Second test using APAP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second test using APAP

Hi everyone, new here so I do apologise if this is in the wrong place or if these questions have been answered somewhere else!

I had a monitor with oximeter to wear overnight last month and I had a letter from the clini today asking me to go back and see them. At this appointment I will be loaned an APAP machine and mask which again i will wear overnight and take back the following day.

I have no details of any results and I'm wondering if this is another test to determine whether I have sleep apnoea or whether as they're giving me an APAP machine it's to judge what my upper and lower levels should be set at. Like I said im new to the world of sleep apnoea so any info you can give me would be great. The clinic is an absolute nightmare to get through to and when I do get through nobody seems to be available to answer questions so I thought posting here would be quicker

Lisa

Hi Scarlet79

Welcome to the forum!

Your clinic sounds typical of so many NHS clinics so it's not only quicker to ask here, but the answerswill be more informative.

The oximeter confirmed for them that you suffer OSA and the APAP is to determinje what pressure you need - to titrate your own machine. You may get an APAP but I wouldn't hold your hopes out. More likely you will get a bog standard CPAP, same as most of us.

One nighgt with an APAP may give them good data but anyone can have a bad night - a week is the norm, if such a beast exists in the NHS.

Whatever machine you get, pay attention to what they tell you and ask questions. Search the forum for 'what should I ask at my first appointment' and the like. Very important is the mask: make absolutely sure that the mask you walk out with is comfortable to wear and is leak free at your pressure. They will most likely try to palm you off with their favourite mask or the one they have most of in teh cupboard - insist on one that suits you, as best you can tell in a short meeting. Read as much on the forum as you can before you go.

Don't expect miracles of your machine. Some people take to PAPing like ducks to water, a lot of others like cats.

Good luck!

TF
    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Yes it was most definitely quicker than trying to find out from them haha The letter says I'll be given it and to take it back a day or two later so it looks like they wont be using the norm. I will take your advice and read up on everything before my appointment. I'm a bit claustrophobic and am dreading having to wear a mask Am I right in thinking that as I breathe through my mouth my mask will be fairly large? Anyway, with the mask dread I will make sure I'll take the best one for me. Fingers crossed they have a choice lol

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Numeracy

Hi Scarlet79

As the letter says a day or two - and even if it didn't - I'd stretch that to a minumum of five days, which means it's the weekend and they are closed so you get to a week.

A week should give you a good average number.

If you don't feel that brave, make it at least four days - what I regard as a minimum to get a meaningful average. Ask them what is your 90% pressure average for the x days and to what pressure(s) they set your machine. These two (or three) figures are key to guiding you later on should you ask for help. Ask if they have set 'ramp' (ask what pressures and for how long) and ask if they have set exhalation relief (pressure drops so you can breathe out more easily. It has various names - EPR; C-Flex; A-Flex).

After that, it's all about your mask. Prepare for a mild panic attack when they fit it to your face and start the machine - I can't breathe! - but try to calm yourself so you can be assertive about the mask, comfort, leaks, fit. Try different sorts - full face for mouth breathers, nasal for nose breathers as a guide - but it is whatever suits you. The mask is key to PAP success. If you can, try a Resmed Quattro FX - this is a new mask, very small and petite for a full face mask. It's my absolute favourite of all time - but you may hate it, of course.

TF
        Last edited by Tigers Fan; 15th May 2011, 10:15.

Comment

Whichever mask it is, make sure you try it on at teh clinic so you are comfortable with how it fits, and try it with the machine running at full pressure too. There is nothing worse than getting home, finding the mask is the wrong size or you can't work out how to fit it, and then you can't control the leaks when the machine is on...it is usually the fault of the mask if that is the case, so try it where you can get a different one!

Comment

TF - The appointment is on a Friday so I will have a minimum of 3 nights with it as long as they dont insist on it being returned over the weekend. The moitor I wore last time had to be returned by lunchtime the following day so I hope they aren't ask strict with the apap.

It says the appointment is 15-20 mins long and they'll show me how to use it etc. I'm going to write down all the questions I want to ask to save time and that way even if they rush me I'll know what I need to and have tried on all the different masks they have.

Fred - Thanks for the advice, from what I've read on here so far the mask is uber important so I will be more stubborn than usual and make sure I try lots of them and how to fit it properly. Last thing I want is to be leaking at bedtime lol

Comment

How'd it go?

25chars.......

Comment

My appointment is a week tomorrow so I'll keep you posted Phudgey

Comment

Well I had my appointment today and it turns out I was stopping breathing around 28-29 times an hour and waking up around 200 times a night so they've classed my apnoea as moderate. I've been given a resmed quattro fx mask to go with the apap machine which they are using to gauge what pressure I'll need on the cpap they'll give me in around 3 weeks which will then be mine for as long as I need it. They're taking readings from the next 3 nights usage and as long as I wear it for at least 4 hours at a time with no major leakage they think the results will give them a good idea of what pressure to set it at.

Comment

Great result - way to go!

Comment

Working...
                    X