Hello everyone! I'm new to cpap machine 2 weeks and 4 days exactly. i'm claustraophobic so dr gave me amara full face mask the new one out.. Great i thought but i'ts horrible,s i have sleep paralysis and night terrors and i had a night terror episode a couple of nights ago and woke up hyperventilating and ripped the damn thing off went 3 nights without it, i try every night but can only manage about 2 to 2 1/2 hours most nights. Most was nearly 5 hours and that's it. So i rang the dr up and asked for a humidifier because i have nasal issues and my nose gets sore and bleed in the morning so have to go and pick that up tomorrow. i also asked her last week could i try a different mask, a nasal or perferably under nose cushion mask i 'v seen them and they look good, i think that could work for me as i have fibromyalgia and any pressure on my head gives me headaches and the pressure on my face causes me to have sinus pain which causes me to have a pressure headache on my forehead. it's horrible to the point i don't want to bother with the damn thing, anyway my dr put me on hold and asked her boss could i try a different one and the answer was NO! have to keep trying at least 2-3 months My question is should i perhaps buy the undernose cushion myself and wear a chin strap as i am both a mouth/ and nose breather, plus because of night terrors i move around alot and jump in the bed i think the undernose mask as there would be less straps on my head to cause pressure and less on my face to cause me anxiousnees, discomfort, and pain, but if i go with what the dr suggests and wait a few months it will make me hate the thing and i won't want to use it at all. that's my main worry it would be nice just to hear someone thoughts on my little issue thank you in advance Chelle.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Face Masks Night Terrors and Headaches Oh My!
Collapse
X
-
Every now and then, I also end up hyperventilating. i don’t have night terrors or anything, but i do have anxiety problems and sometimes struggle with over breathing.
Personally, I’ve found CPAP and over breathing combined causes me to hyperventilate when trying to get to sleep. I, however, use nasal pillow mask. If I hyperventilate, it’s super easy for me to stop breathing through my nose and start breathing through my mouth until I calm down a little bit. All without taking off my mask. Once I’m breathing normally again, I switch back to breathing through the the nasal pillow mask.
I did however find A-flex/C-flex torture. This is exhalation relief that some like. For me, the continuing change in pressure as I inhale and exhale made it impossible for me to adjust to. When this feature was turned off, it’s a lot more comfortable for me. Everyone is different, though.
- Reno
-
Hi Chelle,
Thank you for your post.
There is always an adjustment period when you start CPA therapy or change any of your CPAP equipment. I would suggest disconnecting your mask from your tube and just wearing the mask for 30 minutes a day whilst you watch TV or relax to get use to the mask, and then increase the time. You can then try putting on the mask a little while before you go to sleep to get use to the mask. The masks do have a anti-asphyxia valve. If the therapy device stops delivering air for any reason (eg, in a power failure), the AAV allows you to breathe in fresh air from the room rather than re-breathe exhaled air built up in your mask. So you will still be able to breathe with the mask on, with or without the machine attached and/or on.
Having the right mask for you is key, as it wearing the mask every night. You have said that you breathe through your nose and your mouth so would need a full face mask.
The Amara gel mask that you have is a standard full face mask that covers your nose and mouth like an oxygen mask.
Have you considered trying a hybrid mask? These are full face masks but sit under the nose and covers your mouth.
1. Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask - https://www.cpap.co.uk/philips-respi...3-1090604.html
2. DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask - FitPack - https://www.cpap.co.uk/philips-dream...k-1133400.html
3. AirFit F30 Full Face CPAP Mask - https://www.cpap.co.uk/resmed-airfit...114-64115.html
Our 2 keys points when looking for a mask is
1. Size - please ensure you have the correct size mask for your face. Each mask has a mask specific sizing guide, which can be found on the downloads tab half way down each of our mask product pages, You can download the sizing guide and follow the instructions to measure your face to see which size you need. The better the fit, the better the CPAP therapy.
2. Mask Fit Insurance - We offer this on the majority of our mask. The insurance allows you to try a mask at home for 28 days. If the mask is unsuitable for any reason, then you can return the mask for a refund of the mask price.
Do you want to have a look at the above masks, and let me know if you have any questions?
Alternatively you can call us customer care team on 0800 024 8050 if you would like us to go through the different mask options with you.
Kelly
Comment
-
Hi Reno,
Thanks for your message, so am i understanding that you have 2 masks a full face and a nose pillow? Becuse i think i may benefit from having 2 different types as well, as i'm prone to having blocked nose and as well as my other issues i already mentioned so i could use full face mask when i'm good or when i have a blocked nose and a nose pillow when my nerves are playing up and my head is feeling sensitive to pressure and would most likely give me a full blown headache or worse migraine. okay i hope i'm not confusing you i talk and write like i feel in my head, chaotic most of the time. Thanks so much i hope we talk again. Michelle
Comment
-
Hi Kelly,
Thanks for you input, i have the first mask the amara, but i'm gonna try sitting with it on in the day time like you suggested i will try my best, but because of all the straps this mask has round my head i mean it causes me pressure then it can turn into a headache my dr suggested the protective padding you can buy i got some and it doesn't help if i'm having a hot flush or i'm actually having a headaches as i found out the extra padding it provides which can make the straps less strappy and feel like they are digging into your head, just creates a bigger surface area to cause a buildup of pressure on my head which can then turn into a headache which if i ignore can wake me up with the start of a migraine, then i'm scrabbling for painkillers and cold damp cloths for my poor head. it feels like a vicious circle, okay i'm gonna stop complaining know and say thank you for the information. Quick question does the humidifier come with the heated hose they recommend you use it with or is that something extra? thanks Michelle
Comment
-
Hi Chelle,
Thank you for your reply.
Please do try sitting in the day time with the mask on and build this time up so you get more confident and comfortable with wearing the mask.
If you go onto youtube and type in the name of your mask and fitting video, you can watch a video to show you how to put on and adjust the mask correctly. I am not saying you are doing this wrong, but it might help you get a better fit as some customers tend to pull the headgear tight to get a good seal, which then leaves marks on their face.
The headgear is suppose to be comfortable and easy to wear. I know this is strange suggestion but have you tried a small cooling mat. They are on ebay and you can place them on or in your pillow to have a cooling effect on your head.
Please remember you are not alone, and if we can be of any assistance then please just let us know.
Let me know how you get on over the next week or so.
Kelly
Comment
-
Hi Chelle.
No, I just use the one mask. This one here. It’s not very intrusive, and I can easily stop breathing through my nose until I calm down. I don’t need to turn the machine off or take of the mask. This makes it easier for me.
My nose did sometimes feel irritated and sometimes blocked up, but I got a humidifier and it helps stop that happening for me.
Personally, I prefer nasal pillows as they don’t leak very easily, the don’t feel intrusive, and mine is very easy to sleep with. I would be more inclined to try a strap in case my cpap data showed mouth breathing before I’d go full face. But that’s just me.
Did you try nasal pillow first? or did you go straight to a full face mask?
- Reno
Comment
-
Hello, I tried a full face one, which is why i'd like to try a nose one to see the difference the thing is i don't want to get on the wrong end of my dr if she still disagrees with me, but i'm willing to pay for it she won't give me one one the NHS and i have started using a chin strap recently so i guess i don't breath through my nose now! and your right they do leak easily, so i decided to buy a cpap pillow 2.0 the new one out cost me £50 and it did help with less leaking but the cushion is uncomfortable, perhaps i will get used to it... I will be picking up my humidifer soon hopefully, but the hospital is so far away and luckerly i go by hospital transport, but i'd rather pick the humidifier and new nose mask up at same time otherwise it's two trips and the hassle with transport etc etc. Anyway i gonna get hold of the dr tuesday is possible and try and persuade her to give me a nose mask otherwise i'm gonna tell her i'm gonna buy one myself, i have not wore it at all past 2 nights because it's been too hot, i don't think i'm gonna be able to make this work, i must admit i'm getting a little disheartened with all this. Thanks for listening Reno, i think i should ask how are you going with yours, and long have you been using one if it's not a too personal question?
Comment
-
Hello Kelly,
thanks for the tips i actually have one of those cooling mats already, gonna dig it out later and yes i thought i wasn't putting the mask on right too, so watched the video later spoke to dr and she said your putting it on right showing no leakages at her end and machine working fine so i went and got the cpap pillow 2,0 cost enough helps with the mask that's for sure but kinda uncomfortable guess i got to get used to it like everything linked to cpap stuff, i'm must admit i'm not even trying to wear it at all in this heat, it makes things worse because of a couple of health issues i have i get hotter than a normal person does, i don't even use a duvet haven't in about 10 years now the weight of even a light tog hurts my legs and feels uncomfortable sounds stupid i no but true. I also have 2 fans either side on bedside cupboads and when the summer comes i'll have a even bigger fan at the bottom of my feet, one of those big metal fans that feels like you gonna take off the bed, well thank you Kelly given me food for thought which is good in my book so thank you very much.
Comment
-
I’ve been getting along fine. Not been on it for long, maybe 7 or 8 weeks. I had difficulties initially. I literally had to count out my breaths to avoid hyperventilation. Like “In, two, three. Hold, two, three. Out, two three.”Originally posted by chelle View Posti should ask how are you going with yours, and long have you been using one if it's not a too personal question?
Very occasionally, I sometimes do need to count out my breaths, but found it’s a lot more unlikely if the pressure is higher. With the higher starting pressure, I cant tell the cpap machine is on after a minute. I have to put my hand infront of a vent to see if it’s still on. lol
Now, I’m very comfortable using cpap.
Exhalation relief was awful, once that was turned off, things got a lot more comfortable for me. I could start to breathe normally. With it on, I kept getting freaked out and had a hard time staying calm.
Personally, the biggest difference was probably being stubborn. No matter how uncomfortable, I’d still use it or just not sleep at all. So from the horrid first day to now, everyday has been 6+ hours CPAP usage. What I’ve learned is everyone is different when it comes to adjusting to CPAP.
As for the NHS. I’m not the most experienced on that. I decided to buy buy the machine and masks privately. My local NHS sleep clinic has been supportive, though, but probably because they use the same machines. All they really do is look at my sleep data and provide feedback via e-mail.
Comment
-
Hi Chelle,
Thank you for your reply.
I completely understand where you are coming from.
Please note that the nasal masks are for people who breathe exclusively through their nose only. If you are looking to purchase one, them please look at the range we sell. We also offer mask fit insurance on the majority of masks, so if you opted for the insurance this would give you 28 days to try the mask at home. Should it be unsuitable for any reason then you can return it for a refund of the mask price within a 30 day period.
Gel masks can be softer and cooler on the face, so please bear this in mind.
Let me know how you get on with your Doctor, and if we can be of any assistance then please do let us know. Hopefully the cooling mat will help a little with the heat.
Kelly
Comment
-
Hi Reno, i'm so impressed with how you are doing with cpap i wish i was more like you, how you coping in this heat, it's killing me at night i had another go with the cpap last night, didn't last too long. although my face liners have just turned up, so tonight i'm gonna have a go with a cool mat under my head 3 fans blowing from 3 different directions new liners at the ready and hopefully a good night sleep i will have.. I will let you no tomorrow, i'm actually getting a little excited. Oh by the way i no wot u mean about having to concentrate on breathing i'm claustraphobic which doesn't help but having the pressure up on high makes it somehow easier strange right?! It was actually nice having it up on high level last night too because of the heat, but it only lasted a few minutes, then i was back to OMG i have a face hugger on my face Help ME! I'm such and Aliens fan i watched the first film last week and went to bed not even thinking and woke up panicking i had an alien on my face, do not recommend that to anyone. Oh well best be off got to take my cat to the Vets laters, hope you have a good day and night.. Michelle
Comment
-
Thanks Kelly, I
have already looked and i will be buying one from there if the Dr/NHS refuse to let me try a nose cushion mask i use a chin strap or micropore tape on my mouth so i'm training myself to breath through my nose and my husband has been saying my snoring it loads less and no where near as loud as it was before i started with cpap, so that good. I will have a look at the gel masks, so thanks. They can tell if i'm breathing through my nose or mouth right at their end yes? Thanks
Comment
-
Hi Michelle
I’m very sensitive to the heat too. I also use a fan to stay cool and refuse to use any synthetic fibres in the bedding. Everything is 100% cotton.Originally posted by chelle View Posthow you coping in this heat
My mask has a lot less contact areas with the skin than yours, because of the different styles, so it isn’t a big deal for me, but I did find it irritating to my skin at times. I found making sure the mask is clean of any oils, and washing your face before bed drastically reduced the irritation for me.
You may want to check out Sleep Apnoea Trust on Claustrophobia. Maybe the will prove helpful for you.
I also wrote about my first night with CPAP here. There’s an article I referred to in there that helped me a lot in getting over that claustrophobia, especially the videos at the end of the article.
Please don’t lose heart. It is a very unusual thing to get used to, but when your used to it, you wont want to sleep without it. I wont even take a nap, now, without CPAP because I sleep so much better with it.
- Reno
Comment
-
Hi Chelle
When you say - They can tell if i'm breathing through my nose or mouth right at their end yes? - do you mean the doctor?
The easiest way to tell how you breathe is do you snore or wake up with a dry mouth? If yes then you breathe through your nose and mouth and need a full face mask.
If you have a standard full face mask that goes over your nose and mouth, then you could try a hybrid full face mask. These sit under your nose and cover your mouth - https://www.cpap.co.uk/shop/cpap-mas...ral-masks.html
Please do let me know how you get on, and if we can be of any further assistance.
Kelly
Comment
Comment