Fisher and Paykel Eson - full review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisher and Paykel Eson - full review

Fisher and Paykel Eson nasal mask review.

I tend to buy a new CPAP mask every six months or so, ensuring I have a spare mask, and a selection of usable ones in different styles and fits so I can get something appropriate when skin sores appear or congestion makes nasal breathing difficult.

My collection so far includes a basic Hsiner nasal (noisy but seals well, came with my CPAP machine), Sleepweaver Advance (leaky but good), Sleepweaver Elan (Almost perfect, but not proving durable), Resmed Swift FX (stable and quiet but can be a little irritating), Fisher and Paykel Forma (big and heavy but comfortable and stable), Resmet Quattro FX (leaky but comfortable, slips around in the night)

So I decided that as I rarely use the full face masks and am happy with them both, and the pillows mask I wanted is hard to find at the moment (the pilairo) I'd go for the Fisher and Paykel Eson.

My Eson came in a pack with two seal sizes, medium and large. I have a flat, wide nose and both sizes fit fine, the large is a better fit for me so I'm glad it came with both sizes. Both are about the same depth and height, only the width is significantly different.

First impressions were very good, soft materials in contact withthe face, no forehead pad (uses the straps for stabillity) and a thin stabiliser piece keeps it out of your eyeline, and you may be able to wear it over your glasses if you are a TV person in bed.

The mask sits nicely on the nose and does not go all the way to the bridge (similar in this respect to the mirage and quattro FX) sealing very well, I've been leak free so far.

The headgear feels very high quality and has very strong velcro, with quick release hooks for removing the mask easily, handy for an itchy nose as you can remove and reattach very quickly. Very stable with an adjustable crown strap,when you move it stays on your head and moves the mask with you. I've had no prolem sleeping back, side or even front!

The swivel connection has a ball joint arrangement and a 360 degree swivel makng it the best mask I have for hose positioning, it will go in any direction without pulling on the mask.

Venting is through a detachable diffuser and it almost silent with the diffuser on. Also using the diffuser means no jet of air. This is the quietest mask in my collection and the most partner friendly, especially as it seems to never leak on my face so no farting or whistling noises either.

Washing is easy, it all clips apart just remember to remove the diffuser (it has a replaceable filter that should not be washed) before cleaning. Much easier to assemble with positive clicks from all the parts.

Data from the machine and the oximiter shows it as being perfectly good and effective for me.

Overall I'd recommend this, this is the shortest I've had a mask and felt I can review it, it does everything right, seals well and the biggest bonus is the diffuser, no air jet or noise for your bed partner.

can I be cheeky and ask where you got the mask from and how much was it I have only ever had the same mask from my clinic apart from buying one of the sleepweaver earlier masks which is now not in use due to massive leaks into the eyes despite trying everything to stop it. I am now having problems with my mask leaving indents under my nose I do use remzzz all the time but this has only just started to happen so maybe I need to buy a new mask to try and your review seemed positive.

Comment

I got mine from an Ebay seller in germany, took about a weekto arrive. Intus may be able to helpin the uk though but i will private message you the link

Comment

Symmit - many thanks for the review, I will certainly consider this Fisher and Paykel Eson for my next plastic nasal mask. For now though, can't beat the Sleepweaver Advance for me.

Thanks once again!

Comment

ESON is marvelous

Well I did try it, I now have 2 and I won't be using any other mask any time soon (unless I get a cold and have to use a full face in which case I just might buy an F&P Simplus). I have had F&P masks in the past and found them well made but for one reason or another they simply weren't preferred to other masks at that time. I can't find a single negative thing to say about the Eson, it is highly comfortable, light, leak free and durable... I rotate 2 sizes (medium & large) and both fit. The headgear is easy to adjust and clip. This mask is heaven sent and actually not that expensive compared to many others.

Comment

I wish I was getting on as well with the Eson as you are, I find it very hard to breathe using it ...

Comment

Originally posted by frogman9 View Post
              I wish I was getting on as well with the Eson as you are, I find it very hard to breathe using it ...
              Sorry for the delayed reply, had a computer prob.
              Re the Eson, you might try lifting and reseting the mask a little lower on your top lip to see if that eases the situation, I can also see that it could pinch the nose at the top if the straps are adjusted too tight. It really is a light fitting mask and maybe worth persevereing with. What mask do you use otherwise?

Comment

I'm using a Resmed Nano FX and a Resmed Airfit N10.....I sometimes have to change during the night. I was thinking of trying the F&P Zest.

Comment

Working...
                X