How can I stop snoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I stop snoring?

My wife can't sleep because of this and it is affecting her energy level during the day, also she gets really mad at me. I don't want to sleep in seperate rooms. Turning over doesn't help. I'm 6'4'', 270 pounds, with no major health problems, except for I have allergies and tend to have a snuffy nose.
    Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Hi Brad. Does it affect your energy levels at all? If so, you may well be suffering from OSA.

If you snore, AND have apnea's (moments of a few seconds where you stop breathing) you are at risk of not providing your brain with enough oxygen. That's on top us just waking up many times making you feel lethargic throghout the day, like your wife. Not enough oxygen could mean brain damage or ultimately death. Sounds scary huh?

There are many ways to stop snoring. Loosing wieght (around the nck) is one. Excess body tissue in that area contributes to the collapsing airways which causing the snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.

If your sinusses are blocked constantly you could look into nasal irrigation with something like a netipot, like on Oprah recently. There are many types of nasal sprays that can help you with that part of the problem.

Other options include anti-snoring strips (probably won't help if you carry too much weight and are clogged up), dental devices and surgery.

Above all, I would go check in with a doctor and ask about sleep apnea.
    If you can read this...
    ...at least you seem to be getting enough sleep to stay awake and alert!

Comment

I think yo are spot on, MoutheBreather.

If in doubt, sus it out. A sleep physician is the only one who can tell these things for sure.

Comment

Well said but i think i need to try that, this the reason why i join this forum to stop my snoring, hope it works.

Comment

Hi snoweping

Those posts are four years old and thus do not include many recent innovations.

Do you suffer any symptoms other than snoring? Lack of energy? Permanent tiredness? Grumpiness?

TF
          Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
          Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers Fan View Post
            Hi snoweping

Those posts are four years old and thus do not include many recent innovations.

Do you suffer any symptoms other than snoring? Lack of energy? Permanent tiredness? Grumpiness?

TF
            I don't really know it just that sometimes it just hit me and maybe this is lack of sleep and i do so much hard work at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by snoweping View Post
              I don't really know it just that sometimes it just hit me and maybe this is lack of sleep and i do so much hard work at the office.
              Speak to your doctor he will put you right

Comment

The good old selfish spouse syndrome. Boot the partner out, worked for me!

Comment

The following tips will hopefully teach you how to stop snoring.
                  Elevate your head by sleeping on a thicker pillow or multiple pillows will help reduce your snoring.

Don't drink alcoholic beverages, take sleeping pills, tranquilizers, or antihistamines right before going to sleep; they will cause your muscles to relax and limit your air passage way.

Avoid dairy products, which can cause mucus build-up right before you go to sleep.
                  there can be other reasons as well but i know just a few so try and it might help..!

Comment

Just what are "multiple pillows"? Do they look the same as several pillows or do we have to "pre-order" them at the multiple pillows shop?
                    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
                    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Hi Brad,
                      Sleep on your side as you are more likely to snore if you lye on your back. Do workout daily to lose excess body weight. Get your allergies treated, using mouth guard might help you in treating snoring. Avoid alcohol, smoking and tranquilizers and avoid eating shortly before going to bed.

Comment

Hi. If nothin helps try to save your wife and buy her earplugs, they will be useful

Comment

Buying earplugs for the wife can be a good idea, but the problem should be solved with himself.
                          As it was mentioned before, there are a lot of options to stop snoring. But also there are a lot of reasons why a person snores. First of all, people have to check their health, there could be a serious problem, and that's why snoring appears.
                          I've snored almost a year, and nothing helped me like special mattresses (mine was from Signature Sleep https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-...ring/#product3) and nose clips. So I've come to the Dr, and he said I have heart disease (that's why I've snored). So don't be lazy and check your health periodically. Earplugs are not the right solution

Comment

I asked Google for information about ventilators which seem to be needed for treatment of patients with the new virus going around In the process of doing that I learned a lot about CPAP machines hospital ventilators tracheotomies sleep apnea and a little about snoring . how though this may not be the most appropriate section to Write this in, the low cost easy to build equipment i seek for treatment of virus affected patients, Might be interesting also for treatment of snoring.
                            know that I know how and why do you switch you to used he does seem like all we would need is a small vacuum cleaner with the filter design to take the flow in the opposite direction since it will be used as a blower blown air could be passed through some water to humidify Eat and to provide additional filtration

Comment

A pressure transducer could be used to control the speed of the vacuum motor A pressure transducer could be used to control the speed of the vacuum motor I think that’s about all you need for a CPAP A bilevel ventilator might be a bit more complicated. I did not learn whether the timing of the bar levels is controlled by the patient’s own Somewhat variable rate of breathing or if it If it is set at some optimum rate by the doctor. If the doctor says it it should be pretty simple if the doctor says it it should be pretty simple but if the patient‘s Natural breathing rate is used to control It then some feedback is necessary and much more care must be taken for safety. considering the rather low flow rates that I needed it might be more appropriate to use something like a no-heat variable speed reliable hair dryer run by a very low frequency oscillator.
                              please excuse any funny phrase is a turn off but I have been using the voice recognition system on my iPhone to write this note my fingers are shaky enough that I never could do this by typing on my phone

Comment

Working...
                              X