Distilled water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This link should be helpfull

ResMed inspire and energise the world through the power of better health – discover how our connected solutions are improving the lives of millions of people.
    Resmed S9 Autoset
    Resmed H5i humidifier with Climateline
    Resmed Quatro Fx and F&P Forma masks

Comment

Hi silvercarper (are you a fisherman?),
      Sorry, I don't know where I got 'Remstar' from, I must be going senile. It's a Resmed S8 Escape 11, the humidifier (or rather cooler as I'm using it at the moment) clips stright on to the machine and is powered by it, all very compact.
      Am I a bit strange in not liking warm air to breathe, I'v always had to have windows open at night, even in the winter , and a hot muggy night is my dread, as I feel like I can't breathe. I've thought about a portable air con,but at 3KW/h it costs as much as a fire to run, and being early retired I can't justify the running costs.
      Regards,
      Tony

Comment

Just seen the link Silvercarper, thank you for that.
        Tony

Comment

As I pay for my prescriptions the cost of distilled water would work out quite expensive.
          It would probably work out cheaper to spend £29 for a new water chamber on my Remstar, if it got too fured up, than spending out on distilled water.
          Tony you have a PM
          Resmed S9 Autoset
          Resmed H5i humidifier with Climateline
          Resmed Quatro Fx and F&P Forma masks

Comment

Originally posted by silvercarper View Post
            As I pay for my prescriptions the cost of distilled water would work out quite expensive.
            It would probably work out cheaper to spend £29 for a new water chamber on my Remstar, if it got too fured up, than spending out on distilled water.
            Tony you have a PM
            Soaking the humidifier for a few hours in distilled vinegar dilluted with two parts water to one vinegar will remove ALL of the furring and sterilise it at the same time.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by tonybrentwood View Post
              Hi silvercarper (are you a fisherman?),
              Am I a bit strange in not liking warm air to breathe, I'v always had to have windows open at night, even in the winter , and a hot muggy night is my dread, as I feel like I can't breathe. I've thought about a portable air con,but at 3KW/h it costs as much as a fire to run, and being early retired I can't justify the running costs.
              Regards,
              Tony
              I am exactly the same, hate wam air, my daughter labels my room 'siberia' in winter as the window is always open and there is no heating. Glad the ice cube trick and not switching it on has worked for you

Comment

It's not just me being strange then, even the thought of breathing warm air worries me, I'm doing much better using the humidifier as a chiller.
                Regards,
                Tony.

Comment

Warm air seems good with a heated tube. Cold air has given me a sore throat....
                  DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
                  Sleepweaver

Comment

Originally posted by tonybrentwood View Post
                    I've thought about a portable air con,but at 3KW/h it costs as much as a fire to run, and being early retired I can't justify the running costs.
                    Regards,
                    Tony
                    Hi Tony

3 Kw is like a plane's take off power. Once at cruising altitude - or desired temperature in your bedroom - the power comes off. You'd spend most of the night at a small fraction of 3 Kw - always provided you close the windows, door (and shut off the central heating?).

Buy a big one - higher power - whack the temperature down, cruise at low power, greater efficiency and lower running costs.

Or an ice block and a fan.

TF
                    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
                    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Hi TF,
                      I've bought a portable air conditioner, with a big pipe that goes out of the window, and I love it. Nice freezy cold house, looking forward to the first night of freeziness!
                      Regards,
                      Tony

Comment

Mmm - I think that may be overkill. I have lived in the tropics and used air conditioning for many years but have not found it to be necessary in the UK except perhaps for one or two nights in a year - not worth the expense. The dry air of air conditioning can cause respiratory problems with some people....
                        DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
                        Sleepweaver

Comment

First night of cold air last night, I slept like a log all night, the machine was a little noisy but got used to it quickly. My wife said it was nice for her too as usually I kick the duvet off during the night as I'm always boiling hot, but last night I hardly moved and kept the duvet on. Hopefully I won't need to use it soon as the nights get cooler, but it's nice knowing I've got it for next year.
                          Regards,
                          Tony

Comment

Way to go!

Hi Tony

I'm so very pleased you has a good night of cool sleep. Really makes a difference, doesn't it.

Two things concern me (I feel a little reposible as you seem to have bought the machine after our brief discussion).

Running costs vs nights of freeziness. Economical running means just dropping the ambient room temperature into your comfort zone. The air con will reduce the humidity so you will feel comfortable at a higher room temperature than you may think, or compared to your garden where the humidity is still raised.

The big hose out of the window - if you chuck the hose out of an open window, a lot of your lovely cool air will go out with it and your machine will run at higher power consumption to maintain your set air temp. I reckon the cheapest way to fix this - as you use the machine at night and are fast asleep so cosmetics are of no concern - is to cut a plywood insert to fit into the open window space and cut the right sized hole for the hose into the plywood. Or perspex, cardboard, a double-glazed unit, etc.

I worked out that the sooner I bought my air con plant the more I would use it, not just next year but for the rest of my days. If you can get the dosh together, I count it as a good investment - especially thinking about us getting older and the number of old folk who die in a heat wave.

Makes global warming worse? Not as much as the youngsters having children!

TF

Comment

?Que?

Originally posted by dravidio View Post
                              Mmm - I think that may be overkill. I have lived in the tropics and used air conditioning for many years but have not found it to be necessary in the UK except perhaps for one or two nights in a year - not worth the expense. The dry air of air conditioning can cause respiratory problems with some people....
                              dravido

You sound like the National Union of Seamen objecting to ships being fitted with air conditioning - back in the 1950s!

TF

Comment

Hi TF,
                                Don't feel responsible, I was on the verge of getting one, you just nudged me over the edge for which I'm gratefull.
                                The machine came with a foam rubber square with a hole the pipe fits snugly into, to cut to the size of the window opening, and it works really well, with a good seal. As to the temperature, my reference to a 'freezy' room is a bit of poetic license, I have it set to 22 degrees, which is lovely and cool for me.
                                Maybe we should rename this forum 'The air conditioner users Forum? lol.
                                Regards,
                                Tony.

Comment

Working...
                                X