Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone's snoring/apnoea got worse since using CPAP/APAP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone's snoring/apnoea got worse since using CPAP/APAP?

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with OSA almost 6 years ago (though I think I've had it most of my life - even as a child - I'm 47 now). I had an average of 33 events an hour. At first, I really could not get on with the machine (I was pregnant at the time, which probably didn't help). It was only when I had to have surgery about 1.5 years ago that I forced myself to use it properly for about 3 months before and finally came to accept it and used it consistently for about 6 months. I then had to stop for a while because my wee one had very distrubed sleep and was scared of the mask (not a good combo!). However, I needed surgery again in September and went back to using the mask and have used it every night since.

Anyhow - long intro but here's the point. I've noticed, for the last couple of months, that if I fall asleep on the sofa, my snoring is worse than it used to be. I used to be fairly unbothered by my apnoea - tired and a bit headachey occasionally but most of the effect was on my poor hubby and my blood pressure. Now I'm noticing it myself. Last night I was away for the night and didn't take the machine. Woke myself gasping and snoring 3 hours into the night and the back of my throat was sore, my uvula (the dangly bit at the back of your throat) was all swollen up. Took ibuprofen and went back to sleep - repeated the horrible awakening many times and feel awful today. So, it appears my worries were right - my apnoea/snoring is now at a place where I actually can't manage without the machine at all, even for one night.

Hubby came up with the idea that using tha APAP machine has allowed my throat tone to deteriorate (same theory as glasses making eye muscles lazy, he thinks). Could he be right? Anyone else had this? Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by silver6; 13 March 2016, 16:31.

That's one theory. It may be that it has just got a bit worse.
    But he may have a point.
    S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

He might have a point as since using a CPAP I to find it hard to be without a machine and snore very easily now.
      I think you will fine most user will say much the same, that they find it hard to do without the machine.
      However, after saying that I know quite a few people that after loosing weight they now do not need a CPAP/APAP machine and are Sleep Apnoea clear.
      However, I am one of the unlucky few. I was in hospital for best part of a year and lost loads of weight.
      I was down below my ideal weight and still had Sleep Apnoea.
      So I am stuck with it, however, as long as I use the machine I am fine.
      Loosing weight is not easy, but my two sons lost loads of weight going to Slimming World and they did not go hungry.
      Some of the things they were allowed to eat was what Dietitians tell you to avoid.
      Some things you can eat as much as you want and you still loose weight.
      It is down to what you eat and not the amount in some cases.

I can't even get anything other than a small nap without the machine now.
      I always wake myself up these days lol.
      S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

I started with a CPAP machine and had to really wind it up to get a good night, but then I swallowed a load of air, and it did seem to make the SA worse.
        I changed to an APAP (adjusts itself to what you need, only WHEN you need it) which helped both, a lot.
        Americans only seem to use APAPs. They cost a lot more believe.
        Losing weight helped me a bit. Going from BMI 42 to about 37 meant I could get through the night, but down at 26 I still needed the machine really. I say that past tense, because the BMI's up a bit since then, inevitably.

Comment

There is a lot of Americans would like an APAP machine, but it is their medical insurance that will not pay out for one.
          Those that can afford one buy one. They have to fight to get APAPs according to what I have read in American forums.
          It is a shame that everyone has to fight to get APAPs, once you get the low air pressure setting right they are a lot easier for most to use.
          S2S - Sleep2Snore

Comment

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that CPAP makes your throat lazy. Quite the opposite. Studies that have measured AHI on consecutive days after CPAP withdrawal and show that there is a bit of a carryon effect for about up to a week ..So the AHI gradually creeps back up until it is back to where you were before starting CPAP.
            Without meaning to be personal, have you put on weight? (It happens to us all particularly after a baby). If so, this is more likely the reason for worsening apnoeas.

Comment

Working...
            X