiredness checked out? Before I was diagnosed, I had never heard of OSA, and the doctors never had me undergo any sleep studies. I would also say, that I was so tired, that I could not question anything, and just felt like sleeping all the time (not "real" sleeping you understand, but the horror that is OSA sleeping).

Comment

Working...
                        X