Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared New User-all advice appreciated

Hi guys xx

I tried out my new CPAP machine for the first time last night. I lasted just ten pathetic minutes before I panicked, cried and took it off. I think the main problem for me is I've never breathed through my nose... I breathe through my mouth when asleep and awake so, breathing just through my nose is completely alien to me. How do I get over this??

The other thing was... I was worried about not falling asleep before the full air pressure kicked in. Although I had it on the longest delay, the closer it got, the more I stressed about it.... Ironic really, considering I could normally fall asleep pegged to a washing line!!!

Right now I feel like it will never get any easier... Like I will never be able to fall asleep being comfortable with this and like it will make my life harder instead of easier.... I'm sure that's not the case and guess I'm looking for
    advice as well as reassurance from people who have been where I am and come out the other side

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from some of you before tonight's second attempt

L xx

Originally posted by xxNaughtyAngelxx View Post
    Hi guys xx

I tried out my new CPAP machine for the first time last night. I lasted just ten pathetic minutes before I panicked, cried and took it off. I think the main problem for me is I've never breathed through my nose... I breathe through my mouth when asleep and awake so, breathing just through my nose is completely alien to me. How do I get over this??

The other thing was... I was worried about not falling asleep before the full air pressure kicked in. Although I had it on the longest delay, the closer it got, the more I stressed about it.... Ironic really, considering I could normally fall asleep pegged to a washing line!!!

Right now I feel like it will never get any easier... Like I will never be able to fall asleep being comfortable with this and like it will make my life harder instead of easier.... I'm sure that's not the case and guess I'm looking for
    advice as well as reassurance from people who have been where I am and come out the other side

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from some of you before tonight's second attempt

L xx
    Hi,
    It sounds like you have been given a nasal mask only. If you are a mouth breather when you sleep this is not really suitable. You should have a lot more success with a full face mask. This should have been discussed at your consultation; if you have a full face mask you can breathe through your nose and mouth. Contact the sleep clinic they should be able to sort out a full face mask very quickly.

I personally use a nasal mask but sleep with my mouth firmly closed so it is not a problem for me.
    I have never used a full face mask and cannot comment on their ease of use.

Regards
    Dez Ellis

Comment

New User L.

Hi L. For most of us the mask takes some getting used to. Don't expect miracles the first few nights--and don't fight the mask. Just take it off and try again later. It helps to wear the mask in the day while you are awake-- just to get used to having it on your face. In the evening or afternoon you might hook the mask to the Cpap and try it out while you watch tv or listen to music. (Or read if you can see to do so.) The Key Word is Panic. The mask won't hurt you like some alien being, You need to get past the Panic-- and learn how to tighten the straps just right, Not too tight and not too loose--it takes time to learn the right adjustments. With the right mask you will eventually get used to sleeping with it on. After a year with mine I can't sleep without it. And actually look forward to bedtime. I go to sleep immediately and stay asleep for 7 to 9 hours most nights. Now and then my blood sugar drops too low and wakes me--but I just wake up to test that and handle it, and go right back to sleep. I use a nasal pillow mask and not a full face mask. What mask you will do best with depends on whether or not you are a mouth breather or nose breather. The main thing is DON'T Panic--you will get used to using the mask. Just relax and stick with it tlll it becomes natural to you. Know that we all go through the Angry Why Me Stage--the Poor Me Stage--the Rebellion Stage--and finally Acceptance. Take your time to get used to the mask, and if you have to take it off a few times don't beat yourself up over it. Just keep trying. Good Luck xx Berneta

Comment

It sounds to me like you need a full face mask too, at least with one of those you can breathe however you like without worrying.
        Another idea is to put the mask on during the evening whilst still up and watch TV with it on. Don't hook it up to the machine till you go to bed but get used to how it feels wearing it while there is no chance of falling asleep.
        When you do go to bed and hook it up, try reading or listening to the radio instead if laying in silence thinking about what may or may not happen.

Good luck tonight
        Lorraine
        APAP: F & P Iconaax auto
        Masks: Resmed Swift FX, Sleep Weaver, Mirage Liberty and most other makes and models.

Comment

Working...
        X