No announcement yet.

strange pink build up in reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd keep Harpic well away from a humidifier chamber though...

Comment

Hi Late getting back to this thread (sorry)
      I,ve been on cpap almost 2 years now I clean my chamber as instructed by my cpap therapist which is a weekly wash in warm soapy water.
      As instructed i fill reservoir with tap water.
      Any further help or advice would be welcomed. Julian.

Comment

Cover the bottom with white vinegar, leave it for a bit, then rinse it out really well. That should get rid of any scaling the natural way. Alternatively, any natural descaling like from brands like Ecover should do the job. I wouldn't stick an agressive kettle descaler in there, try more natural methods first. Acidic citrus fruits like grapefruit apparently works well too.

Comment

Thanks James will try the white vinegar Julian.

Comment

Hi All
            Found this link today some of you may find it of interest.

www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=417200

Regards Julian

Comment

I bought a home water distiller. They cost about £140 - but the cost of buying distilled water and the nuisance of having it delivered will eventually make it worthwhile. I have used it successfully for about nine months - and the water is also useful to use in a steam generator iron - so you don't have to descale it.
              DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
              Sleepweaver

Comment

A bit late in the day to add to this, but I have the pink stuff too. I use distilled water only. Vinegar works to clean it, but I have heard that steradent tablets (false knasher cleansers) do a great job without the pong of vinegar. Going to get some and try them out.

Comment

It is an air born bacteria so using distilled water will not stop it appearing.
                  As soon as it appears I just wash out the humidifier bottle with soapy water and use a paint brush to get into the corners.
                  If you want you can wash it out with diluted white vinegar but it does smell a bit. A very weak solution of baby bottle cleaning fluid will work to kill off any bacteria (I do mean weak), then rinse out right away. DO NOT LET IT GET ONTO SILICONE SEALS, it may damage them. Just use the solution on a paint brush to get into the corners and rinse out almost right away, keep water running across it for a moment to make sure it has all been washed away. All cleaners are corrosive, including vinegar, which will attack the heating plate at the bottom of your humidifier, so short exposure and wash well.
                  S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

I can confirm that these false teeth cleaning tablets work great! Needed a little brush scrubbing in one tight corner of the tank, but am now completely free of the pink stuff. Sorry about the photo not working.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Last edited by ukflyer; 23 January 2018, 15:31.

Comment

Don't worry about the photo not working, this site has changed a lot and I'm not even sure what all works and what does not anymore.
                      There used to be a lot of posters here with a lot of knowledge here, but the forum changed a lot and they all vanished.
                      The management I thought would have sent them all am email asking them back. There is still a lot of info on here though and it is free to access it all.
                      The pink slime is a thing I have always had in humidifiers ever since I first got one more years ago than care to admit to.
                      However, it has not done me any harm that I know of, so I just clean it out as best I can when it builds up.
                      You get the same on the walls of a shower and most places where there is water. I have not heard of it causing problems and when I mentioned it at the Sleep Clinic they only said "Oh yes, it is very common, just to clean it off with clean water and soap"
                      It is airborne, so it will not be long or it returns. In fact it takes only a couple of days before it shows signs of returning. Be careful with sterilising tablets on the silicone seals etc, it might damage them.
                      It might also damage the metal bottom of the humidifier chamber.
                      S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Hi guys, just joined, glad I did, as I too got this weird build up of pink or reddish stuff in reservoir, usually if I had not changed water for couple of days.. I now change water daily using distilled water, you can get it in Tesco or any car spares shop at at a reasonable price, that seems to have cured the problem. When I did get it, it was always in hard to clean corners, thank god for cotton buds. I don't think it presents any great health risk, I have also a heart condition with a defibrillator fitted and have never noticed any ill effects whatsoever. Great to have a forum like this by the way.

Comment

Hi Craic,

Thank you for your post.

We do recommend that you use distilled or filtered water in your humidifier, and that you empty the water chamber each morning after use. This will reduce build up limescale etc, and will also keep the humidifier well maintained and your water in your humidifier clear. You can purchase distilled water from a local chemist (not a chain like Superdrug or Boots). Alternatively you can order it from Amazon.

Kelly

Comment

The pink slime build up is an airborne thing that even distilled water will not stop. It is not very harmful (so I have been told) but should be kept to low levels.
                            You will find this pink slime in showers and between the tiles and often people think it is soap that make this pink, but it is the same stuff.
                            Clean everything with dish cleaning soap and use a tooth brush to get into the corners. If it were black in colour I would be a lot more worried.
                            S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Working...
                            X