flatulence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flatulence

hi this is a bit embarrassing but does anybody suffer from extreme flatulence through using the mask. i am concerned as it seems to be a problem for me and im assuming it is through using the cpap machine

When you swallow air, this can happen. It tends to go away after a while. (Couple of months) Some take meds for it, Gas-X is mentioned on the American forums. Others prop up the head-end of their bed so excess air comes out at the top, not the bottom.

Perhaps the pressure could come down on your machine or you may benefit form an Auto machine which doesn't sit at a fixed high pressure all the time. One other person had it disappear when using a humidifier but couldn't 100% be sure this was the key.

Playing with different mask types can also alleviate the issue.

Try a combination of this and report back if you can.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Comment

It may also be a symptom of GERD, which relates to a weakness to the valve at the top end of the stomach. This problem allows acid back up the digestive tract, and will also allow gas to pass the other way into the stomach. There is another valve between the stomach and small intesting which normally stops most air passing into the gut. The stomach normally acts as an air trap. Any gas that does find it's way in there, via eating, drinking etc. Moves to the top of the stomach building pressure until the upper valve opens causing you to burp!

But if air is introduced under pressure via CPAP, the pressure difference on either side of the upper valve changes, pushing it's way into the stomach and is forced on it's way into the gut, by-passing the normal gas trap. Mother nature then pushes it out the other end.

It's amazing what you learn when your stomach has been modified. My lower valve has been completely by-passed, it has now been replaced by a small opening into the small intesting. Which means that I now have a consent supply of gas to my bottom.
      Regards and Good Luck, Barry
      Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Comment

CPAP and flatulence

I have just started using an auto CPAP and, to my dismay, I wake up to a distended abdomen, discomfort and flatulence ( no belching, though) which remains through the day. Not nice at all !
        The CPAP pressure averages around 7 mm H2O

Comment

Hi sudarshan, welcome to the club.

7 isn't a high pressure so I wonder how often your Auto-CPAP rises up way beyond that. Does yours have a data card and have you had that read out recently?

Comment

Air Leakage?

hello all, just like to say thank you for your support. i was online yesterday and posted a reply/question and it is not on the forum. not 100% on IT.! I too had a big problem with "AIR" on friday nite. I awoke at 4.00am and had been fighting to get my mask off. I did this and got out of bed for a wee, and was in agony. my whole abdomen down to below my belly button was as hard as rock and very painful. I honestly thought I was dying. I sat on the bed, walked round, and eventually found some relief leaning over the bed. I didn't know wether to ring the doctor or an ambulance, more fright than pain I suppose. If I had have had an arrow I would have pierced myself for relief!!!!! Needless to say, I did not use my CPAP M series Auto C Flex until yesterday, monday, after I had spoken to my homecare provider. She assured me it would be ok and after 3 hours sleep, I have my confidence back. I was told the air can seep through your body. I have been battling with CPAP for 4 weeks now and don't feel like I am getting anywhere. HELP!

Comment

If no joy after 5 weeks, you may want to discuss the pressure strategy with your provider. Perhaps they will let you ease into things on a low pressure, gently upping it week by week.

Comment

Originally posted by James @ Intus View Post
                Hi sudarshan, welcome to the club.

7 isn't a high pressure so I wonder how often your Auto-CPAP rises up way beyond that. Does yours have a data card and have you had that read out recently?
                Thanks, James! Well, first a correction - my pressure reading earlier was 7 cm H2O and not 7 mm. I am 5 sessions old into my Remstar M Series APAP in A-flex mode, which has a data card. Just checked and saw the "90% Pressure" reading is an average of 8 cm H2O.

About the gas, maybe it is a coincidence and I will wait and see.

Does CPAP therapy banish daytime drowsiness straightaway or does it take a while for this to happen?

Cheers

Comment

Day time drowsiness

Hi Sudarshan, I have the same Remstar M c/w A-pap in A-flex mode, I'm on session 10 and the daytime drowsiness is now starting to lift. My 90% is running at 13.4cm H20, average 6.2hours per session.
                  So just to say not immediate for everyone but is getting there, just changed masks so hopefully will get even better. Getting better and better every day so chin up and keep going, also not had any side effects myself with this machine.
                  Andy
                  Respironics system one auto cpap
                  Fitlife Total Face mask or ZZZ mask

Comment

It differes per person but the real difference tends to kick in 2 weeks into the program. It takes a while for CPAP itself not to wake you up etc. so after the first week is when you really start getting that deep sleep phase you need so badly.

Comment

Originally posted by buildone View Post
                      Hi Sudarshan, I have the same Remstar M c/w A-pap in A-flex mode, I'm on session 10 and the daytime drowsiness is now starting to lift. My 90% is running at 13.4cm H20, average 6.2hours per session.
                      So just to say not immediate for everyone but is getting there, just changed masks so hopefully will get even better. Getting better and better every day so chin up and keep going, also not had any side effects myself with this machine.
                      Andy
                      Thanks, Andy. That's good news for you and very encouraging for me. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by James @ Intus View Post
                        It differes per person but the real difference tends to kick in 2 weeks into the program. It takes a while for CPAP itself not to wake you up etc. so after the first week is when you really start getting that deep sleep phase you need so badly.
                        Thanks again, James. I might add that I tend to cut down on my sleeping hours, which isn't a very smart thing to do, I realise.

BTW, I practiced 'pranayama' yoga for a month, about four days a week, and my snoring, which earlier kept my wife awake nights , actually reduced to such an extent that she doesn't hear me snore now (without CPAP assistance ). My inexpert guess is, that these breathing exercises tone up the tissues/muscles around the airway. Earlier, I could sense the soft tissues at the upper back of my throat relaxing and sagging at the onset of drowsiness, but that doesn't happen now.
                        That said, I confess I am not very regular with my pranayama routine. I'm sure it would help me further if I was.

Comment

Good to hear Sudarshan, and for the same reasons singing and didgeridoo playing are known to shape the throat tissue and potentially improve snoring.

Comment

Oh yes, the flatulence

same problem here. Wake up and fart continuously for about an hour. Stomach distended to the point I can't sit in the car until i have relieved the pressure a bit. As mentioned elsewhere I have gained the ability to fart the theme tune to the archers.

Not sure what can be done about this exactly, but i am only 2 and a bit weeks in to the treatment. maybe it will fade (no sign so far).

Comment

Let me know when you're appearing on Britain's Got Talent and I'll be sure to watch

Comment

Working...
                              X