Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Travel CPAP Machine should I get? + a few other questions

Hi all,
    I am trying to decide between several Travel CPAP devices and I wanted to know which one you all think is best? This is an important decision that's gonna cost me about a thousand dollars, so I don't wanna make a decision I will regret. That's why I'm making this decision slowly.

These are the four I'm considering, from this CPAP supplier webpage which is located near me:

https://shop.cpappal.com/en_us/produ...v=3d9975706be3

The choices are:

1. Resmed AirMini
    2. Philipps Dreamstation Go
    3. Z2 Auto
    4. Apex XT Auto Travel

They are all portable sized and look small as you can see. The cheapest one is XT Auto Travel. It seems to be new since I haven't seen it before. Is it advisable to get the cheapest one? Will that compromise the quality or effectiveness of the device? Are they all pretty much the same?

Anyway, those are the four I narrowed down. Which do you all think is best?

I also have a related few side questions too.

1. The manufacturer told me Wisp mask was the best. Do you all agree?

2. What kind of mask is best? I see there's one that covers the nose and mouth with a plastic triangle piece, and another that just covers the nose with the triangle piece, and another that just has two plugs that go into your nose. Which is better and why? The one that just plugs into your nose without covering it looks the most comfortable. The ones that cover your mouth and nose look restrictive and less comfortable. Am I right?

3. Will the mask last a long time if you clean it and wash it regularly? How often does it have to be washed? Can you just rinse it with water? Does it have to be changed every year? Or can it be used longer as long as it isn't broken?

4. How important is the humidifier? The Dreamstation Go has a humidifier you have to buy separately, which is not cheap. Does that really matter? Some also say that Travel CPAP's don't have good humidifiers so they should not be used for everyday use at home. Is that true? If you drink water or fluids before bedtime, then you should have plenty of fluids in your body right? Why do you need a humidifier? To prevent your mouth from going dry? Shouldn't drinking water be enough to prevent that?

5. Do you need to use distilled water for the humidifier tray? Or is filtered water enough? What about tap water?

Thanks for reading this post, and sorry if these are newbie questions that were asked before.

Btw, it looks like there is a 5th choice now. In another thread here, I read that Resmed Airsense 10 For Her is highly recommended for a Travel CPAP device as well, even though it's not classified as a Travel CPAP. It still looks small and fairly portable, not too big or bulky. Here's what it looks like on YouTube.

What do you all think? Is that one better than the other four Travel CPAP's I listed above?

Comment

Good Morning,

Thank you for your post.

I would suggest the following Travel CPAP machines

1. DreamStation Go Auto Travel CPAP Machine - https://www.cpap.co.uk/dreamstation-...p-machine.html
      This has a battery and humidifier option, and can be used with any mask.

2. Transcend 3 Auto Travel MiniCPAP Machine - https://www.cpap.co.uk/transcend-3-a...ne-503104.html
      This has a battery option, and can be used with any mask.
      You can use the Universal Waterless Disposable Humidifier with this machine - https://www.cpap.co.uk/universal-hea...r-z1-cpap.html

3. Transcend 365 Auto Humidified MiniCPAP Machine - https://www.cpap.co.uk/transcend-365...p-machine.html
      This has a built in humidifier. and does have a battery as an optional extra. This machine can be used with any mask.

4. SleepCube AutoAdjust Plus Automatic CPAP Machine - https://www.cpap.co.uk/sleepcube-aut...-autocpap.html
      This is classed as a main machine, but is small enough to travel with. This has a humidifier and battery option and can be used with any mask.

The ResMed Airmini does not have a battery option, and can only be used with specific ResMed masks, so can be restrictive to some users.

In response to the questions that you asked

1. The manufacturer told me Wisp mask was the best. Do you all agree?
      There is no 1 mask that is above all the others. Masks are specific to the individual customer.

2. What kind of mask is best? I see there's one that covers the nose and mouth with a plastic triangle piece, and another that just covers the nose with the triangle piece, and another that just has two plugs that go into your nose. Which is better and why? The one that just plugs into your nose without covering it looks the most comfortable. The ones that cover your mouth and nose look restrictive and less comfortable. Am I right?
      There are two main types of mask. Nasal masks are for people who breathe exclusively through their nose, throughout the night. The are nasal cushion and nasal pillows varieties; pillows are a good option if you have mild sleep apnoea, but for moderate or severe nasal cushion is usually more comfortable.
      Full face mask are for people who breathe through their mouth some or all of the night (if unsure, a full face mask is the safer option).

3. Will the mask last a long time if you clean it and wash it regularly? How often does it have to be washed? Can you just rinse it with water? Does it have to be changed every year? Or can it be used longer as long as it isn't broken?
      The masks have a manufacturers warranty of 90 days. The masks tend to last between 3-6 months, depending upon how well they are looked after, and whether they are cleaned regularly. We do sell mask parts. so you can easily replace the cushion or headgear if required. Each mask comes with cleaning instructions from the manufacturer. We suggest washing them with warm soapy water, using a mild detergent each morning after use.

4. How important is the humidifier? The Dreamstation Go has a humidifier you have to buy separately, which is not cheap. Does that really matter? Some also say that Travel CPAP's don't have good humidifiers so they should not be used for everyday use at home. Is that true? If you drink water or fluids before bedtime, then you should have plenty of fluids in your body right? Why do you need a humidifier? To prevent your mouth from going dry? Shouldn't drinking water be enough to prevent that?
      If you find yourself waking up with a dry mouth, nose or throat then a humidifier should instantly solve that problem. By adding warmth and moisture to the air provided by your CPAP machine, they help keep your mouth moisturised throughout the night. Similarly, if you find the air from your CPAP to be cold and uncomfortable, a humidifier should make your therapy more comfortable.It is not essential. We normally suggest using a CPAP machine and mask first to see how you get on.

5. Do you need to use distilled water for the humidifier tray? Or is filtered water enough? What about tap water?
      The manufacturer advised for user to use distilled or filtered water in the humidifier. Not tap water, as this can cause a build up of lime scale.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
      X