No announcement yet.

Resmed S9 c/w Climate Control Whoop!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resmed S9 c/w Climate Control Whoop!!!

Having been a user of the old Resmed S6 Light for 6 and a half years with absolutely no complaints I have been upgraded by the Churchill Hospital Chest Unit.

I simply was asking for a humidifier to fit the S6, as I've been waking with a desert for a mouth, but they decided instead to upgrade me a little earlier than the full 7 years. So recently I took delivery of the new S9 with its humidifier unit, the climate control special hose and a new Resmed Liberty Mask (hmm).

The S9 is very different to use. It seems to sense when you are breathing in and releases CPAP pressure but when it senses you aren't taking in more air it cuts the supply. The S9 is very pretty and high tech looking but actually a great improvement IMO. It does get through a lot of water with a full tank lasting only a night. Overfill it and you get a lot of water in the hose. The climate control seems a bit of a gimmick so far but I do usually like to have my machine as close to a window as possible to get fresh cool air so I've been setting the temperature to 16 deg (its lowest setting). I'm delighted to get this new CPAP machine especially as it is much quieter and seems to reduce leaks and those fart noises on exhalation. Not sure about the mask though.

Anyone else got this machine and can offer any tips?
    Last edited by mart9012; 10 April 2011, 02:55. Reason: oops.. lol
    Mart -- Happy CPAP User since 2005.
    Resmed S9 Escape + H5i + Climateline and Quattro FX.
    EPR On and Pressure 12cm.

Originally posted by mart9012 View Post

The S9 is very different to use. It seems to sense when you are breathing in and releases CPAP pressure but when it senses you aren't taking in more air it cuts the supply.

That sounds like the flex / epr settings, I find it disconcerting on mine so have it turned off (mine's not a resmed) - there should be different levels of it on the system

Comment

Yeah it's the EPR settings. Quite nice once you are used to them but it doesn't really seem to do more than the old S6 to be honest. I'm not getting any obvious benefit from the humidifier as I still wake with a dry mouth and my skin almost stuck together inside. Still it looks pretty in silver.

Personally, given that the S6 still works fine, does the same job as the far more expensive S7, S8 and my new S9 I can't really see any reason to upgrade as NHS supplied machines don't worry about warranties. Sorry if that sounds a bit unexciting but that is the truth isn't it!

It's a little bit quieter and the EPR seems to help with the air blow. The mask that I hate (liberty) isn't bad for air leakage so my girlfriend likes it better but the nasal pillow things hurt my nose, don't really fit and fall out in the night regularly.

Comment

Exhalation relief/Flex/EPR is generally only useful/beneficial at higher CPAP pressures. I rarely hear anyone swear by it for anything average like a pressure of 11. When you are at 16, it's a different matter and exhalation relief becomes just that, a relief.

Comment

yup,,, my S9 pretty much averages anywhere between 18 and 20 most nights..... epr definatly helps!

Comment

My S9 is set at 12 but I still like the epr when using it. My S6 that I use at my girlfriends is fine but doesn't have the epr function.

How do I know what the optimum setting is for pressure? Originally my S6 was set at 10 and I was advised to raise it by 2 each time I felt it needed it. Is there a point where it is too high and it will cause discomfort?

At it's current setting I don't need the ramp function.

Comment

Hi Mart

Increasing by 2 is way too much in my opinion - too much for your body to accept readily. I use 0.5 every four nights to adjust pressure.

You'll know your pressure is at optimum when your AHI dips to an all time low (averaged over at least four nights) and you wake in the morning feeling refreshed and full of it!

Increase your pressure beyond your optimum and your AHI will start to rise again.

Higher pressures are not so much uncomfortable - if appraoached gradually - as makinhg leaks more of a problem. You have to adjust your headgear at the max pressure even if you use ramp - a good idea at higher pressures.

TF
              Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
              Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Originally posted by mart9012 View Post
                How do I know what the optimum setting is for pressure?
                That's the million dollar question!

TF has given you the low-down, but let me expand... In order of precision:

- Keep note of how you feel and adjust accordingly (not recommended practice)
                - Keep note of the machine AHI reading and adjust accordingly
                - Combine the above two
                - Use a finger pulse oximeter to verify you no longer have oxygen (what experienced DIYers do)desaturations. Some here buy there own, some do our follow-up sleep study. (Whilst wearing CPAP)
                - Do a follow-up respiratory study which connects a pressure cannula to your mask to verify you don't desaturate anymore but also to get an accurate picture on remaining AHI, more accurate than your machine.

Comment

resmed s9 help please

Hi, i have just recieved my very first machine for my newly diagnosed sleep apeona. It is a resmes s9. The instruction booklet tells me very little, can any one help me ajust the machine as i do not feel as though it is keeping my throat open at the moment. I have been reading the posts but you are all so much more knowledgeble , for instance what is the epr function, where do i find the pressure setting and what is AHI
                  any help would be most welcome
                  irene

Comment

Hi Irene

and welcome!

EPR is Exhalation Pressure Relief - the machine lowers the delivery pressure as you breathe out, making it easier to do so. Usually there are settings 1, 2 and 3.

AHI is the average number of 'events' per hour, counted over the entire sleep period.

As you feel the pressure is not high enough, call your clinic and talk to them. Time to adjust the pressure yourself when you are much more au fait with PAPing - keep reading and you'll soon pick up on how it all works and fits together.

TF
                    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
                    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Humidifier problems

I'm not convinced the humidifier is working properly on my new S9 Autoset; even set at max I'm getting a dry mouth. The water inside just feels tepid and the plates aren't very hot.

Spoke to ResMed who were unconvinced; saying that it works differently from the S8 as it responds to humidity levels in the room. I'm having to send it to their tech dept at my expense for them to check it out. If I'd known that their aftersales service was like this I would have bought different kit.
                      ResMed S9 Autoset with humidifier and ClimateLine
                      ResMed Mirage Liberty and Quattro Air masks
                      Sinupulse

Comment

I have the same kit but the hospital didn't supply the climate line tubing so I bought it myself. Im new to all this but when I started off with the swift FX mask I was getting really dry and painful nasal passages but since using the humidifier etc Ive had no problems at all. I did think to begin with that the humidifier wasn't working but I was told that because it was summer and because of the way the machine responds to humidity in the air I might think its not working. After getting the climate line I can tell its working.

Comment

Working...
                        X