No announcement yet.

weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittant fasting (IF) diet. Has anyone tried this?

HI to all

I have to use a bipap because of my spinal curvature crushing my rib cage and limiting my lung function. BUT I also am overweight, which for a paraplegic who relies on her arms for everything including carrying her about, is not a good thing.

I am 4ft 6 at present (the spine continues to cause height loss) although the lung function guys tell me I should be 5ft 8in! This causes confusion when trying to calculate my BMI because some docs think that my brain doesn't understand I am not 5ft 8 and therefore, at 10st 6lbs, am not overweight. Some people think that that theory is rubbish and I am technically very obese!

As I am sure you can imagine, I am less than clear what my weight really should be! But as I've been around 8 st for most of my younger years (before I hit 35 and started having to use a motorised wheelchair outdoors) I would like to be around 8st 8lbs - 9st.

With this target in mind, and having watched a documentary and done some supplemental research, I decided to do the 5/2 fasting regime . Basically, you eat normally throughout 5 days of the week, and on two days you have a calorie restriction. On those days you eat one meal of 400-500 cals and drink lots of water for the rest of the 24 hr period. I like the idea of IF because over a week you eat around 3000 cals without having to deny yourself nice treats every single day. This does not mean you can stuff yourself silly five days a week, but it does mean you are not constantly considering every morsel that makes it past your lips!

It is not always easy, but I lost 9lbs in 6 weeks. Unfortunatley, a three week spell in hospital meant I put most of it back on.

So, I am just wondering if anyone on here also fasts intermittantly? If so, would they give me a little support to get back on track? It would be nice to swap recipe ideas and encourage one another.

Comment

I should also say that I do try to exercise a little but it is difficult because of the paraplegia and the wear and tear on my shoulder joints (hence the motorised wheelchair outdoors)

I mainly exerise using the Wii, 'dancing' with my upper body, 'jogging' with the controller in my hand rather than in my hip pocket, and playing table tennis.

Additionlly, my other half taped a keep fit for older people (blooming cheek!) program on one of the Sky channels called 'Chairobics.' It is actually very useful for those who cannot walk about much. If anyone wants info about the exercises I can try and explain a few in a private message...

Comment

Originally posted by Feather View Post
        Does anyone have any success stories of losing weight and curing their osa? I've been advised to lose weight but how much do i have to lose for it to have an effect? I'm currently 5' 3" and weigh 12 st 6lbs, anyone have any idea how much i should lose? Another thing that worries me is that I don't think i eat very much anyway so i don't want to starve myself, i suppose what i really need to do is more exercise, but would walking be enough? I have problems with my knees and the last time i joined a gym it crippled me for a few weeks so i gave up

I don't want to have to wear a mask every night for the rest of my life? Is there hope? I need motivation! Help!
        Hi Feather,

Any improvements on your situation since you posted?

Unfortunately being overweight can increase your symptoms of OSA - excess fat, particularly surrounding your neck/throat can cause obstructions to your airways and contribute to the severity of your sleep apnoea. Losing weight in general should help relieve your sleep apnoea symptoms, however although this lifestyle change is recommended to improve your overall health, there is no guarantee that it will treat your OSA symptoms overnight.

If you struggle to enjoy intense exercise such as the gym, just go for a 30 minute stroll daily and increase your walking time gradually. Low intensity exercise take slightly longer for you to lose weight, but they do ensure that you are toning up. Swimming is also a great low intensity exercise, which many people do for losing weight as well as enjoyment.

Sometimes, an important thing to note is not how much you are eating a day, but what you are eating in a day. For example a can of coke contains around 130 calories or more, which is roughly 7 per cent of your recommended calorie intake, so rather than worrying about the quantity of food you are consuming, consider the nutritional value of that food and if it is going to provide you with healthy fats or just fat.

If you need help and advice losing weight to help relieve some of your OSA symptoms, I would advise you to check out the nutrition and exercise advise sections on our Healthy Tips website that is linked below.

Let me know how you get on!
        Bringing you lots of inspiration, great health advice and life changing top tips. We've got all you need to ensure you are gaining a better health and improved quality of life.

Comment

Working...
        X