If at first you don't succeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If at first you don't succeed

I started CPAP therapy in July 2009. So it is coming up to nearly three years now - and I would say that up to about 6 weeks ago I could count the number of times I had slept through with a mask on on my fingers. In that time I have spent hundreds of pounds on different masks and gone to bed nearly every night with a mask on - to rip it off 40 minutes or so later when I can't get to sleep with the thing on.

I have been at the point of just giving up - but about six weeks ago I started to use my Sleepweaver mask again - this has coincided with losing weight and cutting down alcohol markedly (at least 4 nights a week without - and only one or two drinks at weekend) I thought I was a mouth breather but I just told myself to keep my mouth shut - and suddenly, I don't know why or how, I began to sleep through every night for 7 or more hours! Checking my machine - my AHI count averages less than 2 ph and I don't breathe through my mouth at all. Do I feel wonderfully energised? Er no. But I do feel rested and as if I have had a good night's sleep.

So - why, after all this time, and bad experiences, it has begun to work for me I don't know. But it's worth keeping trying...
    DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
    Sleepweaver

Hi,
    Glad to hear that things are working out for you.
    I started off really well but it has gone backwards since losing weight but I will not give up!

Well done
    Lorraine
    APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
    Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

Erm, do you think "cutting down alcohol markedly" might just have something to do with it? Alcohol, muscle relaxer - apnoea, relaxed muscle. I'm fairly sure there is a connection there somewhere, if only I could put my finger on it ......
      Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
      Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Well done for keeping at it! I also had problems for years, though didn't do the ripping off thing after the first couple of weeks. Started to get by but always had mask probs, like most of us. Have to admit I now think things only really came together when I got everything just so with kit and diet. I gave up booze and altered my diet to manage diabetes, have now lost nigh 6 stone, but the APAP-Sleepweaver combo is the thing that has really provided the glue as I average 6.5-7.5 hours AHI under 1 and now have my sugar levels average below 5.9.
        Talk of lifestyle was something I didn't really buy into as mine wasn't that bad so I thought. Now I feel my new lifestyle choices are crucial to me.

Comment

Well done

Looking forward to the day when I can say the same!
          ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier and ClimateLine
          ResMed Mirage Liberty and Quattro Air masks
          Sinupulse

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. Yes - I think the cutting down of alcohol may have played a part - but it is not the whole story. It's also a mental thing - where I have approached the therapy more positively and felt the mask was trying to help not hinder me sleeping. Sleepweaver is another big thing - if you can do the nose breathing.
            DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
            Sleepweaver

Comment

Positive attitude fixes most things CPAP - from leaking masks to aching chests. Not much good against rain-out, unfortunately.
              Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
              Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

rain out

Not happened once since I got the S9 with climateline.
                Was a constant irritation before.
                Sinupulse

Comment

What do you put it down to then Grumpy? Is it the settings?

Comment

climateline

This is a heated hose that integrates fully with the machine. It has a temperature sensor at the mask end so presumably heats the hose optimally.
                    Sinupulse

Comment

Just looked at the blurb, they do indeed claim "eliminate rainout"! Blimey!

Looks like it only works with a Resmed machine though (is that right?)...

Comment

heated hose

The climateline only works with the Resmed S9 series, it connects to contacts on the machine. However, Intus sell a free-standing heated hose that works with any machine; only downside is you need an additional mains socket to plug the transformer into.
                        Sinupulse

Comment

Thanks Grumpy, I looked at the Intus hose but it didn't appeal as I have been getting away with a hose cover. Trouble with that is the taking on and off every day to wash the hose (which i have done since reading about the nasties lurking). I have a spare hose but when that needs replacing I'll go electric.

Comment

Working...
                          X