Sleep study of little value

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep study of little value

The problem I have is that my airway closes completely as soon as I lose consciousness and this causes me to immediately reawaken. It has got to the stage where I find it is almost impossible for me to fall asleep, and therefore when I had my sleep study, I was awake all night. The results showed no sleep apneas, which was hardly surprising as I had not been asleep.
    I managed to get a second sleep study, but once again, I was awake for the entire night so the data was of no real value.

I have had considerable difficulty persuading the doctors that I have sleep apnea as the data doesn't support my case.
    Anyway, I have eventually badgered them sufficiently to let me have a CPAP machine on a trial basis to see if it helps my problem.

I haven't seen this particular difficulty brought up by anyone before and wonder if I am alone. It almost seems that my airways block so completely and so quickly, that I can't actually fall asleep.

No you are not alone, I have seen others post with the problem.
    I don't think there is anyone on this forum, but if you look around various forums you will find posts like this buried deep somewhere.
    American forums will certainly have some posts in them.
    Sorry, but I can't remember where I read them, but there are a few.
    S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Ok thanks. I'll have trawl round and see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin 41052 View Post
        The problem I have is that my airway closes completely as soon as I lose consciousness and this causes me to immediately reawaken. It has got to the stage where I find it is almost impossible for me to fall asleep, and therefore when I had my sleep study, I was awake all night. The results showed no sleep apneas, which was hardly surprising as I had not been asleep.
        I managed to get a second sleep study, but once again, I was awake for the entire night so the data was of no real value.

I have had considerable difficulty persuading the doctors that I have sleep apnea as the data doesn't support my case.
        Anyway, I have eventually badgered them sufficiently to let me have a CPAP machine on a trial basis to see if it helps my problem.

I haven't seen this particular difficulty brought up by anyone before and wonder if I am alone. It almost seems that my airways block so completely and so quickly, that I can't actually fall asleep.
        Hi Martin , I had to record my self for my doctor to believe me! I downloaded an app on my phone, but you could do it with any recorder, I wasn't really sleeping and could feel my throat closing too! I just layed on my side or front set the recorder and hoped I was exhausted enough to sleep a little and hopefully get the apnea with tell tale "snort" on my phone! You might just be lucky enough one night to fall off without realising !
        Hope that helps
        Shelley

Comment

SleepClock os a good App, though there are others.
          Apps are for smart phones and Android Tablet computers but SleepClock has for almost all platforms,

Google it.

No, I have nothing to do with SleepClock, I just found it very handy.
          There are other alternatives.
          S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Working...
          X