Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using CPAP in USA - Help!

Hiya,
    Off to the USA on holiday and am taking my CPAP machine, have extension lead and a flight letter from my hospital...but...does anyone have a clue about adapters??
    Do I just need a normal adapter plug or do I need to get a voltage changer adapter plug type thing?
    I am getting really worried now that I'll take my machine and it won't work properly. I was told I needed a voltage change plug, then was later told a normal adapter plug was fine.
    Does anyone have any idea? Would be super grateful for any help and advice.
    Apologise if i have posted this in the wrong section and if this has already been discussed on the forum.
    Thank you!

Take a couple of those universal power socket adaptor thingies - available at the airport.

Now, look at the power supply of your machine. I imagine it is a little black box half way between your machine and the wall socket. Look at the label on it. I imagine it says in words or symbols something like: Input 110 - 220 Vac or there might be a little wavy line above a straight one. If you don't have a separate power unit, look for the label on the machine that tells you about power.

Every machine I know takes 110 - 220 Volts alternating current and 50 - 60 cycles per second but let's just check yours conforms. This means you can plug it into any socket anywhere in the world and the power is converted to what the machine needs to work - 12volts direct current, as in car batteries (but you would need an adapter to use a car battery to make sure thhe polaritty was the right way round - that varies with some machines.)

Now go on holiday and enjoy yourself! America is the Land of PAP - you get into trouble, that's the place to get sorted (and buy any CPAP gear you might fancy - spare mask? - much cheaper over there).
    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

What Tigers says. I've been all over the world with 3 different CPAP machines, never needed anything different to the adaptor plug you would use for a phone charger, computer etc. If you are still concerned email or phone the machine manufacturer - they are more likely to give you a definitive (and correct) answer than the clinic

Comment

As above, almost all CPAP machines have auto-switching now between 110 and 240V, so there shouldn't be any issues. Respironics and DeVilbiss certainly have that and I believe ResMed does also, and as TF says it should say on the machine.

You can pick us a US figure-8 lead for a couple of quid on ebay as used by most machines so you can simply swap it out with minimal fuss.
        Tom @ Intus

You can now follow Intus on Twitter!

Comment

Baby Gail (apex 111) has been with me to several European countries and enjoyed all her trips.....only place I had problems was Switzerland. They use a skinny 2 pin round plug and nothing else fitted. We had a few adaptors with us but only one worked. Were there over easter so no shops, so if we hadn't had that one I was buggered.

Comment

Hi all, just wanted to say thank you for the info you all gave me - sorry only now remembered my login-in details!
            But I had no probs at all using my machine in NYC - all I needed was a normal everyday UK to USA adaptor plug.
            So thank you xx

Comment

Hope you and the beast both enjoyed the trip.

Comment

Working...
              X