Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fisher and Paykel Simplus Full Face Mask Review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisher and Paykel Simplus Full Face Mask Review.

Fisher and Paykel Simplus Full Face Mask Review.

I've been using the Simplus for a week now, normally I use a nasal mask but keep a full face to hand for those nights when congestion gets the better of me.

First impressions are really quite good. This is a simple design, the mask cushion is fixed to a rigid dome that clips in and out easily yet securely to the frame. Headgear is simple, with quick release clips on the lower section, and there is no pad on the forehead, it is held in position by the top straps. The cushion is made of a silky finished silicone, not the sticky finish like Resmed, leading to a soft and comfortable fit.

Headgear is thick and feels very high quality with a crown strap and large rear pad. The connection elbow has a good range of movement. I am finding it needs to be a little tighter than most masks but not uncomfortably so

The mask sits lower on the nose than many, similar in position to the Resmed Quattro FX, avoiding the usual irritation point of the bridge of the nose. Air pressure keeps it sealed in position, the top part of the mask hinging on a silicone fold, making it very soft and comfortable. There is plenty of space for moving around.

The mask profile allows for remarkably comfortable side sleeping and the headgear keeps the mask very stable if you're an active sleeper. Side sleepers will find strap marks in the morning but otherwise this mask leaves little marking on the face.

Venting is through multiple small holes on the front, and is very quiet indeed. Combined with the great seal and lack of leak this is a very quiet mask and esay to sleep with. Bed partners will appreciate that the vent is well diffused, not as well as the Eson but certainly not a cold jet of air.

Overall this is a great product, very easy to fit, very quiet and stable and comfortable. Compared to the Quattro FX it is a nicer fit and easier to clean and assemble, and I prefer the material of the Simplus. Compared to F&Ps own Forma it's a totally different fit, the Forma has a chin support and is significantly heavier.

This is now my "top drawer" full face mask, which means that at the moment my top drawer is all F&P (Pilairo, Eson and Simplus).

Thanks for the review, they are always welcome.

No two masks are the same for each user, but it is a good guide.

Ta Mutchly

S2S
    S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Thank you for your reviews Symmit, I am sure many people find them very useful. It is always good to hear about a mask from a CPAP users point of view rather than just the manufacturer themselves!

Comment

Symmit, as always, very grateful for your reports! Many thanks, I'll be buying one of these masks to give it a go.

Comment

I've found that the silicone seal is nice, but prone to leak on either side of the nose. Therefore with my finger I apply a very thin layer of water soluble lubricant (e.g., KY Jelly, etc.) to the sides of the cushion and to the nose bridge area and that works fairly well for me.
          Only other complaint I have is that the crown strap does quite a number on the hair on top of my head leaving a strip which looks like a freshly mowed lawn which doesn't normalize even after a few showers.

Comment

Morning all,

Just joined this site and need some advice and this review is very helpful.
            I’m intrigued in getting a face mask and don’t know much about them, so had a few questions if anyone can help.

Is there a mask that anyone can recommend that doesn’t need a CPAP machine.

Thanks so much, Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,

None of our CPAP machines come with mask so you will need to consider one and you can not use a CPAP machine without a mask.

There are two main types of mask. Nasal masks are for people who breathe exclusively through their nose, throughout the night. The are nasal cushion and nasal pillows varieties; pillows are a good option if you have mild sleep apnoea, but for moderate or severe nasal cushion is usually more comfortable.

Full face mask are for people who breathe through their mouth some or all of the night (if unsure, a full face mask is the safer option).

Please note that all the masks on our website are cross compatible with any of the CPAP machines we currently sell, so you can choose any combination to suit. You can browse our range here - https://www.cpap.co.uk/shop/cpap-masks.html

Please do not hesitate to let us know if we can be of any further advise.

Giny

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyRubs View Post
                Morning all,

Just joined this site and need some advice and this review is very helpful.
                I’m intrigued in getting a face mask and don’t know much about them, so had a few questions if anyone can help.

Is there a mask that anyone can recommend that doesn’t need a CPAP machine.

Thanks so much, Andrew
                All masks need a CPAP/APAP machine or ASV if you are one of the unlucky one.
                There are so many masks out there and they keep changing then all the time. So, you will need to try some to see, before Covid you could walk into a clinic and temporarily try one on, even if it still had the plastic on it, now however, they will not let you. They will take a best guess and give you one home. However, you will first need a diagnoses of Sleep Apnoea, then get a machine.
                Due to Covid this has been very difficult and some clinics have been all but closed. Just there to give emergency supplies out via post. to patients already on their list.
                However, things are starting to move again, so if you think you have OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnoea) you should go to your doctor and discuss it with him/her.
                The other option is going private, this will cost money, however, if you want to shortcut some of the wait, get the doctor to ask if the clinic will accept a private Sleep Test, if so you can get it done privately and send the results in. Then if they think it justifiably requires you to have a CPAP/APAP machine they will call you in to discuss it.
                The other option if you have the money is to go fully private and get a machine from them. If this is your choice, I would recommend that you get a ResMed Autosense10 machine with humidifier.
                Do not fall for those stupid things that clip onto your nose that is supposed to be a CPAP machine that blows air into your nose and is supposed to be all you need and that it will run all night. It is a con, pure and simple. Also think twice before operations, they might work for a short time, but most fail after some time. They are also very painful operations liable and prone to infection, so if ENT suggest this ask for another option, the best option is CPAP/APAP.
                For some people loosing weight will help, for other it doesn't, but it is still healthier to carry less weight.
                After saying that the worst case I have seen was a thin as a rake and I have seen more fat on a chip!
                So there you have it, no mask on its own will help with OSA and it needs to be connected to a machine.
                There are con men out there that will tell you otherwise, but all they want is your money.
                S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Originally posted by JazzDoc View Post
                  I've found that the silicone seal is nice, but prone to leak on either side of the nose. Therefore with my finger I apply a very thin layer of water soluble lubricant (e.g., KY Jelly, etc.) to the sides of the cushion and to the nose bridge area and that works fairly well for me.
                  Only other complaint I have is that the crown strap does quite a number on the hair on top of my head leaving a strip which looks like a freshly mowed lawn which doesn't normalize even after a few showers.
                  Well here I am, a little over a year later than my original post, having some problems with my F&P SIMPLUS. After a while, the Medium size mask just wasn't giving me a proper seal and the leaking noise was bothering my wife. So I tried the Large size which is better and far more comfortable BUT after I'm asleep and my facial muscles relax, the seal on my cheek areas is again failing and the air rush is awakening my wife.
                  I have the head gear straps fairly tight and although I sleep strictly on my back the straps leave marks on my face for an hour or so after I remove the gear.

Is anybody else having the same difficulty getting a durable night-long seal? I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have tried other full face masks, but they turned out to be less comfortable and no better.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Comment

Hi JazzDoc,

Thank you for your post.

I would firstly suggest watching a fitting video for your mask on youtube to check that you are putting on and adjusting the mask correctly. Alot of people tend to adjust the mask whilst sitting up, rather than while laying down as you face is a different shape.

I would also suggest trying a sample pack of RemZzzs mask liners. These are asoft cotton fabric liner creates a barrier, absorbs skin oils and reduces air leaks as well as skin irritation and pressure marks.
                    Here is a link to the product page - https://www.cpap.co.uk/remzzzs-cpap-...sk-liners.html
                    You just need to scroll down to the compatibility chart to find your mask / mask size to then see which options you should be selecting from the drop down menus.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                    X