Cpap newbie help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpap newbie help

Hi all get ready for quite a long boring story but I've been wanting help/info for quite a while now and the hospital just really don't care.

So I've always had problems with my nose basically it doesnt work had 3 ops and still doesnt draw enough air in to breath comfortably so I breath through my mouth this coupled with being a very large man equals a trip to be tested for sleep apnea which according to the doctor I had one of the worse cases he'd seen in his career so fast forward a few days and I get a cpap machine and full face mask after a few days I couldn't get it to not blow directly into my eye ball so back to hospital who give me a larger mask after I few weeks of messing around with tightness etc I have 2 options it blows into my eye as soon as I move or I have it that tight it leaves horrible red blotches on my cheek and nose and I get stared at like I'm some kind of monster daily. So I go back to the hospital and they basically say its either the red blotches or I return the machine and do without (thank you hospital) so I come home try it for a few days get awful anxiety from the red blotches put it in the wardrobe and that's where it's stayed for 2 years. Now recently I've been waking up choking almost every night I've also been sleeping more and more and am still tired I can sleep for 10+ hours a night and still drop off if I sit in front of tv for too long I even dropped off at work the other day so now I'm thinking maybe I need to give the cpap another chance.

So after that long story (sorry about that) can anyone give me advice on how to get alone with it, what masks can you recommend? Remember it needs to be mouth mask or full face as my nose doesnt work, thanks in advanced.

Good Morning

Thank you for your post.

Can I kindly ask which machine and mask do you have?

Did the hospital measure your face to check that you have the right size mask for your face? A standard full face mask cushion should sit on the bridge of your nose, where if you wore glasses these would sit. The bottom part of the cushion should sit in the dip in between your lower lip and chin.

Have you watched a fitting video on youtube for your mask to ensure you are putting it on and adjusting it correctly? The aim is not to pull it so tight that it leaves marks on your face or causes damage to your face.

Which part of your mask did the air leak from and when? ie at the start of CPAP therapy or in the middle of the night?

It does take some time to get using to sleeping with the CPAP equipment. CPAP therapy is the gold standard treatment for sleep apnoea so let me try and help you with the equipment you have to get a good night sleep and treat your sleep apnoea.

Kelly

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply so the machine is resmed airsense 10 elite and the mask is airfit f20, they didn't measure my face and actually sent me home with a nose mask (I didn't see it until I got home) when I phoned them they just sent me a medium out by post but this constantly leaked pretty bad so they sent me a large. I've watched a video and adjusted it as it says but that's when it leaks, it mainly leaks around the top so it goes up into my eyes and it's constant as soon as I put it in unless I tighten it really tight

Comment

Good Morning,

Thank you for your post.

Can I ask if the F20 mask came with a sizing guide for your to check which size is best for your face? If not, then please click on the following link which takes you to the F20 mask page, scroll half way down the product page and click on the downloads tab. Download the sizing guide and print out at 100%. Follow the instructions to measure your face to see what size is best for you.

Try the mask size which is the best size fit for you for a few nights to see how you get on. If this does not reduce your mask leaks then you may want to look at an alternative mask - https://www.intushealthcare.com/prod...ce-cpap-masks/

Kelly

Comment

Working...
        X