CPAP machines and accessories cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPAP machines and accessories cleaning

I am a new user of CPAP and the difference it has made to my life is incredible. Cleaning the mask isn't an issue but I am conscious that if anything starts growing in the machine or humidifier, I am going to be very vulnerable to a chest infection. I see that there are a variety of devices that either use UV light or ozone to sterilise the equipment. UV light won't be able to work inside the CPAP machine so it looks like ozone is the way to go. Ozone devices vary from relatively cheap machines that plug into the airline at around 40 up to things like the SoClean at 240. Can someone give me some idea which is the way to go?

Mike

Hi Mike,

If you are looking for a device that kills 99.9% of CPAP germs and bacteria in your mask, hose and reservoir with no disassembly, no water, and no chemicals, then you might want to consider the SoClean 2 CPAP Sanitiser
    https://www.cpap.co.uk/soclean-2-cpa...sanitiser.html

Dont forget to order the correct adapter.
    We have the UK's lowest price for the SoClean, plus you can try it RISK FREE for 30 days! Simply return it to us within 30 days, and we give you a full refund.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if we cna be of any further advise.

Giny

Comment

Hi Mike,
      You don't really need anything special to clean your equipment, unless you are especially vulnerable, i.e. you have a chest problem.
      All you need to do is thoroughly wash the humidifier in soap that you wash dishes in, give it a good clean, make sure you get into the folds of the seal.
      Leave everything to dry, hang the hose up so water drips out of it, even the heated hose can be washed by putting some wash liquid down the tube,, run some water down, hold the ends and slosh the water up and down the hose, hold up and rinse out soap. This should be done once a week. I do it every month, that is more than enough for me.
      Headgear and mask can be washed in the same way. White vinegar can be used every now and again to get rid of tougher stains, but this will normally be for the water tub for the humidifier.
      If you are in a soft water area (England) you will need to keep on top of the build up of calcium by soaking the tub in white vinegar, this will dissolve the calcium, you will need to do this every week or two. I do not have to do this as I am in Scotland where water does not have any deposits in it. If you want to keep your tub clear of a build up, but large bottles of spring drinking water from the Highlands where there is nothing in the water to worry about.
      Now, they will tell you to use Distilled Water, I have never used it, well not true, I got a bottle when I first got a machine. Once I used it I just used tap water here, I use Scottish Spring water from the highlands when elsewhere and have had no problems. No build up at all. All I do is wash everything with dish soap and have had no problems at all.
      Only thing to watch for if you have a ResMed 10 machine is mould will build up in the fold of the seal on the Humidifier if you don't keep it clean, take it out and wash it well, dry it with a paper towel and set aside to air dry. Do this often, even if you don't wash the rest of it.
      S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

I use tap water and a drop of vinegar (any vinegar, white, malt, wine etc will do) to clean the humidifier. I do this about once a week but probably wouldn`t need to do it so often if I didn`t live in London where the water is very hard. I`ve done this since I got a machine with a humidifier about 2 years ago, seems to work well and is very cheap!

Comment

Hi Lucy.

It is good to clean your water chamber with white vinegar to remove the limescale.
          It is also recommended to use distilled water or filtered water like with a Brita jug and to empty the water chamber every morning and to add fresh water at night.

Giny

Comment

Working...
          X