Two machines and neither make me feel much better in the morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two machines and neither make me feel much better in the morning

I've been a sleep apnea patient in Leeds for about 10 years. I was diagnosed following an at home test and visit to the consultant as having borderline S.A. and as I was offered a standard Resmed S9 CPAP machine decided to have a go. My symptoms of repeatedly waking up at night with a pounding heart and short of breath needed treatment. After the usual problems mainly with the mask, these were resolved when I switched to a full face mask. Nose only didn't work for me as my mouth opens during sleep. I got to know the machine, learned how to take the humidifier apart and clean it and regularly checked my results which showed mainly a good mask fit and mild AHI of about 14. However, I never ever experienced the expected "waking up refreshed, as if I had a good night's sleep." There was a marginal difference sure but despite several more visits to my sleep clinic, when it was open, I never progressed beyond this point.

Wind on a few years to about 6 months ago and as I was still reporting no significant improvement I was offered and took a new control unit to clip onto the humidifier. This is a Resmed AutoSet CS-A PaceWave. It took some time to get used to the increased air pressure just when you're dropping off to sleep and a good mask fit is essential. This seemed to help me slightly better but suffers with the problem that you need a technique to access the readings for the night before. Having learned that, my AHI was showing as anything between 0.1 and 1.4. My thinking is that there is no way it's as low as that.

So my conclusion with both of these machines is that they seem to help slightly in that the number of times I wake up every night gasping for air and with very fast heartbeat is reduced, but is still present with both. Furthermore, about 10 years suffering this must be having a detrimental effect on my heart and may have contributed to my peripheral neuropathy in both feet and legs which is worsening. American studies have connected the two disorders but few UK doctors acknowledge the connection. I also suffer with night leg movement.

I am reaching out with this post very much as a last resort. I know that I could do with a proper hospital based sleep test as (not available during COVID) as at home overnight tests including oxygen levels have not pinpointed where the problem lies. A strange facet of my problem is that when I went away on holiday I rarely took/used my CPAP and usually slept much better and largely without the symptoms I have described.

Any suggestions from medically qualified readers or indeed anyone who has faced a similar problem and hopefully overcome it would be most welcome. At 79 I need to get this sorted. I am relatively fit for my age and exercise regularly, used to go to the gym 3 times a week when it was open. I have a recently diagnosed marginally high blood pressure for which I take tablets. I rarely snore and my condition is drifting towards central sleep apnoea rather than obstructive.

Thanks very much for any help you can give me ;-)

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry you have had a battle with your CPAP therapy in the last 10 years.

Can I kindly ask which CPAP machine you are using, if fixed pressure then what is your prescribed pressure, and what mask you are using.

When you had/have your ResMed CPAP machine, have you contacted ResMed directly for any help with the equipment in the last 10 years?

Would you consider doing a sleep test to review if you still have sleep apnoea, and if so whether mild moderate or severe?

Kelly

Comment

Yes thanks. As you'll see from the above my machine is a Resmed S9 CPAP. How do you check the pressure please?

Comment

Good Afternoon,

You should be able to scroll through the menu options to show you the pressure settings on your machine.

Do you have a manual that you can refer to?

​​​​​​​Kelly

Comment

Hi Kelly. When this equipment is supplied by the NHS Sleep Service settings such as this are preset as it is not the intention that patients change them, therefore I am unable to access the pressure settings nor do I have a full user manual. As I have only just joined this forum, can I ask where are you yourself based and do you have any medical and/or technical training to offer advice? How would any sleep test take place?

My full face mask is a ResMed Quatro Air large.

Many thanks. and you're interest is very much appreciated. I am surprised actually to not get more answers as there must be many users who have not always got the best out of their equipment possible. Are there any other UK based forums do you know?

Comment

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your post.

Can you look at the bottom of your CPAP machine for a label with a barcode on. This will tell you the name of the machine and whether it is an automatic or fixed pressure CPAP machine. Then I can look for a manual for you online. If it is an auto CPAP machine then the pressure will adjust automatically for you as and when you need it.

With regards to the mask, do you get a good fit/seal with the mask? Does any air leak at any point during the CPAP therapy?

We are based in Walton On Thames, Surrey, but our customer service team are currently working from home due to Covid.

With regards to our In Home Sleep test, we send the equipment out in the post to the customer to use for 1 night, and then send it back to us. We then send the data off to an independent sleep technician to review. Once we have their report we email and post you the results. Here is a link to the In Home Sleep Test service should you wish to know more - https://www.sleeptest.co.uk/product/in-home-sleep-test/
            We aim to have the results to you in 2 weeks.

Do you want to have a look and let me know if you have any questions?

Kelly

Comment

Hi Kelly. This is the machine that I am currently using. See jpgs Present machine image and code.
              Attached Files

Comment

...and this is the machine I used previously. Any help you can get me in identifying both models and getting manuals other than the basic ones I have would be very much appreciated.
                Files Previous machine code and image.
                Attached Files

Comment

Referring to my earlier notes, the previous machine I used was a Resmed CPAP and the current one a Resmed ASV.
                  My current Epworth score is 17. Epworth-12-Feb-21.jpg

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like you are using a ResMed S9 Auto CPAP.

Here is a link to where you can download the manual - https://document.resmed.com/document...e_eur1_eng.pdf

This is an auto CPAP machine so will start at a low pressure of 4.0cmh20 when you have put the mask on and turned the machine on. It will stay at this pressure until you are asleep. Once you are asleep the pressure will increase and decrease within the pressure range of 4-20cmh20 when as and when you need it, so you should not need to change the pressure settings.

An AHI of 5 or under is the target with CPAP therapy.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance.

​​​​​​​Kelly

Comment

Thank you yes, that's the machine I no longer use. Do you have a link for the ASV?

Comment

Good Morning

Please find attached a link for the ResMed S9 Autoset CS-A PaceWave - https://document.resmed.com/document...e_eur1_eng.pdf

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                        X