recently diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recently diagnosed

I was told last week that I need to use a CPAP machine and I am awaiting delivery. Since I was diagnosed, I feel more tired, have no appetite, I haven't been to work. Am I over reacting?

Originally posted by Sleepy L View Post
    I was told last week that I need to use a CPAP machine and I am awaiting delivery. Since I was diagnosed, I feel more tired, have no appetite, I haven't been to work. Am I over reacting?
    Not at all, tiredness effects people in different ways. At first I took no time off work and just plodded on. I then realised that I needed some time off to get use to my mask in my own time so I took a month off and it worked a treat. Dont be too hard on yourself, it wont be long before you find your spark again

Comment

When I got my diagnosis (recently) it was like a weight off my shoulders. The doctors had misdiagnosed me with depression and an under-active thyroid before getting the OSA diagnosis.

It was odd however, when told I had OSA, I did notice I was more tired, had more memory loss and even less concentration than usual. Perhaps it's your body saying "thank you - at last - I've been trying to tell you...."

Comment

Thanks, that is reassuring. I also have been treated with depression, so hopefully things will improve with that too. I am hoping I can get used to the mask and start to feel better.

Comment

I hope so, this is not at all like me, even though I am always tired I just got on with it, then since the diagnosis I have definitely lost my spark!

Comment

Just Diagnosed

Hi-- Oddly enough its normal to get some depression when you are tired all the time, not thinking clearly, and have disturbed sleep. The WHOLE body reacts to OSA--its not just lack of sleep and being tired, Some get told its thyroid, others have been told its diabetes, and others have been told its Rum. Arthritis or Even COPD. When you finally discover what the problem is--then you need to take some time to let yourself relax and start recovery. For some its quick-- and for others it may take longer --everyone is different. For some the diagnose is a great relief--it was for me. I went years tired and wondering what the heck was wrong with me--it was a relief to find out that I actually had a condition that could be treated. So just relax and let your body recover--and hope that the machine will make it a quick recovery. Good luck, Berneta

Comment

Thanks Bernita, will let you know when I get my machine.

Comment

I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago with an under active thyroid and been on medication since then. Now within the last year I have been diagnosed with COPD, type 2 diabetes, and sleep aponea could this have started way back then and lay undiscovered because of thyroid problem giving similar symptoms who knows but having now conquered a few months of masking up (with a few problems along the way) I can now most nights keep my mask on for up to 7/8 hrs and must admit now I feel a bit more energetic and fresh. I have a follow up at the clinic next month so will ask the questions about reading my machine myself rather than wait for the clinic now that I am much more confident using cpap.

Comment

That is so scary you have gone so long without diagnosis. Glad you feel better now you have CPAP, I am hoping for the same, thank you and keep in touch, best wishes

Comment

Working...
                  X