Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

Hello Everyone

I am wondering if you could help me. I have been diagnosed with Severe OSA in November 19; however have been waiting since then for an NHS hospital appointment for a CPAP machine.

My local CPAP clinic is not running at the moment due to COVID-19, and I really can’t cope with the OSA anymore untreated. It is having an serious impact on my relationship and work.

With the NHS being no help at the moment, I was wondering if you can help me buy my own CPAP and mask and let me know what I would need?

I know absolutely nothing about CPAP so am an absolute newbie!

Thank you in advance!

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email. What I can do is give you some information to get you started.

Here is a link to the advice section on our website - https://www.cpap.co.uk/information/c...ice/cpap-masks This is worth a quick read and does answer many of people's initial questions.

To get you started with CPAP therapy, you would need a CPAP machine and mask.

To start with, you will need to choose an Automatic CPAP machine. These machines work between a lower lower and an upper limit, increasing and decreasing during the night based on your requirement at any given time. There are fixed-pressure machines also, but this is only an option once you have used an Automatic machine for a period of time. All the CPAP machines work the same way, and you cannot make a "wrong" choice in terms of the effectiveness. The difference between them are the features that they offer, and therefore which you feel you would benefit from.
    For example:

1. Dreamstation Auto - This has Bluetooth connectivity, and an app/website that you can review your data on a daily basis to see how well the therapy is working. It is probably the quietest machine currently available (though all are under 30Db).
    2. SleepCube Auto - Probably the easiest machine to use, and is quite portable as it does not have an external power brick. Also has a three-year warranty, so is very reliable.
    3. SleepStyle Auto - The most advanced machine available, this has a built-in humidifier. Humidification prevents you waking with a dry mouth; if you already experience this, then CPAP is likely to make this more frequent and a humidifier is therefore recommended. The SleepStyle has this built-in (the two above can have it added as a separate item that connects to the main device). All of the above can be found here - https://www.cpap.co.uk/shop/cpap-mac...-machines.html

The only other item you would need to get started is a mask. There are two main types of mask.
    Nasal masks are for people who breathe exclusively through their nose, throughout the night. The are nasal cushion and nasal pillows varieties; pillows are a good option if you have mild sleep apnoea, but for moderate or severe nasal cushion is usually more comfortable.
    Full face mask are for people who breathe through their mouth some or all of the night (if unsure, a full face mask is the safer option).

Please note that all the masks on our website are cross compatible with any of the CPAP machines we currently sell, so you can choose any combination to suit. You can browse our range here - https://www.cpap.co.uk/shop/cpap-masks.html So you can choose which mask type based on your breathing style, and then within the types they are listed roughly in order of popularity.

The keys things to think about when looking at masks are:
    1. Size - if you are asked to select a size, then underneath the photographs you will find a "Downloads" tab. if you click on here, you will see a sizing guide. Please download this file and print out at 100%. There is normally an inch square, ruler or credit card diagram on the sizing guide for you to check that it has printed out at the right size. Follow the instructions on the sizing guide to measure your face, and to see which size mask is best for you. Please note the sizing guides are mask specific. So, if you are a medium in "Mask A", then you may not be a medium in "Mask B" - always use the guide for the specific mask you are choosing.
    2. Mask Fit Insurance - This is available on most masks and allows you to try the mask at home for 28 days, and if it is unsuitable for any reason then you can return it for a refund of the mask price. We recommend taking out the mask fit insurance to any new CPAP user, and to people who are changing their mask to something different. This costs 14.99 for nasal masks and 19.99 for full face masks.

So please do have a look at the CPAP machines and masks, and then if you have any questions or would like to talk through the products, then you can call us on 0800 024 8050 or reply to this email.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
    X