Welcome to the CPAP Forums. - Please register so you can post and interact with other CPAP users. Click the "register" link to proceed (only takes a minute). To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Navigation Panel
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Classifieds Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go BackCPAP Forums > CPAP Therapy > CPAP Masks : Puffy bags under eyes!!

Old 29th July 2011, 11:27
No longer just "new" - try "new and improved"!

eheavie43 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Puffy bags under eyes!!

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem ? I am having terrible problems with my mask with leakage during the night. Another thing which adds to the problem is that I have to get up at least 3 times a night so have to take off the mask and turn off the CPAP machine each time. In between times I am wakened up with the mask leaking ! I feel absolutely shattered !!! I have noticed that I now have large puffy bags under my eyes every morning which are only disappearing before bedtime ? My eyes also water all day. Is this usual? I am not aware of air leaking into my eyes.
Old 29th July 2011, 12:19
Lord of the Sleep

Tigers Fan will become famous soon enoughTigers Fan will become famous soon enough

I reckon as a rule of thumb that if a mask leaks, some goes into your eyes! Just the nature of the beast. It is very common - inevitable, even - that a mask will leak if the headgear is not 'properly' adjusted.

Golden rule - loose is better. Too tight causes leaks and sore faces and tramlines.

Read the fitting instructions for your mask - again. Lay on your bed during the day and practise getting a good seal. Start by holding the mask to your face - play around to discover what causes leaks and what fixes them. You will find a 'sweet spot' at a certain 'height' on your face.

Now try to replicate that same feeling using your geadgear straps - just tight enough to stop leaks plus cinch in another 2mm on each fastening (gives an anchor against night movement).

Just keep on playing till you find your mask sweet spot.

Have you tried RemZzzs? They are great for getting a good mask fit.

TF
Old 29th July 2011, 12:51
Former Serial Snorer

Berneta is on a distinguished road
Red face Puffy Bags

Well here's one I read that models use for bags under the eyes. Hemmorrhoid Cream. It shrinks hemmorrhoids and will do the same for puffy bags under the eyes. Makes sense --give it a try. But you should investigate the "cause" of the bags. My guess would be air is leaking into your eyes through your tear ducts which connect to your nose. You might have to wear an eye mask like is used for sleeping. Good Luck, xx Berneta
Old 29th July 2011, 13:09
No longer just "new" - try "new and improved"!

eheavie43 is on a distinguished road

Yes I have tried the liners with limited success. I think having to take the mask off several times during the night doesn't help!!
Old 29th July 2011, 14:07
Lord of the Sleep

Tigers Fan will become famous soon enoughTigers Fan will become famous soon enough

I would anticipate fewer loo visits each night if you can fix the leaks - not only will the annoyances stop but you would be at the correct pressure.

You could try separating the mask and the hose and wearing the mask to the loo - just don't go wandering hotel corridors like that!

TF
Old 29th July 2011, 15:52
Intus Healthcare (EU-PAP)

James @ Intus is on a distinguished road

Which mask do you have? Some lend themselves better (quick release methods) than others for night-time bathroom breaks. Masks like the Hans Rudolph can be decoupled where the mask connects to the hose, so you keep the mask on (and don't have to tinker with the straps) when you wander about. Other masks need the whole thing to come off and repositioned when you come back to bed.

So if you have issues with leaks AND the toilet breaks, perhaps a different mask is a better idea altogether.

James from Intus Healthcare
Now also on Twitter
Old 29th July 2011, 19:57
New Patient

Margaret is on a distinguished road

I can relate to the eye watering, I have gunge in my eyes evry morning
My mask is a good old NHS one that is never checked, anything goes wrong I have to ring them up and they will send a replacement, it must be well over a year since I took the machine for a check up. I can't afford to buy a new one so I am at their mercy so to speak
Old 30th July 2011, 09:52
Lord of the Sleep

Gunge is not watering! May I suggest a trip to your GP for some anti-biotic eye ointment/drops?

TF
Old 31st July 2011, 00:45
Lord of the Sleep

Sparticus is on a distinguished road
Default Size?

Try a larger mask size it may cure your probs and has for loo breaks just pull the hose off and take your mask with you