Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just maybe .....

..... your pillows are too high.

I cured my backache overnight by reducing to one medium firm pillow.

TF
    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

pains (wind in chest and back) - help

hi,
      I have problems with rock hard stomach full of wind I also have horrible chest pains some mornings and wind build up in my back right up to between the shoulder blades. Very painful and quite scarey. If I did not know better then sometimes I would swear I was having a Heart attack ...have been checked out and I am not and have not - but it is that painful
      My pressure is capped at 16 on a variable machine (remstar) I have not found a way around this and have had cpap for 6 months now. Tried loads of different masks (none are leak free) and have to make them very tight. Not sure if this makes the pressure higher than it says it is? Does anyone have any advice?
      The worrying thing is that even at 16 I am still suffering lots of apneas and so ideally pressure should be higher...before they capped it it was going to 20 and staying there all night even though machine is variable.
      Help!!

Just to clarify, I dont think this is muscular, because it eases off after about half an hour after I wake up and start breathing normally without the mask? - dunno if any of you guys have had pluresy, but that is what the back pain feels like - makes ne have to take small breaths or it hurts, but I'm sure it is gas. Consultant at hospital checked heart/lungs ecg and everything this week and nothing wrong. Just need to stop the pains because they are horrible
      Last edited by davekeep; 26th October 2009, 21:31.

Comment

A data report of your Auto machine could tell whether that 16 pressure is too low to solve the apnoea and/or too high for comfort.

If you really need mega pressures, they sometimes put you on a BiPAP so breathing becomes more comfrtable.

Comment

pains etc

thanks James.
          I go to Bristol Sleep Centre and am trying to get sorted.
          The pains wear off after about half an hour in the mornings, but it is really uncomfortable.
          I read somewhere about "intellipap" machines? - are these the respironics R series that recalibrate on each breath? would it be possible I may need one of those? - my remstar machine has A flex system but they disabled it because they reckon that no-one gets on with it. Bipap are the ones that have reduced pressures on exhale are they not? - presumably a flex and r series are a stage further?
          They said that because my masks are still leaking that they cannot really trust the data off the machines absolutely, but when they had me on up to max pressure it was climbing to 19.5 after an hour or so, then staying there for the rest of the night...the pain in my stomach was phenominal, and I was literlally full of gas. Now its capped at 16 to try to avoid that.
          I have asked them if I should be spending a night in their lab, but they are reluctant saying that normally they only do that initially to diagnose your levels of apneas etc...but because they know mine are 95 per hour already there is no point having a lab session. What I am concerned about is that maybe I am having central apneas, and so the cpap is just blowing air down my throat and then I dont bother to breathe out frequently enough so end up swallowing the air, and that causes my pains? - this morning my chest was quite painful, and I had what felt like wind pain between my shoulder blades that stopped me from being able to breathe deeply because it hurt.
          I a, quite desperate really. I am revisiting the cionsultant on 11th Nov...are there any pertanent questions I should be asking or suggestions I should be insisting upon? - They do seem really busy and so get a bit itchy if you want to spend time with them etc, so it is a little difficult.

Comment

IntelliPAP is the US brand name for what's called SleepCube here in Europe. Exact same, different name. All Auto-CPAP machines adjust throughout the night, SleepCube AutoAdjust, REMstar Auto, Sandman Auto, SleepStyle 254 Auto etc.

I'm pretty sure the data card of the REMstar Auto can tell the difference between obstructive and central events. If a significant number are central, you can ask them for an in-home respiratory study, to really sort those two types of events. You can also ask about BiPAP. As Bi-Level PAP uses a reduced pressure on exhalation (much more reduced than C-Flex or A-Flex, EPR etc.) it may solve your wind/bloating issue.

If the A-Flex is switched off, you may want to have it back on. It's true it's a bit like Marmite, not everybody likes it. But it's worth a try. But CPAP at high pressures will always be tough going. You really need an excellent mask fit for it to work out at pressures over 15.

Comment

I am suffering the same symptoms. I only started using a CPAP about a month ago and thought i was suffering with backache through changing my sleeping position but have realised i am 'gassing up', and my pressure is only set to 10!.

I went back to Liverpool Resp unit a couple of days ago and they have set my resm8 with the EPR? on to see if this helps but this is the second night and I am at the pc at 2 in the morning having a cup of tea to try and relax and get my breathing back to normal.
              In saying that the broken sleep (I went to sleep at 9 and slept til 1.30, and will probably have another 3 hours sleep before getting up) is still loads and loads better than my pre cpap sleep so maybe this is what I will have to adapt to.
              They were loathe to reduce my pressure so I guess I carry on like this.
              Anyone want their baby feeding????????

Paul - life with CPAP is better than no life!

Comment

Originally posted by paulbooth6 View Post
                Backache

Hi

What a great site and forum this is. What did we do before the internet??.

I am a very new user, 1 week, of a nasal mask and humidifier (pressure set at 10) and have experienced the following.

I can fall asleep easily with the 'kit' on.

I need a lot less sleep now (on the oximeter my event score was pretty high at 60) so I guess I am getting better quality sleep so need less of it.

But

It is 02.30am in the morning and each night i am suffering terribly with backache!!.

I asked my consultant last week if it was anything to do with changing the depth of your breathing but she looked at me a bit daft, accepting i may have back spasms (which they are) but putting it down to a different sleeping position.
                I still think there may be merit in the change of breating 'depth' and the way it affects your back muscles.

Also note

My mattress is of a good quality and is less than 2 years old.

I am off to my place in spain in a couple of days so I thought i would wait and see how my back fares on the bed there.

If I still have the problem I understand the things to try are;

Mattress topper (min 2" depth)

Memory foam pillows (I am a side sleeper and find I go to sleep with my hand on the pillow with my head resting on it to take the pressure off the mask).

I will post how I get on.

This forum has really enlightened me on another couple of issues.

I thought my gas was due to medication but It has now become clear it is the CPAP even though my wind lasts all day and into the evening. I noted the posting re the stomach valves and I am on medication for 'rising acid' so I guess it doesnt help the gas issue.

I have a sore point on my face next to my nose, irritated by the mask so have to use a plaster. I will review my 'strap pressure' and see if I can slacken it off.

Finally, my day time drowsiness symtoms pre CPAP are a lot less this time round (I had OSA in 2002 but lost a couple of stone and my drowsiness went). I have put this down to the medication I am on so I dont know if anyone else has experienced this;

I am on venlafaxine for depression and Metformin for type 2 diabetes both of which I suspect have an 'affect' on your bodies hormones and I suspect act as a bit of an 'enhancer' (you know what i mean) to the bodies chemical balance.

Just thought I would mention it.

Cheers
                Sad to know that in the result you had breathing problems. And I'm glad you're OK now.
                Sleeping position may affect your breathing too. When you sleep on your back - and get all those hypopneas (wannabe apneas) you're inviting loads more events than you'd otherwise have, and we go out of our way to sleep on our sides even to the point of wearing backpks, etc. for a time to transition.

Comment

Backache

Hi

I am a very new user, 1 week, of a nasal mask and humidifier (pressure set at 10) and have experienced the following.

I need a lot less sleep now (on the oximeter my event score was pretty high at 60) so I guess I am getting better quality sleep so need less of it.

But

It is 02.30am in the morning and each night i am suffering terribly with backache!!.

I asked my consultant last week if it was anything to do with changing the depth of your breathing but she looked at me a bit daft, accepting i may have back spasms (which they are) but putting it down to a different sleeping position.
                  I still think there may be merit in the change of breating 'depth' and the way it affects your back muscles.

Also note

I am off to my place in spain in a couple of days so I thought i would wait and see how my back fares on the bed there.

Memory foam pillows (I am a side sleeper and find I go to sleep with my hand on the pillow with my head resting on it to take the pressure off the mask).

I thought my gas was due to medication but It has now become clear it is the CPAP even though my wind lasts all day and into the evening. I noted the posting re the stomach valves and I am on medication for 'rising acid' so I guess it doesnt help the gas issue.

I have a sore point on my face next to my nose, irritated by the mask so have to use a plaster. I will review my 'strap pressure' and see if I can slacken it off.

Finally, my day time drowsiness symtoms pre CPAP are a lot less this time round (I had OSA in 2002 but lost a couple of stone and my drowsiness went). I have put this down to the medication I am on so I dont know if anyone else has experienced this;

I am on venlafaxine for depression and Metformin for type 2 diabetes both of which I suspect have an 'affect' on your bodies hormones and I suspect act as a bit of an 'enhancer' (you know what i mean) to the bodies chemical balance.

Cheers
                  Sad to hear that you're facing the same symptoms.
                  I can't imagine why CPAP pressure would have anything to do with back pain, nor have I ever heard of it happening. However, what could be happening is that the increase of pressure has stabilised your breathing better which has lead to your sleep being less disturbed. This could mean that you are moving a lot less in your sleep which is thus causing the back pain.

Comment

Backache

Hi

But

Also note

Cheers
                    I can't imagine why CPAP pressure would have anything to do with back pain, nor have I ever heard of it happening. However, what could be happening is that the increase of pressure has stabilised your breathing better which has lead to your sleep being less disturbed. This could mean that you are moving a lot less in your sleep which is thus causing the back pain.

Comment

Backache

Hi

But

Also note

Cheers
                      Sad to know that you're facing the same symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                      X