Not feeling any better

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not feeling any better

Hi all, so I've been on cpap for over a year now. Average of 8 hours per night and mostly ahi readings of under 1. Problem is I am feeling no better whatsoever. I'm not a very strong willed person and sticking to this treatment has been the hardest thing I've done in my life, to say it's been a struggle is an understatement. I stuck at this thinking it could change my life,improve my health,sleep and general well being but if I'm honest i am feeling so low and depressed. Maybe a month or so into my treatment I had an amazing moment. I was sitting on the sofa one day and I suddenly realised I was a different man, I didn't feel lethargic, tired, depressed. I spent the next 2 weeks solid getting in from work and redecorating half the house,something I had never had the energy to do or even felt like doing. My wife had noticed I was changing but said she didn't want to say anything incase I just chased it down. Then one day I was back to the zombie self. I have been chasing this feeling ever since but everything about cpap is just getting harder and harder. From the nightly emptying of water from the tube to the unbearable dry mouth. The lack of sleep waking up with.my tongue stuck to my teeth to reach for the dry mouth spray or water, only for that to last an hour or two. I'm not sure I can do this anymore and yes before anyone says about getting an appointment to try sort things I have tried calling myself and through my doc but it's been a long process and unlikely to throw my machine at them at the end of July when I finally managed to get an appointment. Sorry for ranting but seriously this is hard going and any advice would be greatly appreciated,Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry that you are having a hard time at the moment. Can you advise what CPAP equipment you are using so we can see how we can help you with the equipment you are using.

If you find yourself waking up with a dry mouth, nose or throat then a humidifier should instantly solve that problem. But adding warmth and moisture to the air provided by your CPAP machine, they help keep your mouth moisturised throughout the night. Similarly, if you find the air from your CPAP to be cold and uncomfortable, a humidifier should make your therapy more comfortable.

Here is a link to our humidifier section if you would like to know more - https://www.cpap.co.uk/shop/cpap-humidifiers.html

Also if you have a alot of water in your tube (ie condensation), they we would recommend using a heated tube with your CPAP machine - https://www.cpap.co.uk/shop/cpap-mac...sk-tubing.html

Do you want to have a look at the above products and let me know what equipment you are using. You can reply back to this post, or you can email me at contact@intushealthcare.

Kelly

Comment

Hi Kelly and thanks for the reply. I am using the resmed s9. The trouble is that I do use a humidifier and have that set to level 5 ( one below the highest setting) and have issues with condensation almost every night. I have also tried moving the machine lower, raisning the tube above my headboard although this reduces my movements in bed and pulls the mask off. I am at the stage of giving up as any mods such as a heated tube I have been told don't work with my machine and also this would have to be something my sleep clinic will try and sort. Trouble with that is getting an appointment with them is like trying to find unicorn poo so I am basically stuck. I have tried everything I can think of and read all I can on the internet but I don't see a way to resolve anything. Regards,Andy.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thank you for getting back to me.

With regards to the ResMed S9 Humidifier settings, I would suggest viewing this video to see if that helps you understand the settings, as it looks like you should adjust your humidifier setting from level 5 to 3, to reduce the amount of condensation you are experiencing presently - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aTRZXfiA7k
        Do you want to try this and see if this helps reduce the condensation?

With regards to a heated tube option, have a look at this video, which will explain the climate control settings on your machine with a heated tube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tcMsSGWiUE
        ResMed sell the Climate line tube for the ResMed S9, so I would recommend getting the heated tube if changing the humidifier settings have not improved the condensation you are experiencing. here is the link to the Climate line Tube - https://www.resmed.com/uk/en/consume...imateLine.html

Please have a look at the links that I have sent you, and let me know how you get on.

Kelly

Comment

Hi Kelly and again thanks for the reply. Omg! how have I missed that, people have told me online that only the air sense 10 works with the heated tube. Maybe they were just trying to sell me that model. Anyway with regards to the humidity settings I have tried all levels as the dry mouth problem is a major issue. If I'm honest level 6 probably wouldn't eliminate the problem entirely but the rain out was so bad I had to go down to level 5. I will look into the heated tube and hopefully that could stop the rain out issues. Not sure it will help with the dry mouth but it would be maybe 3 gargling wakes ups less per night so that's something. Other than that I'm still not sure how or if I can sort the problem of just not feeling any better,waking up feeling refreshed would be like winning the lottery. Guess I just have to wait for my next appointment. Thanks for the help and have a great day,Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your message.

With the humidifier setting (with a standard tube) you may have to decided whether you want less condensation or a dry mouth, and set the settings accordingly. However the humidifier should resolve any dry mouth issues.

For the heated tube, I just googled ResMed S9 heated tube as this is a product that we do not sell, and the link I gave you was what showed up in my search. I would suggest trying it, because this would definatley reduce the condensation in your tube, which you are experiencing.

Here is ResMeds contact details should you wish to call them directly, as they may be able to help you more with the machine settings - https://osahub.resmed.com/about/contact/

Please let me know how you get on.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
            X