Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get used to increased pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get used to increased pressure?

A few years after getting my CPAP, I managed to get to a sleep doctor because I felt my daytime sleepiness had returned somewhat. I had a five-night APAP test and was a little alarmed that the few times I did wake and manage to see my number it was at 11 (I was diagnosed at 5). Not only that but I couldn't sleep, I would wake several times in the night with a very dry nose and mouth and, worst of all, some of my pre-CPAP symptoms had returned. Those being choking, bad startling in my sleep with palpitations, and jerking on falling asleep. When I finally saw the consultant, he confirmed what I feared - he advised me to increase my pressure to 10. I explained about how difficult I had found it so he showed me my charts where every night at about the same time I had apnoeas. He asked me if I had gained weight but in fact I have lost weight since my first test where 5 was recommended. The fact my reading doubled stunned me!

Resigned, I asked if I could increase gradually so I could get used to it and he agreed. Since early December I have managed to increase from 5 to 9. It was fine at first but when I went above 8, the waking throughout the night (sometimes to go to the bathroom, my *old* habit) but just generally restless and dry-mouthed are here again. The one night I tried 9.5 was unbearable. And I still feel I need naps during the day because I've slept so badly! I don't know what to do and would love some advice.

There's one major question too. The sleep apnoeas he pointed out to me were happening while I was using the APAP. How does that happen? If the machine was adjusting upwards at that point but he gave me my 10 diagnosis, then what good is the new setting going to be? Is it that it will take 10 for those apnoeas to go away and if so, what were the readings of 11 that I was observing and my partner also saw?

I feel just like a newbie again. Anything you can tell me about adjusting and getting through this to recover the good sleep I had been so happy to have found with my 5 reading. Thanks for any help!

It is perhaps a question of what you are used to. It is also perhaps the case that the higher the pressure the more likely it dries you out, so it is harder to get used to. Do you use a humidifier at present? If not you might try asking your clinic if you can have one to try as it may get you over that hurdle. If you have not used one before though have a look at the threads about rainout and heated hoses and such, no point in solving one problem by introducing others.

Comment

Hi - are you using an old machine? Does it have a humidifier? The higher pressure will be a little more irritating, it took me no time to get from 4 to 8 but ages to get from 8 to 11 (which is where I'm at now).

Tell your doctor or sleep nurse / tech about the problem, see if they will issue you with a new, auto machine, with a humidifier (I'm mega impressed with the comfort of my new acquisition but I appreciate that buying your own may not be an option) and maybe a heated hose but definitely a hose cover.

My AHI is under 1 according to the machine at 10 or 11, which is good. I have it set at 11 and I'll sleep all night and the readouts show it very rarely adjusts higher, set it any lower than 11 and it often climbs in the night to 12 or more.

Comment

I think possibly more important that humidification in helping you to get used to the pressure is the machine reducing the pressure when you exhale; it is amazing the difference that makes. Different machines call it different things:
        Phillips Respironics it is C-Flex
        DeVilbiss call it Smartflex
        Resmed call it EPR (exhalation Pressure Relief)

whilst at low pressures you probably wouldn't notice much, once you are heading into the higher pressures it is very helpful (my machines are on 16)

Comment

Hi everyone. I am doing a little better and have increased my pressure to 9.6 or is it 9.8. I will put it up to 10 soon. I wake up with the dryest mouth ever and think I will never swallow again but it clears. I have a REsmed EliteII and I do have a humidifier set to 4 and it uses a lot of water compared to what I had before. I also have my EPR set at 1 - is that OK? Thanks for all these answers. Those of you who have higher pressures must think me a wuss! I hope I can lose some weight and push my number down again! How do you know your AHI?

Comment

I had my EPR set at 3 (On RESmed) which I believe is the highest?
            If you are having problems adjusting to the higher pressure I would turn the EPR up to maximum.

Good luck
            Lorraine
            APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
            Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

Hi Janice,
              Some effective tips for you to treat your sleeping issue.
              Create a sleep schedule and go to bed early. Exercise daily and early morning as it will help you in sleep also. Avoid over sleep and taking naps in day timing. Don't eat shortly before going to bed. Avoid alcohol, smoking and other stimulants.

Comment

Did the app work well for you? Ask your doctor if you can have one permanently. If I were using a fixed cpap I would need 12 as a fixed pressure but with the app Ito ku rises to that a couple of times a week, and averages 8 or 9.

Comment

Originally posted by symmit View Post
                  Did the app work well for you? Ask your doctor if you can have one permanently. If I were using a fixed cpap I would need 12 as a fixed pressure but with the app Ito ku rises to that a couple of times a week, and averages 8 or 9.
                  I asked the doctor how often you get a new machine. In Canada it's every five years. He said in the UK it's every seven but even then they try to stretch it by annual maintenance. I have another appointment in April and will ask about an APAP. Nothing to lose but my machine is only 3 years old if I remember correctly.

Comment

I too had trouble going to 10 but I just put my EPR on and I never even noticed it after that, since then Ive gone back down to 8 and left my machine (APAP) open to find its own range during the night my usual readings are around 11cm

Comment

Working...
                    X