A Lesson Learnt......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lesson Learnt......

Last Saturday night, I went to bed attached to my mask and went off to sleep no problem. At 3am, my daughter telephoned me to ask if I could collect her from the hospital as she had gone with a friend who had had an accident. So, with much grumbling and muttering I got out of bed and went and collected her.
    I got back to bed at about 6am, and thought that I wouldn't bother with my CPAP machine, I would just go to sleep.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

When I finally woke up, I felt terrible. I had a really bad headache and ached all over, and felt as though I hadn't slept for weeks, and had run a marathon!

It has made me realise that even though I only manage to get about 4 hours a night with the mask, that 4 hours is 'proper' sleep. I've only been using the machine for about 3 weeks, yet already there is a vast improvement.

So, the lesson that I have learnt is....... NEVER EVER GO TO SLEEP WITHOUT MY MASK AND MACHINE!

Not a fun lesson to learn, but it does mean you appreciate what the machine is doing for you!

Comment

Lesson Two, Lotty, is never to travel without taking ALL your CPAP kit.

I arrived at my hotel and had everything set up, just to connect the machine to my mask, but - I'd forgotten the hose! Fortunatley it was a one night stop-over.I was on the road before 6am after an horrendous night of tossing and turning.

TF
      Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
      Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Been there, done that, got the packing paranoia...

Comment

And when you get to your hotel-room and unpack and find the bedside light cable goes straight into the wall and the power-socket is nowhere near the bed.

Reception don't have a trailing socket you could use and the vent. lead will just about reach the end of the bed, so nothing for it but to sleep with my head at the foot of the bed.

Ah, wedded bliss, TF, like a pair of kippers me and the wife.

Richard

Comment

Not sure this is the right thread but as reading it reminded me here goes: when travelling store the machine in a freezer bag, the mask in another and use two plastic wine corks to block the hose. This is a thunder bug exclusion kit [they shorted out my machine...]!

Comment

And a thunder bug is .........?

Comment

Bugs

I don't have bugs at home--but I also block hoses etc to be on the safe side. One bug--can be one too many. Don't know what a Thunder Bug is either? xx Berneta

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers Fan View Post
                  And a thunder bug is .........?
                  Thrips, thunderflies, corn flies, storm flies, thunder blights, thunder lice. They appear in thundery weather and camp in photo frames and CPAP equipment I found out...

Comment

Where oh! where were you travelling? Google knows all about them but I'd not heard of them before.

It seems to confirm that cities are safer than the countryside or back gardens!

Comment

I found this..........

for those wondering what Thunderbugs were............ as I was

http://www.ehow.com/about_5459578_li...le-thrips.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tigers Fan View Post
                        Where oh! where were you travelling? Google knows all about them but I'd not heard of them before.

It seems to confirm that cities are safer than the countryside or back gardens!
                        You probably know them by some other name as they are pretty common anywhere where crops are grown. Even with windows shut they get into property through trickle vents in the windows and doors. Basically harmless but you really don't want them in the machine, mask or the hose where it would be difficult to flush them out. As a vegetarian I din't want to be inhaling them (joke).

Comment

New Forest, Southampton, Australia, Kuwait and all the seas and oceans seem to have been devoid of the beasts whilst I was there! Am - in Southampton.

So another CPAP rule seems to be not to sleep in wheat or corn fields during thunderstorms. Not too onerous!

Wasn't the origin of a 'computer bug' similar to what happened to your CPAP? Maybe it was a thrip, too!

TF

Comment

Working...
                          X