Newly diagnosed- bit of a shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed- bit of a shock

Well after years of my wife telling me to get tested I did......

Im mid-50s, BMI 40+ so prob no surprise.
    BUT scored 55 on the HCI? per hour thing. Wow. Over 30 is severe....

Suppose its good that I got tested. Next step is CPAP I guess?

Going to send results to my GP and get on the NHS waiting list but I've heard a year here in Wales. Not waiting that long.

I do have private insurance too (won't pay for CPAP though). I opted to pay for the in home test though because it was the same as the consultant would do anyway so I guess I'll just take the results to him.

On the plus side I did OK on the sleepiness scale so no issues driving. I can't bear to think how life changing this can be for people who have to stop driving.
    Strangely, I'm fine driving and only time I ever fall asleep is in front of the TV!

Good Morning,

Thank you for your post.

I am pleased you have been tested and are looking into treatment. CPAP therapy is the gold standard treatment for sleep apnoea.

Once you have your CPAP machine and mask, should you have any questions or need any help, then please do ask on here. We are always happy to help.

Kelly

Comment

thanks kelly - just bought a brand new Philips dreamstation 2 facebook marketplace.

What mask do i get?

Comment

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

If the tube that comes with the Dreamstation 2 has a 22mm diameter connector on it then you can use any mask on our website.

If you breathe out of you nose only then you would need a nasal mask. If you breathe out of your nose and mouth (ie if you snore) then you would need a full face mask - https://www.cpap.co.uk/cpap-products/cpap-masks/

Kelly

Comment

thanks. yeh bought a full face mask - Its going to take some getting used to.

Comment

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your post. Please do let me know how you get on with your full face mask.

Kelly

Comment

Good luck Paul.

I'm a few months into using a full mask, but struggling to get used to it. I'm told it can take a while sometimes; hopefully you'll get on well with it quickly.

I live in Wales too (Aneurin Bevan Health Board area) and can attest to the slowness of the waiting lists! My apnoea is mild/moderate though; I imagine they prioritise the severe cases first.

All the best,

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X