machine keeps beeping and switching off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machine keeps beeping and switching off

Ive been using my current machine for two weeks. Its a replacement for a previous one I was using on and off for about 9 months. The reason i asked for a replacement was because it kept switching off after beeping a few times and then to stop the beep and the flashing arrow I have to pull the plug out of the back.
    However the brand new replacement machine is also doing the same..has anyone else had experience of this?

PS it has a heated humidifier attached and I use a full face mask.

Hi there

which machine is it?

Comment

"Mask off" alarm, I'll bet, as in very large leakage/slipped mask.

You can Google the user manual for your machine to find out for sure.

TF
      Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
      Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Originally posted by symmit View Post
        Hi there

which machine is it?
        Hi . It's a Philips REMstar Auto A-Flex and I use it with a Mirage Quattro FFM mask. It does tend to 'Phrrrrrp' a lot! I tried a smaller mask previously but felt it was too tight and when my jaw dropped it leaked air

Comment

machine keeps switching off

went back to hospital today and explained the problem...was made to feel like a fraud as the machine decided to work ok..nurse said, it's strange, no-one else has said that their machine switches off ( that I find hard to believe). Anyway was given a different machine, an AutoSet Spirit II, ...the saga continues..

continued.....Ive cleaned all the parts of the mask and descaled the water tank on this new AutoSet Spirit and tried it out..A) .it is VERY noisy!!!! like sleeping next to an air conditioning unit....and B) the first message says, "High Air leak", Ive checked the hose for leaks and the mask is tight around my face it's almost a part of me....STILL no joy and the prospect of another day's attempt to get anything done at work that needs activation of any kind of brain cell is worrying me....Has anyone suggestions as to where the mask could be leaking or why three machines in a row have failed to function properly...I am tempted to take it back to the hopsital ( UH Cov and Warks) tomorrow and insist on them trying it out on me while I am there... getting anxious about my sleepless state
          Last edited by aliflower56; 8 November 2011, 19:54. Reason: wanted to add further developments

Comment

Loosen the headgear!

An over-tightened headgear is absolutely guaranteed to cause leaks.

What is common to all three machines and all your masks? You are! What are you doing to cause the same fault with all machines?

Over-tightening the mask headgear is my guess. Without using the headgear at all - just hold the mask to your face - see how far you can back it off from your face without leakage occuring. Now get that same feeling but using the headgear. The mask should not be almost a part of you - it should float on its cushion (softly) over your face. Make sure you have the forehead screw adjusted to give room for 'floating'.

TF

Comment

As it is not unknown for power sockets and extension leads to become faulty- have you tried plugging the machine into a different power socket at home? Or do you by chance use an extension socket to run the machine at home, in which case have you tried a different one?

Just a thought.

Comment

hi both of you...thank you so much for your suggestions.....It's a pity that three nurses at the hospital could not suggest what the problem might be instead of throwing different machines at me
                I will try wearing the mask much looser tonight and see if it makes a difference. If it does I will probably ask to be able to have the previous machine back as this older model is like sleeping next to an air con unit...( oh Ive already said that!) Problem is that if loosen the mask it's constantly slipping off my head maybe if I wet my hair before putting it on? I will get back to you tomorrow, thanks for your time in replying to me, much appreciated

Comment

Out of curiosity, what mask are you using? and have you put it together correctly? Some masks when taken apart manage to leak wherever it isn't fitted back properly.
                  When you first put the mask on run your finger around the edge, at some point you will be able to see where it is leaking from even if you cant stop it leaking it might help you understand it a bit more.
                  Try it before you go to bed, there is nothing worse than trying to sleep and not being able to get comfortable in a reasonable amount of time.

Lorraine
                  APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
                  Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

How about termites in your underwear?

Comment

I cannot say I have ever had termites in my underwear, finding it hard to decide what would be worse.

Is this something I can expect on my travels next year? Should I be afraid?
                      I am struggling with nightmares about big spiders, now I cand termites to my night terrors. Thanks
                      Happy days
                      Lorraine
                      Last edited by ElleCee; 10 November 2011, 19:22.
                      Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

A list is not complete without crocodiles!

PS A pink Mini Cooper has taken up residence two doors away!
                        Last edited by Tigers Fan; 10 November 2011, 18:53.

Comment

Do they have crocodiles in the Amazon or is it just caymen?

Tell Ms Pink Mini Cooper that she has no originality, it was done by me 10 years ago and is old hat now.
                          If I was to do it again now I would go for a nice peach colour or maybe a pretty lilac

Comment

Originally posted by ElleCee View Post
                            Do they have crocodiles in the Amazon or is it just caymen?
                            We have a PROPA-GATOR in our garden!

Comment

Oh, that's got to be like...

For Christmas I want an i-pad or an i-pod but my husband says I cant have either till I get the hang of using my i-ron first.

Comment

Working...
                              X