Inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter

I am trying to power my APAP using a inverter but am having problems.
    It seems that the voltage of the CPAP battery I bought, from Intus, is too high to run the inverter.
    The inverter requires a maximum input voltage of 15v but the CPAP battery has a voltage of 16.4.
    Does anybody use a inverter and a battery pack to run a machine
    Resmed S9 Autoset
    Resmed H5i humidifier with Climateline
    Resmed Quatro Fx and F&P Forma masks

A bit late in replying, apologies for that.

We don't recommend using our batteries with an inverter. Even if it did work, the battery would last only for 1 or 2 hours use. By using an inverter to convert 12V to 240V, a 20x increase, you therefore reduce the lifespan of the battery by 20x as a result, as is the case with any battery used in this way.

Using the appropriate 12V cable for your machine will allow you to run the machine natively from DC power, rather than it having to be converted to AC and suffering the reduced usage times.

The S9 converter can be sourced from ResMed directly. You can purchase it online from their store here.

Using that will be far more convenient than using an inverter, and allow you to use the battery to its full potential.

I'm sure you've probably resolved this already (apologies for not seeing your post sooner) but hopefully it will help others in a similar situation.
    Tom @ Intus

You can now follow Intus on Twitter!

Comment

As the circuit breaker is faulty on the battery. it should trip at 3A, and its out of warranty I dont want to possibly waste money buying a Resmed Converter and find I still have problems.

http://www.powerstream.com/cpap-battery-75.htm

This website has the specifications for the battery and half way down it gives the circuit breaker information
      Last edited by silvercarper; 17 November 2012, 17:53.
      Resmed S9 Autoset

Comment

The S9 is a 24v machine so the Resmed converter doubles the battery voltage to 24v

But as I said from my first post the fully charged voltage of the battery is 16.4v but the maximum input voltage for the inverter is 15v. This means that the battery can not be used with a inverter unless the battery is partially discharged first.
        Last edited by silvercarper; 19 November 2012, 17:27. Reason: Removed inverter information
        Resmed S9 Autoset

Comment

Originally posted by silvercarper View Post
          As the circuit breaker is faulty on the battery. it should trip at 3A, and its out of warranty I dont want to possibly waste money buying a Resmed Converter and find I still have problems.

http://www.powerstream.com/cpap-battery-75.htm

This website has the specifications for the battery and half way down it gives the circuit breaker information
          I'm not familiar with the story to be honest, but how about if you send it to us, we can see if there's a problem with it, and if all is well then you'll be OK to get the ResMed cable without worrying about whether you're wasting your money or not. Does that sound OK to you?

If there is a problem then we'll take it from there. Let me know via PM and we'll look into getting this resolved for you.
          Tom @ Intus

Comment

Originally posted by silvercarper View Post
            The S9 is a 24v machine so the Resmed converter doubles the battery voltage to 24v

But as I said from my first post the fully charged voltage of the battery is 16.4v but the maximum input voltage for the inverter is 15v. This means that the battery can not be used with a inverter unless the battery is partially discharged first.
            The ResMed cable would have no such issues as that can accept between 12V and 24V, so should run without any issue.

ResMed machines are particularly troublesome when it comes to powering them. Being Australian built, the polarity is the other way around. That is why they have a notably bigger mains power brick than most, and why their 12V cables are 2-3x as expensive as others.

So yes, powering a ResMed can be problematic. However, with the official cable it should all be fine. As I mentioned above, if you send it in we'll get it tested for you and let you know whether or not you're clear to get the cable.

(We'll keep any further discussion about this off the forum, as that should be done via email, but the thread can be kept open for general discussion)
            Tom @ Intus

Comment

Have to say I have a resmed machine and do a lot of camping. I use a 12v leisure battery with an inverter and it all appears to work just fine

I am in the UK not that that would make a difference!

I also have a generator and could recharge my battery if necessary - such a panic needing electric every night but I think I have all angles covered now and nothing stops me!!

Comment

dc to ac

I am an avid camper. I have an inverter which I use at the few camp sites that have no tent electrical points. So far I have only used it to power lights and charge my mobile phone. I have been googling to find out how long my car battery would last using my CPAP machine (65 watts) and understand it would be flat in less than a night. I have been looking at batteries with a larger capacity, both lead auto batteries and lithium ion, but both are astronomically expensive. The same goes for the smallest Honda generator R7000 (+- 470 sterling). For the approximate 10 nights a year I am at a camp site with no electric points it is just not economical. There is one camp in a valley on a farm that I am crazy about (lots of walks, about 9 river pools to swim in and far from civilization) which I will no longer be able to camp at - so will have to stay in one of their more expensive chalets in future.

Comment

Hi Iain, welcome to the forums! Which CPAP machine are you using currently?
                  Tom @ Intus

Comment

Hi Tom,

I am using the deVilibis Sleepcube Auto Adjust.

Iain

Comment

Hi Iain,

No need to use an inverter then. The SleepCube can run directly off of 12V using a £9 cable - far cheaper! And the battery will last much, much longer than if using 240V through an inverter.

The SleepCube Cigarette Lighter DC Power Cord can be found here.

That should solve your problem!
                      Tom @ Intus

Comment

If your machine has 12v option its is always safer to run its off a battery. Even if you charge a spares battery off a car or other 12v supply. If you have a car with you you can get a charge devices for caravans that will allow you to charge the spare battery while the car is running.
                        A lot safer that having 240volts around especially if you are camping etc.
                        S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Thanks guys,

I hav e considered that, but according to the battery drain sped calculator, my car battery would be dead within a few hours. A I correct?

Comment

I would say it is highly unlikely.

We provide 12v batteries on our commercial website, and they have far, far smaller capacities than a car battery.

The smallest battery we do is the Mini 12V CPAP Battery, and that has a capacity of 79Wh and can power a SleepCube for about 10 hours.

A car battery has around 1,000Wh I believe, so there's very little risk of it draining the battery unless it was already significantly discharged to begin with. Best checking what Wh your car battery actually has, but it's highly unlikely to be a problem.
                            Tom @ Intus

Comment

Inverter

Iain, could you not use the battery overnight then recharge it somewhere during the day? That is what I have done when staying at horseshows. if your campsite has chalets there must be electric about?

Comment

Working...
                              X