Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get the most out of my initial appointment?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi windowleaper

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to be as prepared as possible. If my head had been screwed on right at the beginning, I would've done the same as you. As it was I felt absolutely blindsided. I was convinced they'd made a mistake. Even as I went for my 3 month follow-up, I was sure I was saying goodbye to my machine even though I was feeling better with it. I'm only a little strange

Just on Saturday I was at a CPAP Users Meeting organised by the Dept of Sleep Medicine where I'm treated. If you get the opportunity to attend something like this it's well worth it. Not only did we have talks on local service improvements and a little of the science behind OSA, but also general advice (including 'sleep hygiene'), and even talks from patients and their partners. It was a great way to hear others' takes on dealing with it, and comforting to hear that the problems you have are shared by others too... just as in here. I think it's valuable to be able to put faces to the words of wisdom; it makes it feel a lot more personal. There were also very knowledgable reps from the companies, with plenty of stock of have a play with. All the web searches in the world can't substitute for being able to feel masks, see how they move, understand the difference in materials for the seals/cushions.

I'm babbling perhaps, but it was a valuable experience and I'm so grateful my hospital was able to run this annual event. It's just a shame there was only around 5% attendance of their ongoing patients. If your hospital does something similar, I really would urge you to try it. I think you'd find it invaluable.

Judging from your penultimate post your appointment would be about due now, I think? Please do let us know how you're doing.

Good luck. Though from the way you seem to have been preparing, I suspect you won't need much!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaele74 View Post
      Hi windowleaper

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to be as prepared as possible. If my head had been screwed on right at the beginning, I would've done the same as you. As it was I felt absolutely blindsided. I was convinced they'd made a mistake. Even as I went for my 3 month follow-up, I was sure I was saying goodbye to my machine even though I was feeling better with it. I'm only a little strange

Just on Saturday I was at a CPAP Users Meeting organised by the Dept of Sleep Medicine where I'm treated. If you get the opportunity to attend something like this it's well worth it. Not only did we have talks on local service improvements and a little of the science behind OSA, but also general advice (including 'sleep hygiene'), and even talks from patients and their partners. It was a great way to hear others' takes on dealing with it, and comforting to hear that the problems you have are shared by others too... just as in here. I think it's valuable to be able to put faces to the words of wisdom; it makes it feel a lot more personal. There were also very knowledgable reps from the companies, with plenty of stock of have a play with. All the web searches in the world can't substitute for being able to feel masks, see how they move, understand the difference in materials for the seals/cushions.

I'm babbling perhaps, but it was a valuable experience and I'm so grateful my hospital was able to run this annual event. It's just a shame there was only around 5% attendance of their ongoing patients. If your hospital does something similar, I really would urge you to try it. I think you'd find it invaluable.

Judging from your penultimate post your appointment would be about due now, I think? Please do let us know how you're doing.

Good luck. Though from the way you seem to have been preparing, I suspect you won't need much!
      Thanks Kaele74,

My appointment is next Monday so not so long to wait now. As you may be able to tell If such as meeting as yours is available in my area I would go even after treatment has been going a while. The advancement in technology and understanding is moving fast and I would always want the best information and choice of kit.

On a good note I am looking forward to having a beer once settled with treatment as I found even a couple in an evening and I wake up feeling 10 x worse.

Thanks to all who have added to this thread as your help, information and advice really makes a difference.

Comment

Ahem!

Hi windowleaper

I'd hold off on that beer if I were you - at least until you are well settled on CPAP.

Alcohol relaxes one's muscles and relaxed throat muscles cause? You got it! Apnoeas! So a drink might well mess up your stats during the very period you are struggling to get used to your Limpet - and it may also relax your mind enough to tolerate the Limpet.

I'm not suggesting that Hose-heads should not or cannot drink - but there are conseqences, especially if one becomes two becomes.....

TF
        Respironics REMstar 'M' Series APAP.
        Resmed Mirage 'Quattro FX' Full Face Mask with a 'Quattro' headgear.

Comment

Not Just Masks

Hi Windowleaper, since starting a few months ago I have used different machines and many different settings also with and without humidifiers, so dont forget to ask about different machines as well and what they do, after different trials on different machines I am now settled but not on CPAP Im on APAP. My clinic are amazing and I cant fault them. They went through all the masks how to clean them and strip them down and I even spent about 45 mins sitting up and lying down so I got the right one and after measuring my face they said I was a medium but it seemed tight so I went for a large and it fitted like a glove so dont be scared to try all sizes as well. We also went through the machine, ie settings and filter changes, hoses etc. Not to mention a deep discussion on problems I may encounter.

To cut a very long story short, they gave me the works and if I have any probs I only have to call them night and day. My clinic is in Edinburgh. So as the other peeps have told you ask and ask again if your not sure about something, its for your benefit

Comment

Working...
          X