Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie on here saying hi! And a few questions

Hi All,

I'm a 43 year old male, and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea approx 18 months ago.

Although I believe I've had it since my late 20s.

I've been given a cpap Phillips respetronics or something along those lines and admit I hardly used it until I was told how severe my sleep apnea was.

Now I believe my machine is auto but its been set to 15 whatever that means, as I said I wasn't using the device due to it constantly waking me up with hard blasts of air.

The problem now is I've been using it nightly for 2 months and feel absolutely awful. Any recommendations gratefully received.

Just to add I'm not grossly over weight I'm 5 10"

And just under 14 stone. But have a large neck and been told it's common with people with larger necks.

Thank you!

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

It sound sound like you have a Philips Dreamstation Pro CPAP machine or a System One REMStar 60 Pro CPAP machine. Can you look at the bottom of your machine to see if there is a name and whether this says pro or auto. If you have, then can you let me know then I can advise re the pressure settings.

Do you know if you have a ramp period set on the machine? There is normally a button with a triangle symbol on its side, so when you press this, this hold the pressure at a lower pressure for X amount of time before increasing to the set pressure or required pressure when using an auto CPAP machine. If the machine wakes you up with hard blasts, then this can be down to an air leak. You can press the ramp button if enabled, and then adjust your mask to be able to go back to sleep. Some people knock their masks when they move in the night, which break the seal of the mask on the face. The machine can detect this as an air leak, and can increase the pressure to compensate, depending upon the machine the settings on your machine. Can I kindly ask which mask you are using, and do you get a good fit with this mask?

If you have a Dreamstation CPAP machine, then have you created an account on the dreammapper.com website or app, and linked your CPAP machine to it so that you can review the data? - https://www.philips.co.uk/healthcare/consumer/sleep-apnea/starting-treatment/dreammapper/get-started#get_started If you have a Dreamstation, then I would suggest doing this, and then website/app will allow you to review the nights data, the morning after. This would also allow you to email us a data report to see what is going on.

If you have a SystemOne CPAP machine, then you can upload the data from your SD card onto your Dreammapper account - https://www.philips.co.uk/healthcare...ed#get_started

If you would like to send us a report from your dreammapper account, then we are happy to look at your data to see what we can suggest to help you. Ideally we would ask for 1 months worth of data, or at least 10-14 nights. If you would like me to send you instructions on how to do this, then please email me at contact@intushealthcare.eu.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance.

Kelly

Comment

HI, I am also new to this, I received a letter this morning telling me that I have severe sleep apnea and will be be getting a letter to go and collect a machine. The Doctor also says she sees not reason to meet me at all. Someone on here says you seemed uptight about this. You have said you are not, well I am. I am a female, 55 not particularly overweight but like you think Ive probably had this for years if my snoring is any clue! I am horrified at the thought of a CPAP/APAP and have been researching what masks are available ( which is how I found this forum). as I really am appalled at the thought of wearing this. What do you do about travelling? I am going to be given really old fashioned bulky equipment as it is NHS? Do I need to think about how to buy it myself?

Comment

Good Morning

Thank you for your post.

I understand being diagnosed with sleep apnoea and being told that you have to use a CPAP machines can be quite frightening at first. All you need to do when you have the equipment is pop the mask on, and then turn the CPAP machine on and go to sleep.

The NHS will give you a mask and machine to get started. I would suggest going with what equipment they give you so that you can get started on your CPAP therapy, and get use to wearing a mask at night whilst you sleep. By wearing the mask that they give you, you will then have some knowledge/experience with what it feels like to wear a mask and find out what you like and dislike about the mask. Getting the right mask for you is the key to your CPAP therapy. There is always an adjustment period when you are new to CPAP therapy or change your mask/machine.

Try the NHS machine and mask, and then let us know how you get on.

Then if you want to try an alternative mask or look at a smaller travel machine, then we can help you.

If once you have the CPAP equipment from the NHS, should you have any questions or need any help then please email us at contact@intushealthcare.com or call on 0800 024 8050 and we would be happy to help you.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
        X