Other Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Possibilities

My sleep study showed fairly normal sleep until the wee small hours of the morning, so I slept pretty normally between about 11pm and 3am and then I would start to get restless and showed a few hypopneas (but no apneas) from then on.

This tied up nicely with my usual experience when I would go to bed around 10pm, fall asleep quite easily, and then wake up sometime between 2am and 4am with my nose feeling constricted at the top, particularly the left nostril, occasionally with a snort that emanated from the nose. This happened typically 5 days in 7, sometimes more sometimes less.

However, one thing that I have noticed (excepting the first night) is that my sleep pattern has so far been exactly the same as before going onto CPAP. Two nights ago I had a good night's sleep, but all other nights I have woken with exactly the same feeling in my nose.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Okay, I've only been on the CPAP machine for a week so I probably need to give it a while longer and talk it over with the doc on my follow-up appointment, but right now I think the focus should be on what's happening up my hooter (I had septoplasty this time last year for a deviated septum, which helped for about a month, before things returned pretty much to what they had been before).

Just thinking aloud, really

Nasal irrigation..

...before you go to bed might help. Might be your sinus getting clogged.
    Join the happy band of Sinupulse owners.
    ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier and ClimateLine
    ResMed Mirage Liberty and Quattro Air masks
    Sinupulse

Comment

Last year at ENT I was told that my nasal passages are a bit inflamed and I also had a scan to check my sinuses and they are clear. The thing is that I am clear when I go to bed, in fact I quite like the feeling of the air from the mask, but when the congestion comes the mask seems to make it worse!

I shall try upping the humidifier a little to see if that helps.

I'm mildly asthmatic too, so I am endeavouring to be a bit more consistant with my preventer inhaler.

However, I'm increasingly feeling that I need to go back to ENT.

At least I'm getting about five hours of decent sleep a night

20 days until my follow up...

Comment

The nice thing about CPAP is it's adjustable, and it's reversible - if it's not working you can try something else and have lost nothing.

If it's nasal congestion during the night, and then that's causing you to mouth breathe then a good full face mask may a help. And if you only need the pressure later in the night then an auto-cpap could be another help!

Comment

You could also consider the magic of Pur-Sleep oils or Olbas Oil. A few drops at the machine intake will help keep your clear.

Max humidifier setting will definately help - that is, max according to your room temp and heated hose, etc, or lack of - you won't want rain-out, after all.

TF
          Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
          Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Working...
          X