Provent Sleep Therapy - an alternative to CPAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provent Sleep Therapy - an alternative to CPAP

An alternative OSA treatment is now available in the UK; Provent Sleep Therapy.

It uses two valves attached to the nostrils, which restricts exhalation. This resistance creates pressure in the airway (effectively the same as CPAP).

While relatively new to the UK, Provent has a lot of clinical validation behind it to prove its effectiveness, and is already used by thousands of OSA patients worldwide.

It is a prescription item, so written confirmation of its suitability is required to purchase it.

More information can be found on the CPAP.co.uk listing for Provent, and here is a video explaining it in more detail:

It is early days over here - but we would love to hear your thoughts if you have tried it already. And if you haven't - feel free to ask any questions!
    Tom @ Intus

You can now follow Intus on Twitter!

I like the way they are so sure that people will breathe through their nose when they fall asleep!
    I think most people will breathe through the mouth with this in place as it will have less resistance, but maybe it would be worth a try if you can't use CPAP.
    I am also not convinced the airway would stay open as it is usually when one breathes in that the airway collapses.
    I don't think I would get it to stick long enough to my nose, but I might be wrong.
    I am surprised they use sticky tape, I thought if it were to work as they say they would have a strap to go over the head and the sticky pads with reversed glue so you could stick new ones on the overhead strap.
    This of course would be of no use to a mouth breather!
    So tempted to try them, but I do not think they would work for me.
    I would think it has been designed for a Mild Sleep Apnoea patient?
    S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

Hi S2S, thank you for your comments.

You're right, Provent is primarily intended for those with Mild and Moderate OSA, and is mainly those who haven't been able to get on with CPAP. It can be used with Severe OSA as well, but it doesn't tend to reduce the AHI enough on its own, you might need an oral device at the same time. It is also useful for short term use while travelling.

And as you rightly say, you do need to breathe through their nose during sleep - the same as a nasal CPAP mask in that respect. Though a chin strap could help if you generally nasal breathe, with the occasional jaw opening. But if you mouth breathe most/all of the night, then Provent definitely isn't the right option.

I think the idea behind the sticky pads is they're trying to get away from straps etc, as it is for those who can't tolerate CPAP - and the straps are one of the reasons behind that. So I think they're looking for a totally different approach to attract those who have given up on CPAP.

The logic about pressure being needed on inhalation is right, and it doesn't sound like it should work, but clinical studies show it really does. It isn't as effective as CPAP, but the residual pressure does a surprisingly good job of keeping the airway open. There some good feedback from patients on their own website here.

It isn't for everyone, but studies showed that it worked for 81% of patients. But as you said; nasal breathers, with mild or moderate OSA, are the most likely to find success with it.

Comment

Working...
      X