Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lip Leakage - Blowing raspberries!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this (3 days) and last night was the worst by far! I have a Remstar Plus with a ComfortGel nasal mask, top pressure set to 12, ramp starts at 8 for 30 minutes.

Once the 12cm kicked in, I dozed off nicely; no leaks, no eye-puffs, no dripping, but then - PLZZZZZ! a loud 'farting' sound escaped my lips; imagine playing a trumpet, but without the trumpet!

Drifted back off slowly...mmmm...PLLZZZ! Damn! This kept happening nearly all night - how can I stop it? Tape? Staples?

Hi Mate, looks like you are a mouth breather. Have you tried a full face mask? This covers the nose and mouth and would stop the mouth farting.
    Regards and Good Luck, Barry
    Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Comment

looks like you are a mouth breather
      Don't think that's it - no problem before, but it's just occurred to me that the pressure could be a tad high. I'll drop it to 11 and see what that does.

Comment

Are you saying that the air goes in via your nose just fine but upon exhalation through the mouth you get this vibration causing noise?

Tape, or a chin strap, could indeed ensure the nose remains point of entry as well as exit of the air.

Comment

Hi Joe,

No, it's going in through my nose, but sort of leaking past my tongue and coming out the corner of my mouth.

I tried 11 but it still did it
          I've dropped the pressure to 10.5 and had no recurrence, but I do feel a bit short of breath about 3-4 a.m.

Comment

If it's going in through the nose and out through the mouth, a chin strap might well do the trick for you. That would make the air come out of the nose again.

Comment

Thanks Joe,

I believe it's just a temporary tongue-learning problem, in that my tongue's too weak just yet to hold off the pressure.
              As I get used to it, so the effect seems to get less, so as in all things CPAP - perseverence is the key!

Comment

This non-doctor prescribes 10 minute sessions of French snogging every hour for 6 months to train the tongue

Comment

Is that a tonge in cheek answer?
                  Start Weight 167.3 kg 09/05/08 Op. Date 08/06/08 163.9 kg NOW 118.4 kg Lost 48.9 kg or 7 Stone 10lbs 58% of Est. Total Loss, BMI was 50 now 35.3

Comment

Doing fine at 10.5 now - 7 hours straight last night
                    I feel like a 19-year-old!

Where can I find one? [wink]

Comment

When you find one let me know her mates name.

Great news, you will still have the odd bad night. Don't worry! Once you get it right you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Comment

Working...
                      X