Itchy nose !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy nose !

Anyone got any tips on stopping my nose itching - i mean the skin on the outside of the nose - not the membranes or anything. I'm sure the cpap is making my nose itch !

I don't have a humidifier by the way .

Got the same problem, starts itching just as you nod off, wake up with your fingers pushing plastic trying to reach that itch.

Other than sliding my finger up under the chin area of the mask, an itch port would be nice.
    Regards and Good Luck, Barry
    Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Comment

I also have just a nasal mask and no humidifier, but i can't say i've ever had any itching on the nose...upper lip sometimes....
      Peter
      CPAP : Resmed S9 Escape
      MASK : Resmed Swift FX

Comment

Rather than just looking for the remedy I always favour understanding the cause first.

A good starting point, as always, it Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itch

Main points to take home from studying that and other sources:

- Make sure the skin is very clean. Light skin brushing may help.
        - Diet: if your diet is toxin-free your skin has no toxins to excrete.
        - To avoid xerosis, lower room temperature and humidify the air around you (not necessarily the CPAP air alone)
        - An air filter/sterlizer can kill airborne allergens and remove airborne chemicals which can trigger itching.
        - Change shaving foam
        - As it could be iron deficiency - look at your diet for iron sources or supplement
        - Use a natural moisturizer (avoid further chemicals)

Comment

Hmm. Take your point.. But

It don't itch during the day, It didn't itch before the CPAP and it doesn't do it constantly - it just well REALLY itches when it gets going and after a few major scratches dies down and is fine again - but of course getting to it is a bit of a pain (or should that be itch :-) ).

I guess the issue is the machine is kicking out high pressure air (Running at about 18 now) ! and just making it a little bit dry and itchy.

Comment

Perhaps whatever causes the itching only does so when trapped between skin and mask. That could be why you don't feel it during the day.

Comment

I thought that this may be the case, put I've had problems with Zits on my nose pre Cpap. They have a habbit of becoming scabbs and scars without much effort. On top of this, old chicken pox marks and a wart on the tip of my nose, that was removed by the GP with liquid nitrogen. Has left a non too perfect skin on my honk. Then on top of this, my nose hairs are conspiring to drive me mad, they flap around in the wind.

Who said I was obsessed with my nose!

The odd itch I think I can just live with.
              Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Comment

nose bridge pain

I was given my cpap machine on Friday and used it that night. I got the straps tightend right but the part that rests on the forehead pressed too much and gave me a headache. i removed the mask at 4am as it was driving me mad. Saturday night was different. I releived the pressure from my forehead but I developed a pain on the bridge of my nose-this was worse than the headache. I woke this time at 5am and removed the mask. I dont like removing the mask as it does work, cured the snoring and I enjoy having a good sleep. But it defeats the purpose if you wake at 4 or 5am and have to remove it. Does anybody know what I need to do. My follow up at the hospital is'nt until the end of the month so I need to resolve it soon to get a good quality trial from it.

Comment

Hi I went through a period of removing my mask during the night. Its just a matter of persisiting with the mask.

As you may have read here it takes some of us a long time to get the adjustments right. Sometimes its only a change of 1 or 2mm on each strap. You can make a change, it feels O.K. for a few hours then the pressure points start showing up so you make another change and the process goes on. I am in the process of setting up my new spare mask at the moment so can sympathise with you.

Woke up at 5a.m. this morning with a very wet mask. Rain out, had to dry my face of with a towel. The chin part of the mask was pushing on my teeth which was painful. I will have to take a look at my set up again tonight.

Comment

Thanks for that Puffin-I'll keep playing with the straps. My wife suggested putting a cloth under the plastic headrest (the onw that rests on the forhead) to ease the pressure. Do you think that would work or could it cause the mask to fit incorrectly? I'll try anything-she is loving the quiet night-well apart from the humming from the machine.

Comment

Come across these from another thread on here. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CPAP-Wraps

They do strap wraps that could be adapted for the forehead support. I've got a 6' wrap for my tube. I rate it as a quaility product. Cut up towelling or an old fleese would be worth a try first. If your wife is handy on a sawing machine have a go. Care homes use man made sheep skin to relieve pressure points in bed bound people.

My better half loves the near silent nights, just got to find a Cpap for the Dog. Snub nose King Charles Cavalier, snores almost as loud as she does!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Woah, I read the bit about the straps first and thought i was on the wrong forum...!

Ok itching with the mask.. Yes! I wonder if its just to do with the air on the skin cos i only notice it just after the mask gets pressurised.. no biggie, one little rub and Im asleep anyway. Adjusting the straps is important for sure, i get air in the eyes, farting out the sides... until the mask is on and fitting correctly. Balancing the mask to fit all around allows the mask to not have to pull so tightly on my face, and this allows the latex cushion to fit properly too.

I don't think the mask should leave great indentations of where it pulls into the skin too tightly. My mirage quadra certainly doesn't.

M.
                        Mart -- Happy CPAP User since 2005.
                        Resmed S9 Escape + H5i + Climateline and Quattro FX.
                        EPR On and Pressure 12cm.

Comment

i've just askedthe hospital for a humidifier - i'll see if it helps

Comment

More or less to do with this thread... I just came across this 'mask':

Maskless CPAP mask invented by a sleep apnea patient. CPAP therapy with no masks, no straps, no headgear.

It doesn't touch the face at all as the nasal pillows are held in place with a gumshield/mouth piece. Seems uncomfortable to me but who knows, could help someone who doesn't like the facial touch a conventional mask offers. As with many things, not available here!

Comment

Itchy solution?

I too have suffered with the dreaded itchy nose. I have tried a humidifier and nasal spray and hydroC ointment, I even tried trimming nasal hair as the itch occurs on the rim of the nostrils. None of this worked and the problem was starting to affect compliance (around 3 hours avg.) I then discovered E45 - Itch Relief Cream. £3.99 from the chemist. I got immediate relief and now my average is about 6 hours! I went from waking 3 or 4 times a night due to itching to sleeping almost right through!

Comment

Working...
                              X