Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep Study Results

Hello there,

I still class myself as a new patient with the CPAP Therapy. I have a letter from the Sleep Clinic with the measurements and results, of which I won't lie, I don't understand.

CPAP Device -
    ResMed S9 Escape.

Humidifier -
    ResMed H5i.

Prescribed Pressure -
    14 cmH2O

Pre-CPAP
    AHI/DIP - 7.2 EV/HR, 28.5 EV/HR in REM
    Weight - 86.1kgs
    ESS - 7/24

Post CPAP
    AHI/DIP - 4.6 EV/HR
    ESS - 5/24

Just wanted to share these results and maybe see if anyone can explain some of the results. All I remember from the Consultation after the Sleep Study was that during the Dream Sleep, my breathing starts playing up.

Hi Wesley, sorry for the tardy reply. Alas I'm not a number cruncher (I belong to the school of , if it works don't think about it) but if there is anything you don't understand then go back to your sleep clinic and ask questions. My own lot wanted to tell me lots of numbers and weren't too happy when I just left it as I feel great, it's working and I am perfectly willing to chat with anyone in the waiting room who is feeling a bit worried about the whole face hugger thing. There are a few guys who know more about this if you repost , maybe in general chat so it gets noticed.
    In the meantime I hope all is going well with you and your Cpap machine is now your best friend and has an appropriate nickname.
    Blowing in the (Cpap) wind

Comment

It means your machine is set at a pressure of 14 what sits. Mine is 9. Differs for every one. Before you used the mask you had between 7.2 and 28 times when you stopped breathing per hour. I don't know what ESS is - but generally that is a diagnosis of moderate sleep apnea. Now you are down to about 4 events per hour which is pretty normal and proves your therapy works...
      DeVilbiss Sleep Cube DV54 Auto
      Sleepweaver

Comment

Love the whatsits..........mental pic of of something sitting on my cpap counting my whats all night. Since I go through life in a mildly confused/surprised manner (picture Arthur Dent) then "What" in Latin over crossed question marks would be my coat of arms.
        Blowing in the (Cpap) wind

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley949 View Post
          Hello there,

I still class myself as a new patient with the CPAP Therapy. I have a letter from the Sleep Clinic with the measurements and results, of which I won't lie, I don't understand.

CPAP Device -
          ResMed S9 Escape.

Humidifier -
          ResMed H5i.

Prescribed Pressure -
          14 cmH2O

Pre-CPAP
          AHI/DIP - 7.2 EV/HR, 28.5 EV/HR in REM
          Weight - 86.1kgs
          ESS - 7/24

Post CPAP
          AHI/DIP - 4.6 EV/HR
          ESS - 5/24

Just wanted to share these results and maybe see if anyone can explain some of the results. All I remember from the Consultation after the Sleep Study was that during the Dream Sleep, my breathing starts playing up.
          Hi Wesley,

We haven't heard from you in a while. How are you getting on with your CPAP treatment now?

Each CPAP machine will be set at the pressure prescribed to you from your sleep study results, in this case a pressure of 14cmH20. You can also opt for an automatic CPAP machine which will alter the pressure for you so you can feel confident that your CPAP machine is doing its job, without worrying what the figures mean. Did I mention that automatic machines are also more comfortable than fixed pressure machines as they generally operate at a much lower pressure throughout the night until an apnoea is detected in which the pressure will raise (until the apnoea has passed again).

We hope you have found peace with your equipment and are getting the treatment you deserve and require.

I look forward to hearing your response about how you are getting on with your cpap treatment!

Intus Healthcare offer Europe's largest choice in Auto-CPAP devices for Obstructive Sleep Apnoea therapy. Browse APAP machine by Respironics, Fisher & Paykel, DeVilbiss, Breas and more.

Comment

So, almost 2-years of CPAP Therapy. Definitely has not been the easiest of lifestyle changes. Wearing a mask at night was always going to take a while to adapt and it varies between patients and with me, I am still adjusting although its more easier to fall asleep wearing but you still know something is covering your face at the same time.

I am using the ResMed Mirage Quattro full-face mask, the S9 Eclipse pump and the H5i Humidifier. In the first few days, wearing this mask cause irritation to the bridge of my nose to a point where it became sore and an ulcer had formed. I had to start wearing a plaster on the bridge of my nose (I still do) to avoid the mask making contact but this was then prone to air-leaks, being uncomfortable and after a few Months, my nose had become worse and I did stop wearing the mask for a bit and the Hospital even provided me a different mask. I cannot remember which one, I just remember it covers the mouth and had two nose storks to sit inside the nose but this was one horrible mask to wear. When the prescribed air came through, it blew the nose storks out and the air-leaking was so bad and I started using tape to secure to my nose but still the air leaked. This mask made me so frustrated and even did cry myself to sleep as I couldn't take it any longer.

I went back to the Mirage Quattro and I am still using it today. My nose has healed up, still wear a plaster on my nose every time and I use the CPAP Therapy a lot more now.

2014-2015 was not the best as I only used it 114 nights in 365-days. But I had an operation in late 2014 and due to the surgery within my mouth, I could not wear the mask properly without consistent air leaks so I did go without it for a few weeks at a time.

In all honesty, I do not feel that my tiredness has improved as I still feel tired daily. When I do not use the mask, I do wake up more tired as opposed to waking up wearing it. The initial wake-up I am exhausted but during the day I guess I can see a slight difference. But I had 10-years of bad sleep so maybe I am still playing catch-up as CPAP is not an overnight fix but I do this it is something I am finally adjusting too and accepting it.

Comment

That is copied from another Post I made a few weeks back.

Comment

I started off on a Positive Pressure of 14cmH20 but my letter from the Sleep Hospital have stated my machine is on a 12cmH20 pressure. I was not aware I had dropped down. I have always known to be on a 14 set-pressure so I might need to contact my Sleep Hospital as I am finding myself more tired despite wearing the CPAP mask daily.

I couldn't get on with the Variable machine as I used to wake up very tired and did not feel as though the therapy was working so I have gone back to a CPAP machine.

Comment

Hello Wesley949,

Thank you for sharing your CPAP story with us.

If you are feeling tired throughout the day, then I would suggest booking an appointment with your sleep hospital so that you can discuss your concerns with them.

They might think that you need a slightly higher pressure if you are experiencing sleepiness during the day and they will be able to adjust your machine accordingly.

Let us know how you get on!

Comment

If your pressure used to be 14 and it is now 12 that is odd. The Clinic would normally tell you if they were going to change your pressure. Give them a phone to get it checked.
                    S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Working...
                    X