Puffy bags under eyes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffy bags under eyes!!

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem ? I am having terrible problems with my mask with leakage during the night. Another thing which adds to the problem is that I have to get up at least 3 times a night so have to take off the mask and turn off the CPAP machine each time. In between times I am wakened up with the mask leaking ! I feel absolutely shattered !!! I have noticed that I now have large puffy bags under my eyes every morning which are only disappearing before bedtime ? My eyes also water all day. Is this usual? I am not aware of air leaking into my eyes.

I reckon as a rule of thumb that if a mask leaks, some goes into your eyes! Just the nature of the beast. It is very common - inevitable, even - that a mask will leak if the headgear is not 'properly' adjusted.

Golden rule - loose is better. Too tight causes leaks and sore faces and tramlines.

Read the fitting instructions for your mask - again. Lay on your bed during the day and practise getting a good seal. Start by holding the mask to your face - play around to discover what causes leaks and what fixes them. You will find a 'sweet spot' at a certain 'height' on your face.

Now try to replicate that same feeling using your geadgear straps - just tight enough to stop leaks plus cinch in another 2mm on each fastening (gives an anchor against night movement).

Just keep on playing till you find your mask sweet spot.

Have you tried RemZzzs? They are great for getting a good mask fit.

TF
    Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
    Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Puffy Bags

Well here's one I read that models use for bags under the eyes. Hemmorrhoid Cream. It shrinks hemmorrhoids and will do the same for puffy bags under the eyes. Makes sense --give it a try. But you should investigate the "cause" of the bags. My guess would be air is leaking into your eyes through your tear ducts which connect to your nose. You might have to wear an eye mask like is used for sleeping. Good Luck, xx Berneta

Comment

Yes I have tried the liners with limited success. I think having to take the mask off several times during the night doesn't help!!

Comment

I would anticipate fewer loo visits each night if you can fix the leaks - not only will the annoyances stop but you would be at the correct pressure.

You could try separating the mask and the hose and wearing the mask to the loo - just don't go wandering hotel corridors like that!

TF

Comment

Which mask do you have? Some lend themselves better (quick release methods) than others for night-time bathroom breaks. Masks like the Hans Rudolph can be decoupled where the mask connects to the hose, so you keep the mask on (and don't have to tinker with the straps) when you wander about. Other masks need the whole thing to come off and repositioned when you come back to bed.

So if you have issues with leaks AND the toilet breaks, perhaps a different mask is a better idea altogether.

Comment

I can relate to the eye watering, I have gunge in my eyes evry morning
              My mask is a good old NHS one that is never checked, anything goes wrong I have to ring them up and they will send a replacement, it must be well over a year since I took the machine for a check up. I can't afford to buy a new one so I am at their mercy so to speak

Comment

Gunge is not watering! May I suggest a trip to your GP for some anti-biotic eye ointment/drops?

TF

Comment

Size?

Try a larger mask size it may cure your probs and has for loo breaks just pull the hose off and take your mask with you

Comment

I have trouble with under eye bags from the pressure of the mask on my face all night. If I loosen the mask? It "farts" which wakes me. *Sigh* PS: One thing I learned, which was useful - is about the ramp on the CPAP machine. Once you are accustomed to using a cpap? The ramp is stupid. It is usually set to gradually ramp up to the correct pressure after 20 minutes. Which means - each time you need to get up and get a drink or use the bathroom? You start all over with waiting 20 mins for proper pressure. I reset my machine to have almost no ramp time. Much better!

Comment

Hi NolaL

Thank you for your post.

Can you check you have the right size mask for your face?

Have you watched a fitting video on youtube to check that you are putting on and adjusting the mask correctly. Some people tend to adjust the mask whilst sitting up, rather then whilst laying down. Your face shape is different sitting up to laying down.

Have you tried a sample pack of RemZzzs mask liners? These are a soft cotton fabric liner creates a barrier, absorbs skin oils and reduces air leaks as well as skin irritation and pressure marks.
                      Here is the link to the product page - https://www.cpap.co.uk/remzzzs-cpap-...sk-liners.html
                      You just need to scroll down the product page to the compatibility chart to find your mask / mask size to see which options you should select on the drop down menu page.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                      X