Complete Newby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Newby

So, had my sleep study this week at the local hospital and without seeing the consultant, the nurses told me I will definetley need a CPAP machine. I realise I will need to seee the consultant for his advice but I hope I am getting in early for advice. So, is it prudent to ask for advice on best machine, breathing apparatus, humidifier or not, etc etc.

A little history. As I have got older and heavier, I am now 23stone or around 150kgs, I have become a sleep apnea sufferer. I now have no energy and I desperately need to lose weight if I am to enjoy my kids and my life. I am 48. 10 years ago I was 14 stone and a footballer but had to give up because of bad knees.

I really need help, so please any you can give will be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards to you all,

If you are through the NHS, you probably won't have a choice about the machine, but are very unlikely to get a bad one; basically there aren't any really bad machines.

Masks, if you can cope with a nasal mask that seems to be a better option than full-face. The important thing though is to make sure it is the right size and to try it on at the clinic. You need to try the mask with the machine at the full pressure and while you are laying down; this is how you are using it when you sleep, so anything else is pointless.

Try to make sure you get a humidifier too. Most people see to cope better with one than without. The clinic may push you to try without first, tell them the advice you have is that you are much more likely to succeed if you have one.

Final thing is when you have your machine, come back and ask again. there are all sorts of tricks and pieces of advice to help you get using the machine successfully and get to the point where it is more friend than problem.

Good luck, and welcome to the club

Comment

Fredxx,

Thanks for the reply. I am under the NHS but I am willing to buy my own machine for extreme comfort and effect. I have been led to believe that the consultants are still working ten years behind the latest equipment on the market. With this in miind and taking in to account cheapest/dearest is not always best, I will talk to my consultant and then transfer his advice to this forum to guage response. Thanks again and hope to be in touch soon.

Kind regards,
      Sleepybill

Comment

I know the name of my consultant but I have yet to meet here - but there, I've only been PAPing for three years.

Don't hold your breath about seeing a consultant, sleepybill, especially if you go to SGH.

PAPing is mainly about user experience rather than medical knowledge so this forum is a great place to learn the best way forward and to get support when it isn't working out as you expected.

If you find out how to lose weight, please let me know!

TF
        Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
        Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

I got the latest system one plus humidifier from Sheffield. Brand new in box. they unsealed it when showing me how to operate. Never seen the consultant only snr Registrar but technicians know more about the kit than the docs anyway and can advise you.

I got mine 4 days ( inc weekend) after trialling ApaP machine to determine pressure setting.

Comment

It isn't true to say the NHS is behind the times with the equipment, but it can be a lottery depending on the clinic. I know mine in Wales uses the latest Fischer and Paykell machines, albeit the lower end of the range available.

If you want to get your own machine I suggest you get the NHS one first and see how you go, then get your own after that. I have two machines; the NHS one I use at home, the one I bought I use on the road (I travel a lot)

Probably more important than the machine though is the mask, but you can use pretty much whichever mask you want with pretty much any machine you are supplied with.

Comment

A second machine for battery use/travelling and back-up is handy as Fred says, but I haven't got a bad word for NHS machines. In 8 years I have had three NHS CPAP machines and they have never been less than adequate for the job required. Moreover all have proved reliable - which is the most important factor. Uncomplicated is also good perhaps when you are a beginner.
              My first machine was large and bulky, but delivered the air, had the facility for a ramp (to lower the pressure when getting to sleep), and a flex control (to lower the pressure as you exhale). Plus it had a battery input facility and gave a few basic read-outs.
              Subsequent machines were both smaller and lighter (not an advantage when you accidentally pull on the hose when asleep and the machine flies onto the floor!). My new APAP is top of the range job, but I would be just as happy with either of the older models.

Comment

Thank you all so far for your input. I take it I will be "Paping" for a while according to how many of you have been doing it for so long? I only realised I had this problem once I hit a certain weight.

Once I am paping and feel I have energy from a good sleep again, I hope to lose weight by exercise alone as I am not a big eater and hardly drink because it makes sleeping harder and less in quality.

Thanks again I will be back once I have some more news.

Kind regards,

Sleepybill

Comment

Working...
                X